Mike Ashley

Christmas Tree

Sports Direct urges shareholders to approve £65m bonus for Mike Ashley

http://www.theguardian.com/business/2014/mar/11/sports-direct-shareholders-bonus-mike-ashley-founder

Having read that article, to be fair to Mike Ashley, the terms of the share bonus (worth about £65m) only reward success and not failure. If the company doesn't perform he doesn't get the bonus.

From Sports Direct's point of view he's doing an absolutely incredible job.

Sports Direct urges shareholders to approve £65m bonus for Mike Ashley

http://www.theguardian.com/business/2014/mar/11/sports-direct-shareholders-bonus-mike-ashley-founder

Having read that article, to be fair to Mike Ashley, the terms of the share bonus (worth about £65m) only reward success and not failure. If the company doesn't perform he doesn't get the bonus.

From Sports Direct's point of view he's doing an absolutely incredible job.

From a Newcastle fans point of view, he is cutting off or options.

I mean, keeping prices low for fans is generally considered a good thing right? In fact, since matchday income doesn't have much to do with spending power, more clubs should be doing exactly what we're doing.

There is an argument that people shouldn't be locked in for 5 years, but then that element is optional. I can see why the club wants to secure season ticket income long-term, that's perfectly normal. Whether you think it's normal business practice or an attempt to enslave us to the Ashley will is a matter of opinion I suppose.

i was going to say you're missing the point, but you rarely miss the point of these things you seem to just choose to sidestep it

no-one else is decreasing their prices ian, it's just the equivalent of selling shell suits cheap in his shops:

"no-one is buying those shite sondico shell suits we bought mike, they're a tenner and people don't want them"

"ok let's drop them to a fiver"

it's exactly the same; the fans are an instrumental part of the advertising vehicle, but people have stopped wanting to pay money for a shite product so rather than attempt to win them back with a better product they'll try and sell them the same shit cheaper

wish i had a letter, i'd wipe my arse on it and send it back

i know you know all this btw

There's that evil comment again.

:lol: :thup:

Totally agree there must be a load of people packing in for Ashley to panic like this

I can see many people taking up on his offer though.

Guest chopey

when I canceled mine in February I got a letter offering me £24 off next seasons ticket, I told them I would rather pay more if we were prepared to have a go at being a football club I got no reply

I wouldn't have a ticket next season even if they were given away free of charge but would happily pay more if the club was ambitious, they haven't got a clue as to why people are packing in. I hope people can see through the latest pathetic attempt to make it look as if we endorse what they are doing by the club.

I wouldn't have a ticket next season even if they were given away free of charge but would happily pay more if the club was ambitious, they haven't got a clue as to why people are packing in. I hope people can see through the latest pathetic attempt to make it look as if we endorse what they are doing by the club.

honest question, if they canned pardew and appointed say laudrup or someone like martinez (whoever that may be) but were very upfront about the fact they're not going to spend much money would you but a ST on that basis? i.e. you'd be looking at better football, a manager who knows what he's doing and wants to win football games but won't be provided much in the way of resources

honest question, if they canned pardew and appointed say laudrup or someone like martinez (whoever that may be) but were very upfront about the fact they're not going to spend much money would you but a ST on that basis? i.e. you'd be looking at better football, a manager who knows what he's doing and wants to win football games but won't be provided much in the way of resources

Nope, i still wouldn't go.

There should never be a point of no return.

If Ashley appoints what seems like competent people to run the club, make funds that are available available, and starts operating the club like a club instead of an advertisement tool then I wouldn't mind him owning the club at all.

There should never be a point of no return.

If Ashley appoints what seems like competent people to run the club, make funds that are available available, and starts operating the club like a club instead of an advertisement tool then I wouldn't mind him owning the club at all.

Aye.  Kinnear giving up the drink and a stadium on the moon would be nice too.

I would probably go because I might actually enjoy the football.

Yeah I'd have a season ticket for Everton like.

Yeah I'd have a season ticket for Everton like.

Yeah this is how I feel about it tbh.