Rob Elliot (now at Gateshead)

EthiGeordie

I really don't get how they can justify putting this bloke ahead of Steve Harper as backup, fair enough he's young and has a bit of time, but we need to get shot of him on loan to find his feet again as he's looked utter shite every time I've seen him.

He doesn't look ready. Would much rather have Harper as backup and send Elliott out on loan. Let him make his mistakes in the lower leagues and if he doesn't progress, get shot of him.

It's been agreed that Harper won't travel though hasn't it?

If that is the case it makes a bit of a mockery. Yes, he's the club's long serving player and might not want to be travelling the country to sit on the bench at this stage in the career, but if that is the case then just retire. In my opinion, you can't be contracted to a club, picking up a wage and then dictating when you do and don't travel, particularly given he is well aware he is a backup goalkeeper.

However, I have no idea if it has actually been confirmed if that is actually the situation?

Shameless self plug, (and I probably shouldn't be doing it - feel free mods to delete) but these are my thoughts on who should be second choice  http://www.ifsholascores.wordpress.com/2012/07/21/whos-two-28/#more-236

If that is the case it makes a bit of a mockery. Yes, he's the club's long serving player and might not want to be travelling the country to sit on the bench at this stage in the career, but if that is the case then just retire. In my opinion, you can't be contracted to a club, picking up a wage and then dictating when you do and don't travel, particularly given he is well aware he is a backup goalkeeper.

However, I have no idea if it has actually been confirmed if that is actually the situation?

Shameless self plug, (and I probably shouldn't be doing it - feel free mods to delete) but these are my thoughts on who should be second choice  http://www.ifsholascores.wordpress.com/2012/07/21/whos-two-28/#more-236

Will try and find the article, sure it was something like that though.

• 1 month later...

Thats the best game i've ever seen him play,  was pretty solid throughout,  commanded his defenders in front, looked composed, distribution was decent and apart from the save near the end where he "shovelled"  it round the post his handling was very good.

His first save was the pick of the saves he made, he hasn't looked that good for us so far and isn't third choice for nothing.  Hopefully has can prove he's worth playing as we could do with a better 2nd choice than we've got.

Excellent performance, more like that please. I was also impressed with his communication from the back.

I have a feeling this may have been highlighted by the complete lack of atmosphere. All keepers have a bit shout on.

Said before, he isn't going to go from a highly rated youngish keeper in league one to a completely hopeless wreck like some thought he was.

It is a hell of a jump but he could be decent backup, nice to see him do well and hopefully he continues when given the chance.

Excellent performance, more like that please. I was also impressed with his communication from the back.

I have a feeling this may have been highlighted by the complete lack of atmosphere. All keepers have a bit shout on.

Oh aye of course, but still it was nice to hear.