Aston Villa v NUFC - Sat 17th September 3PM

wormy

Definitely like to see Best and Ba get some solid game time together, think there's more potential for link up play there than any other combo of forwards we have atm.

Wouldn't be so quick to give up on Obertan either, Jonas is the one I'd drop for Marveaux.

But then again I wouldn't be playing 4-4-2 away from home. :(

Hopefully it's slightly more exciting than last season's tie.

Draw would be pleasant.

You know what? I can't even remember that game.

Took me a while n'all. Televised 1-0 defeat, one of the worst performances of the season. Colo in midfield iirc?

Guest MrSundlofer

A 4-4-2 worked well last season with Jonás - Nolan - Tioté - Barton... and Barton was acting more as a central midfielder than a right winger. Nowadays we play with a left winger, a right winger and two central midfielders. Could say Tioté are used to play with two other central midfielders (from last season and from his time in Holland) and Cabaye was a part of a three-man-midfield in Lille. These two are now our two central midfielders. Great players, but are they "build" to play in a 4-4-2? I think both of them play their best football in a 4-3-3.

However, I gladly give them time to adapt.

Imagine a midfield-three of Tioté, Cabaye and.. say Adel Taarabt - a player running with the ball, a bit flair and an eye for goal. Looking forward to have Hatem Ben Arfa back  O0

Guest Pedro_de_geordieo

f*** it. Sorry for moving in, never started one of these, but let's look ahead and see if we can build on the good points return, but s*** attacking play.

Krul

Simmo    Saylor    Colo    Santon

Marv      Cabaye  Tiote  Jonas

Best        Ba

Would be tempted to leave Tiote out to give him a kick up the ass, but who in place of him in the centre?

HAS to be that line-up

This is the line up i'd like to see with Sammy playing a part

i'd go with an extra midfielder, probably Gosling alongside Tiote pushing Cabaye slightly more forward, play one up front, toss up between Best & Ba.  Oh and bring Santon in for raylor.  The impending birth of Raylors baby may take the decision out of Pardews hands anyway.

KRUL

SIMO  SAYLOR  COLO  SANTON

GOSLING  TIOTE

MARV      CABAYE  JONAS

BA or BEST

Tonight was always going to be a tough game, newly promoted side, everyone buzzing and the crowd up for it.  Saturday should be different, will be going to a ground which will be 3/4 full and if we keep it tight and frustrate them there fans will turn on there team and manager.

With Binnsy there, would definately like to see this.

KRUL

SIMO  SAYLOR  COLO  SANTON

CABAYE  TIOTE

JONAS      GOSLING      MARVEAUX

BEST

Surprised we didnt see at least a cameo from Santon today though. Not convinced Pardew is ready to start him next week but I bloody hope he changes his mind this week if so.

Krul

Simpson        Taylor      Coloccini        Santon

Tiote        Cabaye

Jonas                      Obertan                Marveaux

Ba

This is what I would play.  If we're going to put Cabaye and Tiote in the same starting 11 there needs to be another CM ahead of them as neither of them push up very far to any sort of degree.  We need that player in the middle to link the wingers and forwards with Cabaye and Tiote.

I'm not sure I'd put those foward three midfielders in those exact positions though.  Jonas is often wasted on the right.

Krul

Simpson  S.Taylor  Coloccini  Santon

Tiote

Cabaye  Marveaux

Ba                            Jonas

Best

Guest VaVaVoom

This will probably be our hardest test so far this season.

Whilst Villa are nothing great, they have picked up 4 from 6 at home, scoring 3 and conceding 1.

Taylor and Colo are in for a tough afternoon what with the pace of Agbonlahor, the strength of Heskey and the all round threat from Bent.

In midfield however is where we should win the game. N'Zogbia's pace is a danger, as too is Petrov from distance but i think we can rough them up and control the game in the middle.

Away from home, pack the midfield, get pace on the wings and in the hole.

---Ba---

Marveaux-----Obertan-----Gutierrez

---Tiote---Cabaye---

Santon---Coloccini---Taylor---Simpson

---Krul---

Bench: Elliott, Kadar, Raylor, Gosling, Guthrie, Shola and Best

That is our best possible 11 with the exception of Barfa for Obertan.

The problem is we're not getting any service to the forwards. Either Krul or Taylor aimlessly punt it forward or we give to the wide men, one of which wouldn't say boo to a goose and other who has inconsistent end product. We badly need a link between the midfield and strikers, hopefully Marveaux can provide a fresh option.

Guest VaVaVoom

The problem is we're not getting any service to the forwards. Either Krul or Taylor aimlessly punt it forward or we give to the wide men, one of which wouldn't say boo too a ghost and other who has inconsistent end product. We badly need a link between the midfield and strikers, hopefully Marveaux can provide a fresh option.

I agree but i honestly do think that it will come in time.

Cabaye has shown he has the technical ability on the ball and an eye for a pass. I think he has sat deaper because Tiote hasnt got going yet.

Marveaux has a great ball on him and is quick, i hope he and Santon forge a good understanding down the left..

Jonas runs.....and runs....and scares defenders. He final ball maybe be poor but he brings other people into play. Him and Obertan to battle it out for RM.

Krul

Tiote

Cabaye  Marveaux

Best

I like this. Good shout.

No way RTaylor should be sent out against the Zog. Its a hard first ask for Santon, but he must play.

Obertan was a passenger yesterday, so maybe give Marveaux a game. I don't like 4-4-2, but Besty and Ba is the way until we can find someone to play off a lone striker. Aside from HBA, every other option would be untested.

I ferking hate McLeish, so I really hope we win. A point would still be a decent result though. Given's dodgy on crosses but I can't see us exploiting it.

Well this could be the game where we get a bit of a wake up call as people have suggested. As someone mentioned (Sewelly I think) the thought of Agbonlahor/N'Zogbia tearing at Raylor is a hideous one. The lads at the back and the keeper have done brilliantly so far but this would be a bridge too far wouldn't it.

If we can change it from being cloggers up front to a bit of variety and use our pace a bit better we'll be able to put them on the back foot a bit. I'd like to see Marveaux involved or if he is going to play Obertan change it slightly because he's looked far from being an out an out and out winger who will cross anything or take anyone on. Maybe a tweak in formation would get more out of him?

Shola shouldn't start and it would be fantastic to see the likes of Sammy get a decent run out if we're banging our head off brick walls after 60 mins. Be interested to see how Ba does from now on now that Ramadan is over as it's been made clear (whether you agree with it or not) that the period has had an effect on the lads fitness.

Krul

Tiote

Cabaye  Marveaux

Best

I like this. Good shout.

The line up reminds me of the side Aston Villa brought to SJP last season though, as in its a bit soft through the middle. I'd like to see a midfield 3 with Gosling/Guthrie in it.

I think its crazy people suggest a 442 tbh.

Have we not seen evidence enough so far this season that we are way better in  a 4231 (451/433) formation?

We simply are not able to control games playing 2 CM.

I agree with people suggesting Gosling in the middle with Tiote&Cabaye, but just away.

Then we will let Cabaye use his creativity much more, Gosling will be able to do some box runs, and work his socks off.

We will have two quick wingers, working of Best or Ba. Or fullbacks will be more involved, as our wings in turns, cut more inside depending on what side we build up our play on.

Cabaye and Tiote are made for a 3 man CM, away Gosling/Guthrie, home we can move one Jonas/obertan/marveaux/HBA in the advanced midfield position.

And then others on the wing.

I want to see our 3 offensive midfielders rotate more, lets say we have Marveaux - Obertan - Jonas playing, let them change position during the match, more flow, harder to defense against.

We need to be more unpredictable imo.

Hope Pardew see what most of us see, and use our best players in ways we get most out of them.