Davide Santon (now retired)

Guest taps01

Think we will still be in for Cissokho/Pieters.. Santon will push Simmo/Taylor until then.

We really still need 5/6 players.. Blindly hoping we will get 2/3 in January though, Striker, LB and CB cover.

Barton replacement and DM cover (Barnetta could do both), then someone to replace Lovenkrands.

ashley is a betting man so if he sees us still up at the top near jan he might take a punt and bring a couple in if he thinks we have a cats chance in hell to get into the cl, which I doubt we will but you never know.

Think we will still be in for Cissokho/Pieters.. Santon will push Simmo/Taylor until then.

We really still need 5/6 players.. Blindly hoping we will get 2/3 in January though, Striker, LB and CB cover.

Barton replacement and DM cover (Barnetta could do both), then someone to replace Lovenkrands.

ashley is a betting man so if he sees us still up at the top near jan he might take a punt and bring a couple in if he thinks we have a cats chance in hell to get into the cl, which I doubt we will but you never know.

Or being the betting man he is, sell off a couple of more players  :pow:

http://m.chroniclelive.co.uk/ms/p/tmg/newcchro/stU3ifsPQPhrrs3DWvGDm6g/view.m?id=3625598&tid=638956&cat=NUFC_News

DAVIDE SANTON has revealed he was "blown away" by the vociferous Geordie public on his Newcastle United debut and claimed the atmosphere was as loud as the support at the famous San Siro.The former Inter Milan star finally made his Toon bow after weeks of waiting with Santon held back by a knee injury sustained early in his United career.But the Italian Under-21 international was taken aback by the atmosphere at St James' Park, and when asked how it compared to the San Siro, Santon told the Chronicle: 'It is louder.'At the San Siro when Inter play the smaller teams the stadium is empty and there isn't that much noise.'But here at Newcastle it is always a big crowd.'I saw the stadium when it was empty and thought it was brilliant. Then at the Blackburn game and I couldn't believe how fantastic the fans were.'The next level was to play in front of them and it really took me aback.'Santon came on with Newcastle trailing to Spurs yesterday but helped make an impact and prevented Gareth Bale causing further damage down the left hand side when he replaced Danny Simpson.And the £5.3million defender re-lived his experience when he said: 'The minute that Mr Pardew told me to warm up I had an exciting feeling in my body.'I couldn't wait to get on the pitch. It was a testing situation but I just wanted to help my team.'It was a great day for me. To come on with the team losing 2-1 and be able to help my team-mates to get a point is a good start for me.'This was a good result for us and I will remember the day for a long time. Given that Spurs went ahead in the game, I think to get a point out of it is good.'Santon has endured a slow start to his United career and is now getting to grips with the English language and lifestyle.When asked if it had been a frustrating period, he said: 'I needed some time to get accustomed to the area and the club.'I needed time to get to know my team-mates and they have backed me up and helped me get used to life here.'It has still been a good time for me.'

:laugh:

In spite of his alleged remit upon signing, it's awfully tempting to just keep him on the right. Given the contrasting performances of Raylor and Simpson.

Although that twenty minutes is all i have seen of him in his career, i'm still a touch sceptical about a full-back's position being on his wrong side...

In spite of his alleged remit upon signing, it's awfully tempting to just keep him on the right. Given the contrasting performances of Raylor and Simpson.

Although that twenty minutes is all i have seen of him in his career, i'm still a touch sceptical about a full-back's position being on his wrong side...

The best defender I have ever seen played on his wrong side.

Maldini? He was both-footed really.

may be nitpicking, but i consider Maldini a left back...whereas i see Santon as a right back playing left back...i guess if Santon plays for 15 years on the left itll be hte same but Santon IS a right back, who is two footed enough to play both

Maldini? He was both-footed really.

may be nitpicking, but i consider Maldini a left back...whereas i see Santon as a right back playing left back...i guess if Santon plays for 15 years on the left itll be hte same but Santon IS a right back, who is two footed enough to play both

I think people need to realise he is not 2 footed... Though some may have more broader barometer... He's as one footed as Raylor... Possibly even more so...

I reckon we'll see Santon in for Simpson on Saturday. I've a feeling Raylor has got the left back shirt for keeps.

I agree with Santon for Simpson this Saturday... It's his natural position despite the thread title... Hopefully will help bring out a bit more in Obertan... Raylor may be looking over his shoulder in January...

Don't think we need that many personally.  I'd say we need a good striker and cover for LB, CB and DM.  We've got Obertan, Marveaux, Gutierrez and Ben Arfa who can all play on the wing so I don't see any need for a Barton replacement, and any new striker coming in will drop another current striker down a peg to replace Lovenkrands.

So we're going to buy another striker and still replace Lovenkrands??

I think a selection of Ba, Best, Ben Arfa, Shola, Sammy and a new striker will just about cope.

The squad is big enough imo, but there are a few fringe players who needs to be replaced with better quality.

If we sold/didn't renew contract/threw away Perch, Smith, Løvenkrands & Xisco and got in f.ex. Cissokho/Pieter/M'Bengue, Barnetta & Maiga I'd be pretty confident that the squad was strong enough to get results even with some key players injured.

If we qualified for european competition we'd need a few extra bodies in though to ease the work load through a hectic schedule, but for a schedule consisting only of domestic competitions there really isn't need for much more than what we already have. There could also be negative implications with a big squad as there would be many frustrated players who couldn't get into the team, thus potentially ruin the good squad harmony we currently have.