Davide Santon (now retired)

Guest taps01

Tbf i've been to Milan and loved it, but i do see why some wouldn't. I think Milan is probably better when you have money! Like disproportionately so compared to Newcastle. I love both so meh! Jesmond > Lake Como

I could actually see him going back to Italy tbh. Wouldn't be surprised if Pardew wanted a natural left footer.

Me too, if we sold for no loss & got in some LB from Ligue 1 as the replacement for a lesser fee/wages, guess who wins again.

I like him as a player but 2 right footers on the left isn't for me, especially when Santon can barely use his left.

I doubt Pardew wants anything other than to have Santon available every week. If he wanted a natural left footer he could have moved Santon over to the right, and/or not signed Debuchy.

This. Pardew has faith in wor Davigay and tbf, he returned to form against Norwich

I could actually see him going back to Italy tbh. Wouldn't be surprised if Pardew wanted a natural left footer.

Me too, if we sold for no loss & got in some LB from Ligue 1 as the replacement for a lesser fee/wages, guess who wins again.

I like him as a player but 2 right footers on the left isn't for me, especially when Santon can barely use his left.

This nonsensical view seems to be spreading across the forum like wildfire lately.

While yes, the widely held opinion is that we should have invested more earlier, yes like almost every club we have a salary budget and of course the people at the top would not be doing their jobs properly if they were not trying to strike the most beneficial deals,  it should also be realised that outside of the CL elite and one or two clubs who have found sugar daddies Newcastle are paying very competitive salaries.

We simply wouldn't be signing and re-signing the players we are, if we weren't.

This nonsensical view seems to be spreading across the forum like wildfire lately.

While yes, the widely held opinion is that we should have invested more earlier, yes like almost every club we have a salary budget and of course the people at the top would not be doing their jobs properly if they were not trying to strike the most beneficial deals,  it should also be realised that outside of the CL elite and one or two clubs who have found sugar daddies Newcastle are paying very competitive salaries.

Well said. People get away with this logic-free negativity on a mass scale on here.

Competitive Inflated salaries compared to the French league (bar PSG) are a lot different to competitive salaries with the larger leagues. If we could get a similar player on less money and for a smaller fee (meaning bigger sell on) you'd be daft to believe we'd not be interested in doing this, not just either most teams would if it was unlikely to unsettle the club in a major way.

I don't see what investing earlier has to do with my original post.

Superb again today, could it be related to Gutierrez (who individually was terrible) in any way?

The protection Jonas offers is superb, I don't remember Santon having to defend one-on-one all game. I think Jonas had better game too than before the injury, still not good enough to play as wide forward. If Remy joins I hope he is only considered as CM back-up.

Guest BrightonMag

I would love to believe that but it hasn't stopped him playing Santon and Jonas down the left for a huge number of games without a left foot between them. I don't quite understand why it's not a bigger issue with people - there are at least 5 occassions every game where Santon could have made a better decision with his left foot.

Actually one small plus - if you can call it that - of the Remy failure is that he was another right footed player. It would be nice to get someone with a left foot to play on the left.

http://news.bbcimg.co.uk/media/images/64317000/jpg/_64317120_pa-14339003.jpg

Actually one small plus - if you can call it that - of the Remy failure is that he was another right footed player. It would be nice to get someone with a left foot to play on the left.

http://news.bbcimg.co.uk/media/images/64317000/jpg/_64317120_pa-14339003.jpg

:eek:

Guest tollemache

I'e spent a lot of the time since he signed wishing we'd buy an attacking left back. Now we really need a left footer further forward

I'e spent a lot of the time since he signed wishing we'd buy an attacking left back. Now we really need a left footer further forward

What if this Haidara lad can play further forward as well? Maybe they're thinking they could develop him into an attacking player if he has the attributes for it.