Davide Santon (now retired)

Guest taps01

Dont know if  :giggs:

Newcastle United defender Davide Giggs has ruled out a return to Serie A amid interest from AS Roma and has urged the Magpies to sign Lille right-back Mathieu Debuchy.

Giggs, 21, joined Newcastle from Inter Milan in 2011 and played 24 games last season as Newcastle exceeded expectations to finish fifth in the Premier League - above both Chelsea and Liverpool.

The Italian defender is greatly enjoying his time at St James Park and does not want to leave English football just yet.

"I know Roma are looking for a right-back and they showed interest in me, but Newcastle immediately refused to give me up," Giggs told Calciomercato.

"That's okay for me because I have familiarised myself with England and I have no plans to move. I've only been here for a year and it is too early to pack up and come back to Italy."

Full-back Giggs can play on either flank but has functioned predominantly on the left for Newcastle and does not feel threatened by the potential arrival of France right-back Debuchy.

"Debuchy to Newcastle? I am calm," Giggs said of manager Alan Pardew's interest in the defender. "Pardew had told me that he had thought about playing me on the right, but also that another right-back would come.

"Debuchy or whoever, is welcome, especially if it is a good player who can help the team. Then, we'll see who the coach decides to pick." 

http://www.espn.co.uk/football/Giggs/story/159376.html

Guest ThievingMagpie

Ferguson seems like he can play on the whole left hand side but I think he's obviously a winger but I think if we ever decide to employ wingbacks he'd be a deadly wingback as would Santon.

IMO it just comes down to whether we can broker a better deal for a LB or a RB. If we find someone that we believe to be better value for money than Debuchy (for example if Cissokho was available for £3m and Lille wouldn't sell Debuchy for less than £8m) and that player happens to be an LB, Santon will simply move across. If Debuchy comes, Santon will stay at LB.

I think this is very much the case a lot of signings we make these days. Look for value/personality/flexibility first and then see where they can slot in later.

Ferguson seems like he can play on the whole left hand side but I think he's obviously a winger but I think if we ever decide to employ wingbacks he'd be a deadly wingback as would Santon.

I envisage a situation where the two could interchange during a game - that is, one goes forward while the other one stays back and vice-versa. This is something which could potentially go well imo.

Gonna be immense this season, like him a lot.

He's very good.

I had some doubts mid season, but he looked more solid towards the end of the season.

i like Santon very much and i think he's going to be immense this season.

Most likely BS as i think Santon wants to stay and probably is a important part of Pardew's plans.

I agree!

Already done in the transfer rumours thread I think.

Load of bollocks, you can see the cogs that have turned in the reporter's brain who made this shit up:

Buying into the mystifying outsider opinion that Santon has been a flop + Santon casually linked with Roma earlier in the summer + Bojan situation = We have a story!

you know I don't know why they bother with peddling stories about player swaps, they happen once in a blue moon.

Also this.

Aye, swaps are the rarest deals of all, but they're rumoured all the time. The only one I can remember is Gillespie coming as part of the Andy Cole sale!

most recent off the top of my head was Milner deal to City with Ireland and a truck of cash going the other way

Just a completely hypothetical situation, but let's just say it's true about the Santon-Bojan swap stories (which it clearly isn't), and we then signed Debuchy & Cissokho with the money we had set aside for a forward (which wouldn't be needed because we had Bojan), would people be happy?