Davide Santon (now retired)

Guest taps01

The lad is talented but also flawed as his head drops too quickly. He needs to work on his defensive game and first and foremost and stop doing them trademark trailing leg attempts at tackling as opposition players go past him.

He's got a good first touch and decent technique. He's canny, but let's not go overboard either way. Why do players have to either be a worldy or utter shite?

:thup:

He's just not a left back.

Should be converted to right back. His career is being destroyed by trying to play him at left back. He just becomes Jonas as soon as he gets in the opposition half. Wide players should be played on their natural sides, with the sole exception of auxiliary forwards supporting a lone striker.

Right back for Santon, but he started as a right winger so maybe he could play there too. Not suggesting he'd immediately start pulling up trees at right back because he needs time to settle into it and re-learn that role, but we simply cannot play him on the left as he'll never improve one bit there and offers nothing at all going forward, which is half of a modern fullback's game.

This, pretty much. He's technically a very good player, but without being able to go outside the defender we lose half of our threat from wide left.

He's got a good first touch and decent technique. He's canny, but let's not go overboard either way. Why do players have to either be a worldy or utter s****?

Exactly,he's an average player in an average team. Simple as.

So The Mag one day have a go at our club for the Cabella underbidding, then run a story about a club underbidding for one of our players with a load of supposition about whether it means Colback, Haidara or Dummett left back?

I know they're right to have an agenda but at least be consistent.

I must say I'm frustrated with his lack of progress since arriving to be honest, and wouldn't be bothered if we shifted him. That being said, I don't particularly blame the lack of progress solely on him. We hardly offer a decent foundation for any player to improve.

I think he's fine but we were certainly expecting a lot more when we signed him.

He's not appreciably better than Haidara or probably even Dummett and there's really not much point in paying three left-backs at once, even if Pardew would play eleven if he could.

Weak link defensively, but clearly cares about the club and has talent, not really sure what you can do with him. A move would probably be best for his career, it's gone stale here. If we can get a couple of players in return (especially a forward) it wouldn't be the end of the world.

Changing him to right back might solve the issue of him using his preferred foot but I highly doubt it's going to solve the fundamental flaws he has in his game, positioning, tackling, and end product when he is forward.

He's got a good first touch and decent technique. He's canny, but let's not go overboard either way. Why do players have to either be a worldy or utter s****?

His good first touch and technique mask how poor his contribution is. Much like Jenas, he looks to have it all in his position. Pretty quick, fairly big and strong. A natural footballer he carries the ball well etc. But can he defend? Nope. Positionally? Terrible. Can he do anything meaningful with the ball? Very rarely.

Guest Rent-A-Quote

Weak link defensively, but clearly cares about the club and has talent, not really sure what you can do with him. A move would probably be best for his career, it's gone stale here. If we can get a couple of players in return (especially a forward) it wouldn't be the end of the world.

Spot on, he's pretty shocking defensively really. He's got enough of an attacking brain about him to play on the wing I reckon. If we can just loosen the burden on him defensively (I know it's only slight playing for Pardew on the wing) because to me he just looks terrified to lose possession so far up the pitch and have to get back to left back and tackle with his weaker foot all the time. He's not Philip Lahm so his right foot just doesn't cut it at left back as he is weak defensively to start with. Playing Dummett or Haidara behind him, giving him a bit more license to cut inside further up the pitch would be a good option because he is one of our few players who can actually go past people!

Clearly wants to stay to but he's being howked around Italian clubs like MYM is around French clubs. But as you say seems to have gone stale. Would you take the rumoured Niang and Constant swap deal?

Spot on, he's pretty shocking defensively really. He's got enough of an attacking brain about him to play on the wing I reckon. If we can just loosen the burden on him defensively (I know it's only slight playing for Pardew on the wing) because to me he just looks terrified to lose possession so far up the pitch and have to get back to left back and tackle with his weaker foot all the time. He's not Philip Lahm so his right foot just doesn't cut it at left back as he is weak defensively to start with. Playing Dummett or Haidara behind him, giving him a bit more license to cut inside further up the pitch would be a good option because he is one of our few players who can actually go past people!

Clearly wants to stay to but he's being howked around Italian clubs like MYM is around French clubs. But as you say seems to have gone stale. Would you take the rumoured Niang and Constant swap deal?

Niang was supposed to be a real talent, shock horror the big Milan move didn't come off at his age, never seen constant play. I'd take it in principle, at least then the money doesn't sit and collect dust while we have two players the club deemed good enough to trade santon for.

I think 3 cb setup with him as a wingback is where he needs to be, probably on the right as well.

Guest antz1uk

Wasn't so long ago bale was a shit left back and was about to be flogged to stoke or somewhere similar

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Roger Kint

Wasn't so long ago bale was a s*** left back and was about to be flogged to stoke or somewhere similar

Us on loan in the Championship wasn't it?

Thought it was Burnley or Forest

Guest Haris Vuckic

Carroll was also a poor left back - two of the most expensive British players of all time are failed left backs. Football eh?