Davide Santon (now retired)

Guest taps01

Aye, Pieters sounds very injury prone. And tbh not THAT good. (Not that i have seen him a lot)

Hope he is not our main target, but Ashley loves a good gamble.

He'll be bob carlos after six months working with pards!

Aye, Pieters sounds very injury prone. And tbh not THAT good. (Not that i have seen him a lot)

Hope he is not our main target, but Ashley loves a good gamble.

To me he looked solid enough, not that I've seen him much. But we would need another fullback if he's going to miss a lot of games.

Still, in Carr we trust.

Wouldn't count on Stephen Carr in that position these days like...

I think the number 1 plan is to buy a RB as there seems to be more quality RB's around than LB's these days and keep Santon at LB but if thats not possible then we will buy a LB and switch Santon either....

I think its more likely we see Santon at LB next season than not but that probably is the contingency plan if a RB cant be brought in.

Sounds like a brilliant contingency plan like and one which I would fully support.

Got to say though, the more I think about it, the more I think Santon would make a canny long term option for LB. His development in the role is coming along nicely imo.

i don't mind someone with the "wrong foot" at either FB as long as he has someone ahead of him with the "right foot"...i.e. santon is fine at LB but without a left footed player ahead of him we naturally limit our options, hopefully marveaux gets fit and stays fit next season then have a right footed RB with HBA on the right, then you've got a canny mix imo

Good lad :) Liked the bit about Pardew giving him some time to settle and learn the team before throwing him in the deep end. Again, at the time it was very frustrating watching him on the bench for what felt like too many games with Taylor starting, but in the end it might have been for the best.

Aww, Davide  :aww:

Still can't believe we've got this lad, honestly think he'll be a top class full back within a few years, hopefully still playing for us as well.

Good lad :) Liked the bit about Pardew giving him some time to settle and learn the team before throwing him in the deep end. Again, at the time it was very frustrating watching him on the bench for what felt like too many games with Taylor starting, but in the end it might have been for the best.

one of my favourite things with pardew, even down to letting people return from injuries and so on - i thought he didn't fancy ferguson for ages but he was probably just giving him plenty of time to recover

we've not seen a lot of that in the past, managers (inc. keegan) have always pushed players back and thrown them in as long as i've been watching

brave from pardew tbh

Guest tobiazvanderziaz

First of all I really dont get the criticism he as recieved. Im my eyes he has had a very good first season and I has 100% confidence in the lad next season. My dream signing would be Boilesen from Ajax as left back, and then move Santon to the right side to combine with arfa  :smitten:

Especially with HBA where it was pissing off a lot of fans.

There is certainly more to Pardew's preparation than 'you're good, you can start'.

Yep, this is one of the biggest positives that has surprised me about Pardew.

It's easy for us fans to get angry when a good player isn't starting every game, but somehow Pardew has managed to think long-term and introduce players at the right times. And take them out again when needed.

Our brilliant start to the season bought him time to consider his moves, but he did it well.

Especially with HBA where it was pissing off a lot of fans.

There is certainly more to Pardew's preparation than 'you're good, you can start'.

Yep, this is one of the biggest positives that has surprised me about Pardew.

It's easy for us fans to get angry when a good player isn't starting every game, but somehow Pardew has managed to think long-term and introduce players at the right times. And take them out again when needed.

Our brilliant start to the season bought him time to consider his moves, but he did it well.

Agrees. The problem for fans is just that it is so frustrating to don´t know why a player isn´t playing. If we all knew that he was a long time solution and that Pardew was thinking highly of him then it would be easier to take.

Then again everyone would still think differently about how to deal with the solution, but you would probably have an understanding for him.

And after all. the manager will always have the advantages to fans and others because they actually can talk and see the players everyday :)

Tbf it is very easy to see a player playing poorly and get frustrated that you have a much better player not getting a chance. I still think it has worked out for the best long term mind, not only do we have a brilliant attacking player but Ben Arfa has been absolutely brilliant when coming back too.

AS Roma zeigt Interesse an Newcastles Davide Santon

06/01/2012 - 10:49

As the "Corriere dello Sport 'reported interest in AS Roma has 21 year old left-back Davide Santon from Newcastle.

© APA Santon was the winner in the past season

As the "Corriere dello Sport" reported Davide Santon is high on the wish list of AS Roma above. The "Giallorossi" to divest themselves of the left-back from Newcastle United. The 21-year-old Italian is in the "Magpies", however, until the summer of 2016 under contract. The obligation of the seven-time International to have been already discussed with coach Zdenek Zeman-Pescara, which will be presented on Saturday as the new coach.

http://relevant.at/sport/fussball/585360/as-roma-zeigt-interesse-newcastles-davide-santon.story

Guest sicko2ndbest

£10m plus that Spanish LB they have.

We are in no rush to sell. He is progressing well is a great athlete, can play either side and will have the physical attributes to play CH in 2-3 years