Realistic Transfer Targets

MyPalAl

Would take him to play on the left wing, if we want to give Cisse / have Ba play in the middle. Doesn't support us like, don't believe that for one second.

I've heard it from his mouth that he does.

Would take him to play on the left wing, if we want to give Cisse / have Ba play in the middle. Doesn't support us like, don't believe that for one second.

Thing is if we do play a system that involves 2 strikers and and 3 cm's a left wing spot won't even exist, i'm sure we will play different systems and different ways of playing etc etc but Johnson will want to start practically every game not to mention a winger is far from the list of priorities this squad needs.

Would be a nice player to have to add the squad if he's willing to accept the fact he won't start every game but it's not really a necessity.

I meant to say give Cisse a rest there, basically he would play where Ba did at the end of last season. Nice to think about but meh.

I know there's a fortnight left in the window but it's starting to feel to me like there won't be enough time to get Anita, Debuchy and whoever in  :undecided:

Guest firetotheworks

He's not my type of winger in the same way Duff wasn't. Don't get me wrong, I despised Duff but can see Johnson's quality. He's just not pacey, direct and comfortable on the ball enough for me.

Guest firetotheworks

He just doesn't look effective enough is what Im getting at. He looks fairly easy to mark as well imo.

I don't think Johnson is enough of a goal threat, tbh. If we put a player on the left of a 4-3-3, he needs to be scoring 10-15 goals a season, imo, if we will be a European competitive side. If we plan to win many games, the goals will have to come from somewhere other than three players (two of whom may leave for a month if they beat Cote D'Ivoire) and the occasional Shola match.

Guest firetotheworks

I think Downing just made the jump to Liverpool and it consumed him rather than brought out the best in him. I don't think he's good like, but he's not as bad as last season.

Johnson had 6 goals & 6 assists from 13 matches worth of minutes last year, bit harsh to say hes not effective. Always looks dangerous to me, just barely starts for them. Seems to pick up goals/assists near anytime he has. Doubt we've room for him if we're getting Anita though, big problem with finding depth of any quality is that they dont want to be used for depth.

Aye, Shearer was chuffed when he scored against us. Lee Clark looked suicidal.

:lol: I remember that - for Fulham. Was the most uncelebratory non-celebration i've ever seen.

Aye it wasn't even like "shit, better show some respect" it was literally "Ye Gods.Kill me. Kill me now."

:lol: is there a video of this anywhere? I need to see this

He just doesn't look effective enough is what Im getting at. He looks fairly easy to mark as well imo.

I don't think Johnson is enough of a goal threat, tbh.

Disagree entirely. 6 and 6 in limited time is impressive. Think he'd be quite prolific with more playing time.

Guest firetotheworks

Aye, Shearer was chuffed when he scored against us. Lee Clark looked suicidal.

:lol: I remember that - for Fulham. Was the most uncelebratory non-celebration i've ever seen.

Aye it wasn't even like "s***, better show some respect" it was literally "Ye Gods.Kill me. Kill me now."

:lol: is there a video of this anywhere? I need to see this

Dunno. It was 03/04 if that helps. We won 3-2 iirc.

Aye, it's only a very short clip. Was it a penalty, or am i making that up? It just cuts to him with a face like thunder as his teammates surround him. He just scratches his chin and wanders back to the other half. :lol:

Happened to Clarkie twice, in successive games against us too, first time it was worse at it was a late winner. :lol: He then went and scored the opener when we went back there the next season which is the game you're talking about, we went on to win that one.

Guest firetotheworks

Aye, it's only a very short clip. Was it a penalty, or am i making that up? It just cuts to him with a face like thunder as his teammates surround him. He just scratches his chin and wanders back to the other half. :lol:

It was a tap in. I can't imagine him volunteering to score against us and then being gutted about it. :lol:

Frank Wiafe Danquah.

Appear to have got his little brother signed up for the under 18s (or some other Danquah anyway). Team sheet from match v Clyde under 18s:

Team: Woodman, Morgan, Drennan, McKinnon, Desmond, Aarons, Danquah, Smith, Olley, Quinn, Gilliead

Frank Wiafe Danquah.

Appear to have got his little brother signed up for the under 18s (or some other Danquah anyway). Team sheet from match v Clyde under 18s:

Team: Woodman, Morgan, Drennan, McKinnon, Desmond, Aarons, Danquah, Smith, Olley, Quinn, Gilliead

Ask him on the Twitter.