Davide Santon (now retired)

Guest taps01

Given the amout of games that could be heading our way this season, Debuchy (fingers crossed) isn't going to play every game. Would be no suprise if Pardew stuck Santon at RB for a few games and put Ferguson or R.Taylor at left back, or someone else brought in.

Comments could be translated as Pardew's desire to get rid of what he considers deadwood and have quality players in every position.

Given the amout of games that could be heading our way this season, Debuchy (fingers crossed) isn't going to play every game. Would be no suprise if Pardew stuck Santon at RB for a few games and put Ferguson or R.Taylor at left back, or someone else brought in.

Comments could be translated as Pardew's desire to get rid of what he considers deadwood and have quality players in every position.

Sure i could see that too, but i cant see Santon being first choice RB if we sign Debuchy and rightly so considering how great he is at LB and thats where most of his minutes will come from.

Sure he could play some games there but he is'nt starting everyweek there if we sign Debuchy at least not IMO.

Pardew has probably suggested he might try him at RB over the course of the season, not week in week out.

He was making that left back role his own towards the end of the previous campaign, the managment will have noticed it, and how his confidence grew.

Not gonna jump to conclusions over a few comments, would be a huge kick in the teeth if we dont sign Debuchy up.

:thup:

http://www.gazzettagiallorossa.it/2012/07/mercato-roma-santon-i-giallorossi-si-sono-fatti-vivi-un-po-di-tempo-fa-ma-il-newcastle-si-e-subito-rifiutato-di-cedermi/

Let's return to England: will you start the new season at Newcastle?

"We are highly charged. Last year we nearly reached qualification for the Champions League, something unthinkable earlier in the year. At the end we got the Europa League, which for the club is still a nice finish. "

And in Europe you could find yourself playing Inter...

"I think it would be exciting to play at San Siro. But, if I could choose, I hope not to face Inter. They're putting together a good team and would be fearsome opponents. "

About Inter and Newcastle, both want Debuchy. Do these rumours bother you?

"No, I'm calm. Late last year Pardew had told me that his intention was to play me on the right, but he would bring in another. If it is Debuchy or whoever, if it is a good player they can help the team. Then we will see who the coach will decide to play... ".

If you're not convinced, Roma are looking for a fullback...

"I know, I know. They enquired a little time ago, but Newcastle has refused to let me go. To me it's fine because I'm settled in England and have no plans to move. I've only been here for a year and it's too early to pack up and go back to where I was before."

Paraphrased by me there.

Personally i think the plan's changed after his form at LB towards the end of the season.... i'm sure the plan was to play him at RB and bring in a LB but i think that changed.

I will be suprised if we sign Debuchy and we dont see Santon at LB.

Possibly he could see minutes at RB but i would think his main position will be LB.

IMO it just comes down to whether we can broker a better deal for a LB or a RB. If we find someone that we believe to be better value for money than Debuchy (for example if Cissokho was available for £3m and Lille wouldn't sell Debuchy for less than £8m) and that player happens to be an LB, Santon will simply move across. If Debuchy comes, Santon will stay at LB.

IMO it just comes down to whether we can broker a better deal for a LB or a RB. If we find someone that we believe to be better value for money than Debuchy (for example if Cissokho was available for £3m and Lille wouldn't sell Debuchy for less than £8m) and that player happens to be an LB, Santon will simply move across. If Debuchy comes, Santon will stay at LB.

Agree with that also.

:thup:

I used to be dead set against the idea of a right footed leftback. Mainly because R.Taylor was playing there but with Santon it worked really well.

Having someone who is comfortable on the ball and can cut in gave us good options going forward. Haven't seen too much evidence that he's gonna twat one into the top corner yet but you never know.

I used to be dead set against the idea of a right footed leftback. Mainly because R.Taylor was playing there but with Santon it worked really well.

Having someone who is comfortable on the ball and can cut in gave us good options going forward. Haven't seen too much evidence that he's gonna t*** one into the top corner yet but you never know.

Sure thing. Santon is a great fullback but having ba/gutirrez/cisse infront of him up there really limits the crossing ability from the left hand side.

Depends where we rate Anita and if we sign him. I thought we could do with another LB in addition to another RB. Beyond Santon I am not hugely happy with Raylor playing LB although he plays his heart out. We haven't seen enough of Ferguson at LB but if the back end of last season is anything to go by that experiment might be over.

Anita, Santon, Raylor would be decent enough cover on the left, potentially adding Fergie to that.

Debuchy, Santon, Tavernier, Raylor for the right would be fine too!

However Id be ecstatic with Debuchy and Santon either side. I think Davide has really grown into the role and was certainly filling Enrique's shoes.

Depends where we rate Anita and if we sign him. I thought we could do with another LB in addition to another RB. Beyond Santon I am not hugely happy with Raylor playing LB although he plays his heart out. We haven't seen enough of Ferguson at LB but if the back end of last season is anything to go by that experiment might be over.

Anita, Santon, Raylor would be decent enough cover on the left, potentially adding Fergie to that.

Debuchy, Santon, Tavernier, Raylor for the right would be fine too!

However Id be ecstatic with Debuchy and Santon either side. I think Davide has really grown into the role and was certainly filling Enrique's shoes.

You've missed Perchino of both lists there. Showed he's more than able to cover at either fullback position last season

Dont know if  :giggs:

Newcastle United defender Davide Santon has ruled out a return to Serie A amid interest from AS Roma and has urged the Magpies to sign Lille right-back Mathieu Debuchy.

Santon, 21, joined Newcastle from Inter Milan in 2011 and played 24 games last season as Newcastle exceeded expectations to finish fifth in the Premier League - above both Chelsea and Liverpool.

The Italian defender is greatly enjoying his time at St James Park and does not want to leave English football just yet.

"I know Roma are looking for a right-back and they showed interest in me, but Newcastle immediately refused to give me up," Santon told Calciomercato.

"That's okay for me because I have familiarised myself with England and I have no plans to move. I've only been here for a year and it is too early to pack up and come back to Italy."

Full-back Santon can play on either flank but has functioned predominantly on the left for Newcastle and does not feel threatened by the potential arrival of France right-back Debuchy.

"Debuchy to Newcastle? I am calm," Santon said of manager Alan Pardew's interest in the defender. "Pardew had told me that he had thought about playing me on the right, but also that another right-back would come.

"Debuchy or whoever, is welcome, especially if it is a good player who can help the team. Then, we'll see who the coach decides to pick." 

http://www.espn.co.uk/football/sport/story/159376.html