Rob Elliot (now at Gateshead)

EthiGeordie

I've missed something here, where's all this about Harper asking to sit out away games come from? ???

On the radio this morning when asked about 'Tevez' .

"every manager has this sort of problem, I've got two at the moment, I won't mention names but everyone knows who"

Wonder who he can possibly be on about ?

id hazard a guess at.maybe harper and ranger?

Kid who told me about Harper is suggesting it's not Ranger but is actually Smith.

Shouldn't be anywhere near the first 11, 18, or 25 players anyway TBH.  Hopefully he has this apparent hamstring injury until June.  Wouldn't give a toss if this waster never pulled on our shirt again.

Harper is a good goalkeeper, his demise has been massively overstated on here IMO.

That's not to say Krul is not better; I'm glad he is seemingly our number one now. But I can imagine Harper being pretty disappointed after so long playing backup that he's there again. We should have sold him though if it was going to become a major issue, likewise Harper should have put in a transfer request.

My worry is about Elliot tbh. I've not seen him play in person yet, but those who have are hardly raving. Smells a little bit of getting someone in cheaply who is happier to sit on the bench than Harper, with his quality being rather lower down the priority list. It's perfectly normal to have backup goalkeepers who aren't as good, obviously. I just wonder, if Harper is freezed out and Krul picks up an injury then it's likely Elliot will be starting Premier League games for us. Can we rely on him?

:thup:

Still early days for Elliot but the signs are hardly encouraging.....

Elliot so far looks like exactly what we bought - a League 1 goalkeeper.

To be fair, Leon Best and Ba looked fairly shit on their first few performances.

Yep, that's right. I said 'so far'; I'd love to see him turn it around.

Elliot so far looks like exactly what we bought - a League 1 goalkeeper.

To be fair, Leon Best and Ba looked fairly shit on their first few performances.

Yep, that's right. I said 'so far'; I'd love to see him turn it around.

I'd love him to be the next Buffon, but I don't think it will happen.  My fear is the same as what Dave said.

We've Already got the next Buffon Mate  :coolsmiley:

In January 2007, Juventus scouts reported they believe Krul to be the next Buffon currently the most expensive Goalkeeper in the world, and also believed by many as the best in the world.

:smug:

Harper is an OK goalkeeper in a number of areas, but for me he has poor reflexes/agility/speed, making him comparatively easy to score past. Also think he spreads himself badly when a striker has a good chance, whilst all of his "good" saves seem to be slow motion ones where he has ample time to get to the ball. This may be a bad analogy, but I think of him as a bucket full of moderately sized holes when he's in front of the net - from a distance the holes aren't really visible, but when you look closer...ok that's a shit analogy. Maybe a large barn with a door, and the door is wide open, and rushing towards that big wide barn door is a three tonne rhino running at full speed, and all you have guarding the door are a few small barn animals (pigs, a few chicken, some ducks, etc etc). The barn animals would be Steve Harper.

All clubs have s*** back-up keepers.

We haven't for quite some time, but it's ok now because other people have shit reserve GKs.

Harper played at Bolton midweek, reckons he and Pardew haven't fallen out and he fully endorses the rotation idea fwiw.

• 8 months later...