NUFC v Arsenal - 13/8/11 - 5.30pm - Live on ESPN - MATCH ON

Fatwax

Newcastle United's Joey Barton to start against Arsenal‎

Daily Mail - Colin Young - 6 minutes ago

Joey Barton will start for Newcastle United on Saturday evening after being brought back to the side for the season's opener at home to ..

Will be glad to see him playing.

----------------------- Krul ------------------------

Simpson ---- Taylor ---- Coloccini ----- Perch?

---------------------- Tiote -------------------------

------------- Barton ------ Cabaye --------------

Jonas ---------------------------------- Marveaux

------------------------ Ba --------------------------

... something like that maybe? Looks okay on paper, aside from the absence of Jose (and more importantly, whoever will be coming in to replace him)... pity the formula hasn't been tried and tested in pre-season, however. We'll need a steely engine room given the shaky summer that the defense has had (due, mainly imo, to the re-emergence of Taylor).

Will be glad to see him playing.

----------------------- Krul ------------------------

Simpson ---- Taylor ---- Coloccini ----- Perch?

---------------------- Tiote -------------------------

------------- Barton ------ Cabaye --------------

Jonas ---------------------------------- Marveaux

------------------------ Ba --------------------------

... something like that maybe? Looks okay on paper, aside from the absence of Jose (and more importantly, whoever will be coming in to replace him)... pity the formula hasn't been tried and tested in pre-season, however. We'll need a steely engine room given the shaky summer that the defense has had (due, mainly imo, to the re-emergence of Taylor).

That central midfield man.... :pedro:

I know Arsenal have quit a few players out but I just can't see us winning this one. If we kept Enrique for this game and sold him on Sunday then I would be more confident, but I jet think that we have a real weakness on the left and maybe Arsenal's backup squad will be good enough to either win this game or at least draw.

I'm hoping that I'm proved wrong and we get a good result, but as it stands I would take a draw right now and hope that this time we don't have to come from 4-0 down.

Got to go 4-4-2 IMO. Only dilemma is who to play alongside Ba and who too play at LB.

our best chance imo in the game is to get hold of the midfield and try and protect the back 4 which Arsenal could rip apart and if we went 4-4-2 I'd fear our midfield might lose a grip on the game and they'd pass us to death.

Got to go 4-4-2 IMO. Only dilemma is who to play alongside Ba and who too play at LB.

our best chance imo in the game is to get hold of the midfield and try and protect the back 4 which Arsenal could rip apart and if we went 4-4-2 I'd fear our midfield might lose a grip on the game and they'd pass us to death.

Fuck it, go for it, worked in the 2nd half last season. I get where you're coming from though but IMO their centre backs are their worst position and we need to put as much pressure on that as possible. We could do with being pretty direct tomorrow despite all Pardews blather about being a controlled passing team.*

* Don't think we're anywhere near good enough to do this anyway.

Fuck it, go for it, worked in the 2nd half last season. I get where you're coming from though but IMO their centre backs are their worst position and we need to put as much pressure on that as possible. We could do with being pretty direct tomorrow despite all Pardews blather about being a controlled passing team.*

* Don't think we're anywhere near good enough to do this anyway.

it is their weakest position but imho the best way to get at them is to get control of the match in the centre of the park, that 2nd half comeback was brought about partly because of Arsenal going down to 10 men, not sure it would have happened if it was 11 v 11

I'd like to see:

Krul

Simpson Williamson Coloccini ???

Tiote

Barton                Cabaye

Marveaux                  Jonas

Ba

Think we'll see Best/Shola instead of Marveaux though and play a simple 4-4-2. Is Ferguson definitely out of this btw?

So we're believing this article then? Because if so that probably means Perch. :blush:

I hope so because Perch is a damn sight better defender than Raylor.

Bathing in shit is so much better than having your water supplies replaced with semen.

am waiting for pardew to mess up the tactics on this one.  AM predicting the idiot will play 442 with ba and ameobi up front.  Effectively playing with 8 outfield players.....counting the patched up LB.

We need 5 in midfield for this, so we can protect the left side.  Gonna be touch and go.  Only thing stopping this being a rout is arsenal are looking patched up too.

score: 2-4