Davide Santon (now retired)

Guest taps01

Our defence has looked vulnerable since the Taylors dropped out of the back four. Obviously Steven is a big miss but I really don't think Ryan did too much wrong at left back. As has been commented, I think Santon looks far more at ease at coming forward than defending.

Early days however, for the lad.

Ryan Taylor did nothing wrong at left back apart from not defending, Santon has shown some flaws in his game recently but he's also shown that he can defend.  Jonas did as much defending at left back while Taylor was in that position as Taylor did.

I've yet to see what I'd call a 'good defensive' performance from him. I like him a lot and think he will turn into a superb force going forward, he's already really good and scares the shit out of defenders. Haven't seen him strike the ball amazingly but the main worry is his defensive side at the moment. I'd like to see him at right back for a run of games but if that's not going to happen, keep him at LB and let him develop that side of his game. Pardew should be able to improve him positionally because at the moment he gets lost a little and even though he's fast, people get past him too often

Still a kid that used to be an attacking player, new to the league and doesn't speak the language.  His positioning is questionable (well terrible basically) at times, but he has a shit load of ability.

Just to repeat what everyone else is saying.  Sign a left back, stick Santon at right back.

Ferguson left, Santon right. It's such an obvious thing to try. Gets Fanny Simpson out the team n all.

A lot of fans would do this, Pardew never will. Maybe for the last ten minutes in a cup game, so let's wait until 12/13 to see if that happens

Not sure there's that much difference between Raylor and Santon defensively - both have looked absolute shite at times. I'd say Santon edges it as he certainly impressed in a few games and has an ability to step-up and intercept, whereas Raylor was never more than mediocre even in his finest games.

Santon looks physically awkward and a bit weak when he should be standing up and making challenges or blocking a player's path like Enrique, but his major problem is probably positioning - he doesn't seem to know what he's doing half the time.

Raylor's positioning was even worse earlier in the season, and Colo was drifting out to that left-side just as much then as he is now - the only difference is he had Taylor covering in behind, whereas now we have a Championship player in Williamson who just can't do the job - not strong or quick enough for it. And when 1-on-1 Raylor would get dribbled past more often than not, or concede a foul. He is a bit stronger in the tackle than Santon, mind.

Beyond that, there's also the fact that Santon is comfortable on the ball and is an attacking asset (albeit one who would be twice as effective on the right) whereas Raylor shat the bed in possession on numerous occasions earlier in the season, and proved a bit of a liability when closed down.

It seems a couple of goals, good early season form and some decent showings in entirely different positions (RM, CM) are clouding people's assessment of how bad Raylor was at LB.

• 2 weeks later...