Newcastle vs Fulham - 28/08/11 at 1:00pm (Not on TV)

Fatwax

Would probably agree. It's more about Jonas' defensive protection than anything else, though. Sounds negative at home, i know, but Ryan Taylor will need help from those ahead of him - simple as that. If he's still in the side come Sunday.

Fulham are a decent side and will be difficult to break down. But over the past year, we've put ourselves in a position to make strides over the likes of them. We're at home and should win. I know they're a bit of a bogey team at St James' Park, but confidence should be sky-high with us, and it's going to be pretty low for them on the back of a bad defeat at Wolves. However, the brass tacks of it is: we have better players than them.

Will be really frustrated if we don't beat them tbh. A draw wouldn't be a bad result, but if we're going to improve on last season - it's this sort of game where we need to be turning draws into wins.

I would go with the same midfield trio as Arsenal and Sunderland cos honestly, i think there's absolutely bags of potential in that triumvirate. Once they found their rhythm against the Mackems, they dominated the midfield and as a result, the defence's job was made a lot easier. Need to play them three as frequently as possible because i think they'll be at the root of any success we have this season.

Didn't quite work upfront against the Mackems. Everyone was isolated and there wasn't much movement, so i'd be very keen to shake it up a bit. Depending on new arrivals, obviously, i'd bring Ba back into the fold and play Marveaux ahead of Obertan if he is fit.

------------------------------- Krul -------------------------------

Simpson -------- Taylor ---------- Coloccini ------- RTaylor?

------------------------------ Tiote -------------------------------

------------------ Barton ----------- Cabaye -------------------

Marveaux ------------------------------------------------ Jonas

------------------------------- Ba ---------------------------------

Need to put a bit more faith in Ba, like. We know all about Shola. He'll have his good games and bad games, and he's never gonna do anything more than a shift when he's up top on his own. I would be tempted to switch Jonas and Marveaux onto opposite wings if we've found a new left-back. Presently, however, we'll need Gutierrez down that side to help protect Taylor.

That formation is how it should pan out but in reality what I've seen of the formations we've seen so far look more like this

Obertan ------------------------------------------------

---------------------------------------------------------------------Jonas

--------Shola ---------------------------------

Guest WashyGeordie

Just putting this out there (don't know if it's been posted yet or not)

https://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=275702815779436

An idea brought to our attention by a Newcastle Fan reading a post written by Lee Ryder from the Evening Chronicle.The idea is to celebrate the 1-0 win at the Stadium of Light on Saturday by bringing back the scarves this Sunday at St.James Park against Fulham.

However this great idea can only work if we all play our part in spreading the word and inviting people to this event.

The following text was take from Lee's post on his blog: "Anybody who was at Shearer's big night back in May 2006 will never forget just what an occasion it was and how effective the operation can be. That night St James' Park was jumping and afterwards I remember interviewing players who were simply taken aback by the atmosphere and the flag swirling. Les Ferdinand said at the time 'Do that every other week and it will frighten the life out of the opposition', while Peter Ramage was almost lost for words having played in the game."

It wouldn't be good doing that every home game, though. It has to remain something special imo. Do it for the derby match, probably some semi finals in the cups or the first/last home game of the season.

Every game and it gets boring.

I sense an inevitable defeat after two decent results.

It's dead certain. Just like when we played Blackpool last season, or Fulham/Stoke for that matter. 1-2, Murphy (pen) and Dempsey. Lövenkrands to get our goal in the 94th minute.

Or we could just pick up a decent 3-0 win and continue this impressive start.

I've only ever seen Marveaux play on the left of midfield for Rennes, I'm sure he could do a job there.

Pretty sure he played on the left against Gateshead, which as far as I know is his strongest position. Of course, a few members of this board will contradict me for the sake of it (according to some, Marveaux is a right-winger who is best used cutting in onto his left foot).

Fulham are a decent side and will be difficult to break down. But over the past year, we've put ourselves in a position to make strides over the likes of them. We're at home and should win. I know they're a bit of a bogey team at St James' Park, but confidence should be sky-high with us, and it's going to be pretty low for them on the back of a bad defeat at Wolves. However, the brass tacks of it is: we have better players than them.

Will be really frustrated if we don't beat them tbh. A draw wouldn't be a bad result, but if we're going to improve on last season - it's this sort of game where we need to be turning draws into wins.

I would go with the same midfield trio as Arsenal and Sunderland cos honestly, i think there's absolutely bags of potential in that triumvirate. Once they found their rhythm against the Mackems, they dominated the midfield and as a result, the defence's job was made a lot easier. Need to play them three as frequently as possible because i think they'll be at the root of any success we have this season.

Didn't quite work upfront against the Mackems. Everyone was isolated and there wasn't much movement, so i'd be very keen to shake it up a bit. Depending on new arrivals, obviously, i'd bring Ba back into the fold and play Marveaux ahead of Obertan if he is fit.

Marveaux ------------------------------------------------ Jonas

------------------------------- Ba ---------------------------------

Need to put a bit more faith in Ba, like. We know all about Shola. He'll have his good games and bad games, and he's never gonna do anything more than a shift when he's up top on his own. I would be tempted to switch Jonas and Marveaux onto opposite wings if we've found a new left-back. Presently, however, we'll need Gutierrez down that side to help protect Taylor.

That formation is how it should pan out but in reality what I've seen of the formations we've seen so far look more like this

Obertan ------------------------------------------------

---------------------------------------------------------------------Jonas

--------Shola ---------------------------------

Agreed, hence the bolded part(s).

By the by, if the current Marveaux debate has stemmed from my post (it may not have)... as i've said, it's only based on whether or not Ryan Taylor is still in the team. If he is, we need Jonas on the left due to his protection. If we've signed a left-back by Fulham, they would swap wings.