Rob Elliot (now at Gateshead)

EthiGeordie

Im guessing Pardew thinks Harper is getting on and wants to play a younger keeper, but cant keep Forster satisfied with sitting on the bench, at least not this season anyway.

I've had it on good authority that Harper isn't prepared to travel to away games to just sit on the bench and would rather stay at home and watch his son play junior football instead.

The proof of whether this is true of course will come on saturday.

I sincerely hope it's horseplop as although i'm not a fan of Harper the thought of this bloke having to come on if Krul get's injured scares the bejeesus of out of me!

Elliot will be on the bench at Wolves according to Pardew today in the Chronicle.

http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/newcastle-united/nufc-news/2011/09/29/bench-position-awaits-rob-elliot-at-molineux-72703-29506159/

If that's so then Harper is as big a disgrace as Tevez.

:lol: no he isn't. If Pardew has said that they'll be taking it in turns for bench duty/reserve games, I'd say it's perfectly reasonable for Harper to then voice that he'd rather be on the bench for the home games so he can watch his kids play every other weekend. Pardew could obviously then choose to ignore it and Harper would have to accept it either way, but comparing that to the Tevez situation is laughable.

If Harper wants to be one of our keepers, he should sit on the bench whenever and wherever he's asked to, every week. This bollocks about watching his kids play is complete shit IMO.

Very disappointed if he really has asked for that. If he's done with being a footballer then he should retire.

Harper has been in the game a long time and has been at the club for longer than nearly everyone - he's well within his rights to ask. Pardew is well within his rights to say 'fuck that' and Harper would then have to back down. I don't see the issue.

Elliot will be on the bench at Wolves according to Pardew today in the Chronicle.

http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/newcastle-united/nufc-news/2011/09/29/bench-position-awaits-rob-elliot-at-molineux-72703-29506159/

If that's so then Harper is as big a disgrace as Tevez.

:lol: no he isn't. If Pardew has said that they'll be taking it in turns for bench duty/reserve games, I'd say it's perfectly reasonable for Harper to then voice that he'd rather be on the bench for the home games so he can watch his kids play every other weekend. Pardew could obviously then choose to ignore it and Harper would have to accept it either way, but comparing that to the Tevez situation is laughable.

Poppycock.

He cannot dictate to the club that he does bench duty at home only and won't travel away.

He is an utter disgrace.

Harper has been in the game a long time and has been at the club for longer than nearly everyone - he's well within his rights to ask. Pardew is well within his rights to say 'fuck that' and Harper would then have to back down. I don't see the issue.

If he wants to do that then he should forfeit his wages for the weeks we play away.

I was told on tuesday that he wouldn't be at Wolves on saturday but would be watching his son play in the North of Newcastle on saturday instead as he didn't want to traipse around the country to just sit on the bench.

I was sceptical but the kid who told me was adamant it was true and this article from Pardew today confirms it.

Quite happy to be on the bench at home (or Sunderland just down the road) but not to travel away with either first team or reserves. He is as bad as Tevez.

We don't know that he has 'dictated' anything, though. He may have said to Pardew that it's a preference of his but at the end of the day he'll do whatever the manager tells him to. You're going way over the top. :lol:

He's been at the club for nearly 20 years and through nearly as many managers and he's suddenly a disgrace overnight. Mint.

No he's not (worse than Tevez that is..), he's the f***ing sub goalie, the odds of him coming on must be at least 1 to 50 (unless Kirkland was our GK) and with Pardew's comments he clearly wants to use both goalkeepers, personally i still don't understand they signing of Elliot as from the two games it seems like we would be better of with a projector projecting a hologram of an actuall gk in goal rather than him, but i don't mind having him warm the bench every now and then.

We don't know that he has 'dictated' anything, though. He may have said to Pardew that it's a preference of his but at the end of the day he'll do whatever the manager tells him to. You're going way over the top. :lol:

He's been at the club for nearly 20 years and through nearly as many managers and he's suddenly a disgrace overnight. Mint.

Spot on Pilko. Ignore the mongs.

He's not a disgrace overnight, but I've very disappointed in this. The fact he even asked for it is a major let down for me. If he wanted more time with the family he should just retire and save NUFC £Xk a week.

Of course he's entitled to ask for whatever he wants, but he shouldn't have done IMO.

He's been a great servent for us, but this still make me think slightly less of him TBH.

It all depends tbh. None of us really know for sure how it's come about. If Pardew was the idea man behind rotating goalkeepers, if Harper knows he's not even going to make the bench for half the games this season, what's the big deal in asking for particular games off? Obviously, if he's the one that's asked for it in the first place then it's cheeky, but that's for Pardew to decide whether he's allowed.

The writings been on the wall for a while now with Harper, as he's one of the senior player cartel which has been broken up and mostly moved on. I'm surprised he's been as unprofessional as this however, he's getting paid (on a pretty good contract I'll bet) so he should be available as and when required.

Harper has been in the game a long time and has been at the club for longer than nearly everyone - he's well within his rights to ask. Pardew is well within his rights to say 'f*** that' and Harper would then have to back down. I don't see the issue.

If he wants to do that then he should forfeit his wages for the weeks we play away.

I was told on tuesday that he wouldn't be at Wolves on saturday but would be watching his son play in the North of Newcastle on saturday instead as he didn't want to traipse around the country to just sit on the bench.

I was sceptical but the kid who told me was adamant it was true and this article from Pardew today confirms it.

Quite happy to be on the bench at home (or Sunderland just down the road) but not to travel away with either first team or reserves. He is as bad as Tevez.

Wouldn't say that the article from Pardew 'confirms it'.  Bit of a leap there.

I'm surprised he's been as unprofessional as this however, he's getting paid (on a pretty good contract I'll bet) so he should be available as and when required.

Spot the difference:

1) "I want to spend a bit more time with my family and see my kid play, so I am refusing to travel with the squad to away games should I not be starting."

2) "If I'm only going to be on the bench for half our games this season, then would it be possible for it to be home games? I want to spend a bit more time with my family and see my kid play."

I'm surprised he's been as unprofessional as this however, he's getting paid (on a pretty good contract I'll bet) so he should be available as and when required.

Spot the difference:

1) "I want to spend a bit more time with my family and see my kid play, so I am refusing to travel with the squad to away games should I not be starting."

2) "If I'm only going to be on the bench for half our games this season, then would it be possible for it to be home games? I want to spend a bit more time with my family and see my kid play."

It still comes across as half hearted either way. In any case it's just a rumour. I've read the AP quote in the chronicle and he seems happy enough to rotate the keepers.

I've read the AP quote in the chronicle and he seems happy enough to rotate the keepers.

The sticking point is whether Pardew relayed this to Elliot and Harper before Harper allegedly asked/demanded/whatever about not going on away trips to be sub.

EDIT: along with the manner in which he said this (if at all) like I said before

I've read the AP quote in the chronicle and he seems happy enough to rotate the keepers.

The sticking point is whether Pardew relayed this to Elliot and Harper before Harper allegedly asked/demanded/whatever about not going on away trips to be sub.

:thup: