Davide Santon (now retired)

Guest taps01

Guest VaVaVoom

I do think in the long term though we should improve by looking to have a left footer on the left instead of two right footed players.

You'd hope so wouldnt you.

You never know....we might go get Cissokho in the summer.....

I do think in the long term though we should improve by looking to have a left footer on the left instead of two right footed players.

honestly couldn't give a toss which foot they kick with providing they can do the job. i've seen enough players play very well on their supposed wrong side to know that for some players it just doesn't matter.

Guest VaVaVoom

honestly couldn't give a toss which foot they kick with providing they can do the job. i've seen enough players play very well on their supposed wrong side to know that for some players it just doesn't matter.

Well yeah but having a quality left footed LB and a quality right footed RB is better surely?

Well yeah but having a quality left footed LB and a quality right footed RB is better surely?

why ? in the same way that maldini was better then john beresford at left back, just try for the one who is best in that position regardless of what foot they use if they are better at doing the job.

sometimes i read posts on this place and it's like a 1950's tactics school.

why ? in the same way that maldini was better then john beresford at left back, just try for the one who is best in that position regardless of what foot they use if they are better at doing the job.

A natural left back and Santon on the right would make us more balanced and carry significantly more attacking threat.

A natural left back and Santon on the right would make us more balanced and carry significantly more attacking threat.

wouldn't you rather the best available regardless if they both were supposedly wrong sided, given some players are better on the supposed wrong side. also from what we;ve seen of him so far he does look more comfortable on the left.

also from the limited that i saw from santon playing in otaly it was exactly because he was so good at coming inside confidently that made him the attacking threat that he was.

:thup:

wouldn't you rather the best available regardless if they both were supposedly wrong sided, given some players are better on the supposed wrong side. also from what we;ve seen of him so far he does look more comfortable on the left.

also from the limited that i saw from santon playing in otaly it was exactly because he was so good at coming inside confidently that made him the attacking threat that he was.

I'm not one to argue with empirical evidence. All i've ever said is that I think his best position would be right back and that having him there (with a left footed LB of similar ability) would improve the team massively. If it happened and we looked worse I'd happily admit I was wrong.

It could be that exactly what makes him a threat on the right is attacking the outside of the fullback where there's more space?

I'm not one to argue with empirical evidence. All i've ever said is that I think his best position would be right back and that having him there (with a left footed LB of similar ability) would improve the team massively. If it happened and we looked worse I'd happily admit I was wrong.

It could be that exactly what makes him a threat on the right is attacking the outside of the fullback where there's more space?

Ideally I'd like to see him play several times on both sides before going for another fullback. That'll probably happen by accident rather than anything in design with us having no intention of signing anyone this window.

@JamesHorncastle: Davide Santon: "Perhaps #Inter should have protected their youngsters more. But I'm not angry. One day I might go back. Now I'm fine here."

@JamesHorncastle: Santon talks Pardew: "He's very good. He prepares for games meticulously. He has the same will to win as Mourinho." #nufc