Davide Santon (now retired)

Guest taps01

The amount we pass back to our keeper, I am surprised it's taken this long for this to happen!

We actually have quite decent possession stats in Europe.  But about 90% of it seems to be in our half.  10 passes along the back 4, lay it back to the keeper, hoooooof.  Rinse and repeat.

Unfortunately in the last 2 seasons we've facilitated his learning curve as a defender and at times it's really cost us. Just hope he learns and we reap the benfit.

:thup: I shudder to think how many chances and as a result goals he has (in)directly cost us this season.

Might be alone, but I feel sorry for him. He looks so fucking burnt out, and has done for three/four months.

Looks a little disinterested when he's in our half. Hope we can claw our way to safety, and he can have a restful summer. Such a talent.

If Haidara gets back to fitness, I'd definitely play Santon further up. Hasn't got his head on straight enough atm to be in a back four. The backheel-on-the-post the other day and today are costly mistakes for us which we can't afford going forward until May. At least if he does something daft on the wing, there's still a back four behind him.

Agree with all that, he looks knackered. Huge mistake last night, unfortunately I can't see him coming back from it with a great performance, he's hanging on in there as it is.

Guest bimpy474

He doesn't reacts like a defender for me, usually when the ball is put into the back post from the opposite side to him, he is re-active not pro-active as proper defender would be.

I can see us taking a decent offer from Milan for him in the summer.

Talksport (yeah I know) reckon Anzi want him. Bidding war please.

Keep him please.

:thup: can't believe anyone would want to sell our starters tbh, we need more players not less.

I can see us taking a decent offer from Milan for him in the summer.

Talksport (yeah I know) reckon Anzi want him. Bidding war please.

Keep him please.

:thup: Can't believe people are writing off a 22 year old with a clear amount of promise because he's had a few bad months in a team that's been shit all season.

Not writing him off,and wouldn't want him to leave.

But if Milan and Anzi start chucking silly money offers at us,which they're both more than capable of doing,I'd definitely have to consider it.

Not writing him off,and wouldn't want him to leave.

But if Milan and Anzi start chucking silly money offers at us,which they're both more than capable of doing,I'd definitely have to consider it.

Nah Milan aren't in fact no Italian club at the moment is, they are just not capable of it. Anzhi might do though.

No way would I sell him, He was easily our standout player in the early parts of the season, and this team has been utter dog s***  all season. I'd sooner get rid of the manager

Not to mention you'd have to change your name and avatar.  Fuck that.

I wouldn't look to sell any player we don't know to be outright s*** until we sort ourselves out anyway. There's been a lot of dodgy performances this season and as a whole we just haven't looked comfortable on a football pitch at all.

:thup:

I wouldn't look to sell any player we don't know to be outright s*** until we sort ourselves out anyway. There's been a lot of dodgy performances this season and as a whole we just haven't looked comfortable on a football pitch at all.

I agree and I've been one of the more critical players of Santon since he joined. Some of those comments about him not being a natural defender I agree with and he appears to be very much a confidence player too and one who maybe struggles under pressure a little bit. Thankfully all of these can be worked on, whether we have the coaching staff to do so...I'm not so sure.

Would still in the long term prefer a leftie at LB though if we going to persist with inverted widemen.

Yep Santon is a player who this season has been involved in some of the good stuff, but also as much with the bad stuff too. He has the tools and definitely the potential to be a great player, but he needs to sort out his defensive side.

Would still in the long term prefer a leftie at LB though if we going to persist with inverted widemen.

Considering this i would like to see a natural left winger purchased, Santon comes inside and he the player in question goes outside while on the other side Hatem comes inside (when he's actually bloody fit) and Debuchy goes outside.

Balance  :frantic:

I agree and I've been one of the more critical players of Santon since he joined. Some of those comments about him not being a natural defender I agree with and he appears to be very much a confidence player too and one who maybe struggles under pressure a little bit. Thankfully all of these can be worked on, whether we have the coaching staff to do so...I'm not so sure.

Agreed.

I've long said the lad can't defend. But there's potential for a class player there imo. Selling him would be stupid.