Davide Santon (now retired)

Guest taps01

Growing all the time. It's almost a replica of Enrique's first season where he was in and out of the side up until the run-in where he grew. I can see him scoring a screamer before the end of the season by cutting in onto his right foot and just smashing one in.

Definitely. I never really thought Enrique would get any goals for us (got 1, iirc) whereas Santon has a couple chances per game. Hopefully he can bag a few.

It's the one real plus of having a right footer playing at LB.

Most appreciative of any of the players in acknowledging the crowd today. Hats off to davide

He always seems to walk down to the Gallowgate at the end of every game and claps the fans.

Always does a mini-lap on his own. Himself and Krul are usually the two to make most effort IMO.

Get the feeling Pardew sees him as a left back long term rather than at right back. Simpson's substitution on Saturday would have presented a good opportunity to try Santon on the right with the match all but won at that point and Ferguson on the bench who could have come on at left back, but it didn't happen. Will be interesting to see how it pans out this summer: will we go for a left back or rather a right back (or maybe even stick with what we've got if Simpson renews)?

Guest tobiazvanderziaz

Agree. Hopefully Simpson isnt our first choice next season, but will Santon play left or right? I would really like to see Ben Arfa plaing in front of a full-back like Santon. Arfa will create much space to Santon and Santons offensive runs will provide more space to Arfa. At the moment Simpson offers nothing to Arfa...

Most appreciative of any of the players in acknowledging the crowd today. Hats off to davide

He's making a habit of being the last one out on the pitch.  Noticed it down at Swansea and in home games against QPR, Liverpool and Stoke.  Swansea was brilliant, when the players did their little team celebration, he wandered off on his own and carried on doing it  :aww:

Amazed at how much he is improving defensively on a gambe by game basis, some of his covering was ridiculous.  It was right up the other end, but it looked a certain goal near the 90 minute mark.  Then Santon just strolls through, sweeps up, runs 10 or so yards with the ball and casually passes out of defence.  Got a lot of time for defending like that!

Got to agree about his defending Nath. One of the best things to come out of this season and it's been completely under the radar. Think he's going to be one of the best FBs in the PL in a year's time

Agree. Hopefully Simpson isnt our first choice next season, but will Santon play left or right? I would really like to see Ben Arfa plaing in front of a full-back like Santon. Arfa will create much space to Santon and Santons offensive runs will provide more space to Arfa. At the moment Simpson offers nothing to Arfa...

I love it when people think his first name is Ben :lol: I don't know why, just makes me smile

He's making a habit of being the last one out on the pitch.  Noticed it down at Swansea and in home games against QPR, Liverpool and Stoke.  Swansea was brilliant, when the players did their little team celebration, he wandered off on his own and carried on doing it  :aww:

Amazed at how much he is improving defensively on a gambe by game basis, some of his covering was ridiculous.  It was right up the other end, but it looked a certain goal near the 90 minute mark.  Then Santon just strolls through, sweeps up, runs 10 or so yards with the ball and casually passes out of defence.  Got a lot of time for defending like that!

That was causal as fuck, loved it.

Would have been great to have Enrique and Santon on our flanks. Man for man and as a unit you'd have a fair case for saying we would have had the best defence of the league this season if all fit, Santon/Colo/Taylor/Enrique/Krul.

But we'd never have Santon if Enrique stayed, so it's all make believe but one can dream =)

Guest tobiazvanderziaz

I love it when people think his first name is Ben :lol: I don't know why, just makes me smile

You dont think people calling him Arfa just use it as a nickname? :-)

Who are Italy's full-backs these days? Any chance of a recall in time for the Euros?

RB's will either be Maggio or Abate and LB's will be between Criscito, Balzaretti and De Ceglie i would imagine.

He would have much better chance at LB but De Ceglie has performed very in recent weeks for Juventus so i expect him to get the nod.

I have a feeling the Euro's might have come a bit soon for Santon.

Guest ThievingMagpie

Who was it that said that Italy only selects people in Serie A? What about Rossi? Sure he's an Italian-American but he plays for the Italian team and plays in Spain iirc. Davide can get into the Italian team by staying here I reckon if we manage to make it into Europe a few more times, I think if he is still here when 2014 comes along he will be in for a shout to be on that plane to Brazil.

Looked 1000000000000000000 times better when he played on the right today.

Who did, Santon himself or the team?

Santon. He looked so much more confident on the right. Not that that should be a surprise.