Rob Elliot (now at Gateshead)

EthiGeordie

• 3 weeks later...

Didn't think he did that much wrong yesterday :dontknow:

Would probably need to see the goal again but it seemed like a snapshot that you see scored fairly often.

His positioning was all wrong in my opinion. Looked unconvincing with their crosses too.

Definitely not writing him off. He may have had a few dodgy moments here and there but it's still too early to judge.

FWIW, I would still have Harper as the number 2 keeper...

One thing I did like him yesterday was that he looked for the short pass whenever he could rather than lumping the ball up field. Hopefully he was instructed to do so and we see it from Krul too.

Definitely not writing him off. He may have had a few dodgy moments here and there but it's still too early to judge.

FWIW, I would still have Harper as the number 2 keeper...

Absolutely. I'd be very concerned indeed if Krul picks up an injury and this guy has to fill in. Not inspired me with confidence the little I've seen of him.

As you say, though, it's probably still too early to judge.

Guest BlacknWhiteArmy

One thing I did like him yesterday was that he looked for the short pass whenever he could rather than lumping the ball up field. Hopefully he was instructed to do so and we see it from Krul too.

Pardew was telling the players in training about the importance of winning the ball back quickly and getting into a rhythm. He's also said about how we're trying to work on our passing game and keeping the ball better, playing it short is definitely one of the instructions and I'm glad to see it.

Wonder how much Brum would want for Butland?

Seen £6m quoted, don't see us paying that much and from his point of view it's probably not a good move with Krul being so young.

I would like us to get an experienced keeper in though, someone like Jussi would have been good (ie not quite good enough to demand a first team place but proven and still good enough to provide adequate cover).

Not in the Elliot isn't good enough camp because I haven't seen enough of him but truth is he hasn't been tested at the top level so it's always going to be a concern. Not sure Harper hasn't fallen too far down that slope either.

Wonder how much Brum would want for Butland?

Seen £6m quoted, don't see us paying that much and from his point of view it's probably not a good move with Krul being so young.

I would like us to get an experienced keeper in though, someone like Jussi would have been good (ie not quite good enough to demand a first team place but proven and still good enough to provide adequate cover).

Not in the Elliot isn't good enough camp because I haven't seen enough of him but truth is he hasn't been tested at the top level so it's always going to be a concern. Not sure Harper hasn't fallen too far down that slope either.

Shay given?

:lol: I actually would on a reasonable wage, even if I don't really like the way he left the good of the team would be my priority and he is the sort of player I agree he is the sort of player I was talking about.

There must be some decent, premier league experienced keepers around who aren't first choice or without sounding arrogant would prefer to play for a club battling it out for European places and where he could get European/cup games.

What is Craig Gordon up to these days? I know he played for them but he was really highly rated at one point and is still relatively young for a keeper. He wouldn't have to move from Newcastle either :pow:

Not a fan of Elliot, the guy looks like a children's TV presenter ffs. If it's all right with the "give him time" faction, I'm going to continue to assume he's about as useful as a tabasco-slathered dildo until he proves otherwise...

Guest Phil K

He hasn't started well but could turn out to be decent back up. With any luck we will.never know.

Agree, but he hasn't started well in the chances he HAS had, while Harper HAS looked decent in the ONE chance he's had.

Persevering and giving him too many chances to come good could cost us dear. Needs to get his act together, and QUICK.

He hasn't started well but could turn out to be decent back up. With any luck we will.never know.

Agree, but he hasn't started well in the chances he HAS had, while Harper HAS looked decent in the ONE chance he's had.

Persevering and giving him too many chances to come good could cost us dear. Needs to get his act together, and QUICK.

Pretty sure Harper has had more than one chance like ;)

As I said, hopefully we won't have to find out because Krul is fantastic and it's obvious Elliot won't be as good but it's still early to label him useless or whatever. He did a good job at league one level and most of his criticism has come against clubs of a similar level (I realise I am repeating myself) so I think/hope his early blunders are him finding his feet at a new club.

Do we have any young keepers who are almost ready? How's Soderberg doing?

Soderbergs gone IIRC. The only one we have is Jak Alnwick who's only 18.

Edit: Soderberg moved to Molde FK this season.

Do we have any young keepers who are almost ready? How's Soderberg doing?

Soderbergs gone IIRC. The only one we have is Jak Alnwick who's only 18.

Edit: Soderberg moved to Molde FK this season.

Oh aye, I remember that now actually. I'd feel a lot more comfortable if we bought a better reserve keeper, but doesn't seem like that's in our plans.