Bryan Ruiz

JH

Guest Rainforest

The sad thing is we don't seem to be able to compete with the likes of Fulham and Stoke (not their signings who are to a man a load a crap but the amount they are prepared to spend) in the transfer market. This will sound arrogant to none NUFC fans, but with our following and history we should expect to better than those teams in the transfer windows, regardless of the fact that we had 35 million in our warchest.

With our history and following we should be able to compete with clubs like Chelsea and Man City in the transfer market.

We would be able to if those clubs were spending anything like what they can afford. But the fact is they are spending the personal money of mega-rich benefactors.

The thing is, this window was a golden opportunity to strengthen properly. Seeing how we have started the season, how other teams have spent etc, I genuinly believe if we spent all the carrollmoney on a Proper CB, a good RB making Simpson first backup-choice, maybe a class midfielder as backup for Tiote ( like Matuidi), and a proper proven striker like Cissè, We could have challenged top-7. Everton lost arteta, Villa is not really looking that lethal etc, We could have established our ambition as a upper-table side.

Instead, this window will go down as a opportunity missed, and we are back to one of the weaker strikeforce-sides in the PL.

If Ba gets injured, I genuinly believe we will have a situation up top. :\

Guest Rainforest

You're talking about signing 3 or 4 players who'd be on about £40-60k a week, there is no way we can afford that.

Says who?  Following a bit of napkin math, lets say we spent 25 mill more on 4 players, leaving 10 million of the Carroll-money for wages.

Then lets assume they are on 40k a week each, thats 160k a week, paying their wages until Christmas/New year 2012/2013.

Surely there must be quite a bit of income from commercial shirt sales, higher attendance etc, but thats beyond the point.

If we cant afford that fair enough, just some random rambling..

First instinct was to think "Why the fuck would he pick Fulham over us" but then you realise he's probably just seen what's went on with our club, especially in the last year.

A quiet little club like Fulham that never has any drama must seem like heaven in comparison.

I would be very surprised if that's the case. More likely they just spotted him first, convinced him to join them and he liked the idea of being massively paid to live in luxury somewhere in West London.

Really don't think players have as depressing an outlook on Newcastle Utd as the fans do. Except the ones we've forced out of course.

In which case why did we even bother making a last day bid for him?

Because we're not psychic and his agent said he'd be willing to speak to us if we had a bid accepted?

Inconsistencies appeared when different sources reported the Ruiz story on Wednesday night:

BBC Radio 5 Live reported that Newcastle offered inferior personal terms to Ruiz - Sky reported that United's offer was superior.

AD.nl reported that Twente claimed to have received only one bid for Ruiz - from Fulham. Sky claimed earlier to have been contacted by Twente's Chairman confirming our bid.

The agent of Ruiz was quoted by various newspapers in late afternoon as saying that Newcastle had entered the bidding. Sky later reported that said agent had failed to appear at an arranged meeting in London.

How bizarre.

Guest Rainforest

I imagine Mike and Dekka in his office wednesday night, watching the live coverage:

Mike: Hey Derek, they havent mentioned us all evening on sky , might make us look bad to the fans :troll: look - Fulham is in talks with this Twente fella, lets pretend to chip in a bid shall we?

Derek: haha, Sure, one second, Ill make a few calls to spread the word around.

Mike: Order another pizza while you are at it, will you.

if this guy scores 10 league goals this season I will ask the admins to give me an permanent IP ban. Thank you and good night.

Hope Neil's still about

I'm having a hard time trying to have promises that are the most realistic in my sig. That said, the one I made to Beren is probably the rashest and most likely of them all.

Guest johnson293

From Twitter...

karlsentk Tor-Kristian Karlsen

by Neilfarrington

contender for maddest signing ever: bryan ruiz to fulham for £10 million+. absolutely outrageous. what are fulham thinking?!

8 minutes ago

This Tor-Kristian bloke .... football analyst, (ex?) chief scout & sporting director, writer & opinionista. all views expressed are mine, not those of any employer/club i may represent http://tkkarlsen.tv2blogg.no/

From Twitter...

by Neilfarrington

contender for maddest signing ever: bryan ruiz to fulham for £10 million+. absolutely outrageous. what are fulham thinking?!

8 minutes ago

This Tor-Kristian bloke .... football analyst, (ex?) chief scout & sporting director, writer & opinionista. all views expressed are mine, not those of any employer/club i may represent http://tkkarlsen.tv2blogg.no/

Been mentioned before here. He reckons he's the new/similar to Samaras. They laughed in the studio when they heard we matched the bid.

From Twitter...

by Neilfarrington

8 minutes ago

Maiga , Roux , Pieters , Ridgewell , Erdinc , Cisse ,Cissokho are all shit footballers, we don't need them .

:memelol:

From Twitter...

by Neilfarrington

8 minutes ago

Been mentioned before here. He reckons he's the new/similar to Samaras. They laughed in the studio when they heard we matched the bid.

ruiz: peaked a couple of seasons ago (under mcclaren), poor last term (in holland, go figure), abysmal for costa rica in the gold cup

Does anyone on this board seriously think this guy is worth 10 million plus?

Not really, but i would have taken him yesterday for that fee anyway.

Does anyone on this board seriously think this guy is worth 10 million plus?

Not the right question to ask. Most didn't/don't know anything about him other than that he's had a couple of good seasons in Holland and looked good on youtube(?). The fans just wanted some exciting quality player up front. You'll have to ask what the board was doing if he really is this poor as Karlsen says.

Inconsistencies appeared when different sources reported the Ruiz story on Wednesday night:

BBC Radio 5 Live reported that Newcastle offered inferior personal terms to Ruiz - Sky reported that United's offer was superior.

AD.nl reported that Twente claimed to have received only one bid for Ruiz - from Fulham. Sky claimed earlier to have been contacted by Twente's Chairman confirming our bid.

The agent of Ruiz was quoted by various newspapers in late afternoon as saying that Newcastle had entered the bidding. Sky later reported that said agent had failed to appear at an arranged meeting in London.

How bizarre.

Macdonald was on the Legends tonight and said he spoke to a guy in the Fulham heirachy who said Newcastle never had any contact with Ruiz or his agent and club   :shifty:

How bizarre.

Macdonald was on the Legends tonight and said he spoke to a guy in the Fulham heirachy who said Newcastle never had any contact with Ruiz or his agent and club  :shifty:

Wouldn't be surprised if that did happen tbh.

Guest Haris Vuckic

Sorry for bumping but

Jeff Stelling saying it was a PR exercise

Someone has to do something, they are tearing the club to bits.