Forest 3 - 4 Newcastle (Carling Cup) - 20/09/11 - post-match reaction from p55

Dave

considering Pardew's pretty much picked the team on merit (with the exception of shola) since he's been here, do we think abeid's display last night will finally remove smith from the bench? i fucking hope so

Now that sounds good. :drool:

considering Pardew's pretty much picked the team on merit (with the exception of shola) since he's been here, do we think abeid's display last night will finally remove smith from the bench? i fucking hope so

Pardew said in that radio interview linked a few posts up that he likes Abeid but thinks he 1 or 2 things short from pushing for a first team place. Sounds like just short of the bench at the mo.

Speaks volumes that even those who went to match forgot that Guthrie played. :lol:

:lol:

That's really harsh and way off the mark.

Definitely.  I think Guthrie did alright last night, was more involved than Abeid.  Impressed that he managed to put in 120 minutes after not having played for so long.

Anyway it was a funny one last night.  Goals aside you'd have to say it was a fairly drab match and there wasn't much pattern to the play from either side. 

Ben Arfa was brilliant, I really don't think I'm overreacting here (:lol:) - he was quite quiet for the first 15 minutes but then he started getting on the ball a bit more.  The guy is so comfortable on the ball, it always looks like there's nobody anywhere near him because he has such a confident air about him while in possession.  There was a moment in the second half when he drifted past 3 or 4 players before encountering their last man - on that occasion he opted to pass (to Lovenkrands I think) but with a few more games under his belt I think he'll just go for it himself in situations like that.  Another thing I liked was that he wasn't afraid to come deep to find the ball when he got fed up of standing and waiting for it.  With a few players around him that have movement and intelligence (and we do have a couple) I'm just really excited to see this kid ingratiate himself in our side now.  In summary, he's the fucking dog's bollocks.

Ratings: Elliott 6, Simpson 6, Coloccini 8 (MOTM, looked solid and classy after an early wobble, kept Perch out of trouble, scored the winner), Perch 6, Ferguson 6, Gosling 5, Abeid 6, Guthrie 6, Marveaux 7, Lovenkrands 7, Ben Arfa 8 (subs Obertan 7, Sammy 6, Shola 6).

Special mention to the kids behind us that were absolutely thick as mince.  As soon as they got to their seats they opened (yes, opened!) with "McClaren is a paedo".  Mere mortals would be discouraged by this chant not catching on despite 100 attempts at starting it (they even changed the melody to the Sammy Ameobi song halfway through, presumably to take advantage of its popularity) but no, these lads continued this long into extra time and I imagine long into the Nottingham night.  Persistence outstanding, brains non-existent.

Speaks volumes that even those who went to match forgot that Guthrie played. :lol:

:lol:

That's really harsh and way off the mark.

Definitely.  I think Guthrie did alright last night, was more involved than Abeid.  Impressed that he managed to put in 120 minutes after not having played for so long.

Anyway it was a funny one last night.  Goals aside you'd have to say it was a fairly drab match and there wasn't much pattern to the play from either side. 

Ben Arfa was brilliant, I really don't think I'm overreacting here (:lol:) - he was quite quiet for the first 15 minutes but then he started getting on the ball a bit more.  The guy is so comfortable on the ball, it always looks like there's nobody anywhere near him because he has such a confident air about him while in possession.  There was a moment in the second half when he drifted past 3 or 4 players before encountering their last man - on that occasion he opted to pass (to Lovenkrands I think) but with a few more games under his belt I think he'll just go for it himself in situations like that.  Another thing I liked was that he wasn't afraid to come deep to find the ball when he got fed up of standing and waiting for it.  With a few players around him that have movement and intelligence (and we do have a couple) I'm just really excited to see this kid ingratiate himself in our side now.  In summary, he's the f***ing dog's bollocks.

Ratings: Elliott 6, Simpson 6, Coloccini 8 (MOTM, looked solid and classy after an early wobble, kept Perch out of trouble, scored the winner), Perch 6, Ferguson 6, Gosling 5, Abeid 6, Guthrie 6, Marveaux 7, Lovenkrands 7, Ben Arfa 8 (subs Obertan 7, Sammy 6, Shola 6).

Special mention to the kids behind us that were absolutely thick as mince.  As soon as they got to their seats they opened (yes, opened!) with "McClaren is a paedo".  Mere mortals would be discouraged by this chant not catching on despite 100 attempts at starting it (they even changed the melody to the Sammy Ameobi song halfway through, presumably to take advantage of its popularity) but no, these lads continued this long into extra time and I imagine long into the Nottingham night.  Persistence outstanding, brains non-existent.

The way some people think behaviour like that will impress those around them always makes me laugh. Quite funny people watching if youre at an away game sober. Saw this old guy get more and more annoyed in the pub at Villa, snarling out songs with aggression, then getting his mate to put him on their shoulders so he could rip down an ROI flag above the bar. The pride, the clenched fist, the No Surrender song, then again snarling out some of the most unoffensive songs we have like he was going to batter someone straight after it. Funny to watch. ha

Thought that there were lots of positives to come out of the game.  Cannot wait now to see Ben Arfa and Marvaux in the first team.  We have some very good players.

Considering most of the players last night were playing their first competitive match after injury or hadn't played 90 minutes this season, I thought they did really well - I was concerned going into extra time, that they would all fade badly but they managed to do just enough.

Guest johnson293

Will it be proper highlights on the BBC tonight, or just showing the goals? Hope they show Ben Arfa's run to set up the Lovenkrands chance.

Has the chance to be one of the highlights (depending on tonights reults), as it was one of the most exciting games (for the neutral) of last night.

They'll probably go with Stoke - Spurs 'highlights' instead though.

Guest Rey Mysterio

Ratings - Elliott 6 (if he's telling the truth about being unsighted for the first goal!), Ferguson 6, Colo 8, Perch 6, Simpson 4, Marveaux 8, Guthrie 6, Abeid 7, Gosling 4, Ben Arfa 8, Lovenkrands 6.  Subs, Sammy 7, Shola 5, Obertan 7

Really enjoyed it again, especially not having to pay £43.00 a sodding ticket this time! Decent enough atmosphere, plenty of goals, mixed individual performances but couldn't expect much more as a team considering there were 9 changes, and a last minute winner from the captain  :aww:

DISCLAIMER - THis is an e-mail from my mate who went to both Chesterfield and Forest, not my opinion.

Ben Arfa is everything you'd want in an attacking midfielder, good touch, wants to run at people and has a good eye for a pass - FLAIR.  Fitness though FITNESS, I worry.

Marvo is just Routledge, ask me again in  a month.

Perch did nowt wrong for me but that's his standard, he's comfortable against that lot.

Gosling did nowt of note.

Elliot, as I've said what does he offer that Harper and Forster don't. IF they wanted a goaly why didn't they actually scout a one, say like aheemm cough for example Keiron Westwood. He's a mate of Woodmans and that why he's here and that's what you get for £100,000

Obertan actually put a cross over.

Abeid - SERIOUSLY I didn't even notice he was playing.