Davide Santon (now retired)

Guest taps01

He was extremely poor tonight, definitely. It is a shame because I thought he was relatively well this season and had done the least of any of the defenders to be "dropped". As always with Santon, the main problems are positional. He had no business exposing himself like that for the first goal, and it felt like he always had a poor starting position against the opposing player.

The signs with him are very worrying because he is young and very talented but has undoubtedly regressed since the year turned to 2013. His performances since this point have been unrecognisable. He is one of a number of players who have regressed significantly. How many teams have 7-8 players regress to this degree concurrently?

It might not be a coincidence that he's been bad since Debuchy came in. It may very well be that Pardew has tried to make us more expansive and failed miserably at it. Santon's never been the best positionally but he seems to get caught high up the pitch with some regularity.

Thought he played well on the whole but his positional sense for the goal was bad.... he should have held his position instead of pressing the ball.

All i can say is there can't have been many outstanding LB performances :lol:  not that he was bad on the whole or anything but he wasn't exactly great either.

Although i agree with their little write up on him, he was playing well before Everton and was linking up well with Remy hopefully we see less of Everton this season and more of what he's showed so far this season.

Guest firetotheworks

Thought he played well on the whole but his positional sense for the goal was bad.... he should have held his position instead of pressing the ball.

All i can say is there can't have been many outstanding LB performances :lol:  not that he was bad on the whole or anything but he wasn't exactly great either.

Leighton Baines exists, so I'm surprised he didn't get it. That's not a dig at Baines, like. I think he's absolutely brilliant.

Should see Baines for England finally now that cashley cnut features has a knock...

Imagine having Baines on our left... :love:

You think Baines is better than Cole? Cole has been one of England's consistent top performers through all the years of turd, very rarely let's England down and one of the best left backs in the world imo.

Guest palnese

Cole has been England's best player for the past 10 years.

Without a doubt, can't believe people would have Baines over him. Cole has proven himself to be one of very few world class players in our side.

The only one, imo. At least at the International stage.

Cole has been England's best player for the past 10 years.

Without a doubt, can't believe people would have Baines over him. Cole has proven himself to be one of very few world class players in our side.

The only one, imo. At least at the International stage.

I think Ferdinand (not the one that looks like a cooker) has also put himself in that bracket. You could debate a few of them likes of Lampard/Rooney but agree Cole is the one has firmly put himself in the world class bracket and for me still is one of the best left backs in the world.

• 2 weeks later...

Still think he'd be better on the right. It's not just when he's in position to cross and he has to shift inside. It's any pass where he has to knock it down the left side. He always uses his right and it always drifts towards the touchline.