Mike Ashley

Christmas Tree

Ridsdale was out of his depth at Leeds but spent the money (which crippled them) which got them to the top 5 & a Champions League Semi.

But we never spent that sort of money until Souness came in. That was Shepherd's biggest failing, trusting a bellend with money that wasn't really there.

As for Sir Bobby, Viana, Bramble, Woodgate, Bellamy and Robert was hardly spending above our limits.

By the way: "he's a miracle man, the chairman." - Sir Bobby Robson, 2003.

Everyone sucks up to their boss man :lol:

He wasn't his boss in 2006, when he again praised Shepherd's backing of him in his book.

It's clear from Sir Bob's book that his relationship with Shepherd was very fraught. From his account of his appointment, it sounded like Shepherd didn't want him and that the decision was being forced on him by others. Towards the end, Robson felt he was being undermined in various situations.

Yes, there were times when Shepherd would act boldly and decisively, (eg the Woodgate signing), and Sir Bob appreciated that. But as a Chairman, Shepherd got far too involved in the playing side, and we ended up with awful decisions like the spunking of huge amounts of money on Owen and Luque, who didn't even want to come here.

Ridsdale was out of his depth at Leeds but spent the money (which crippled them) which got them to the top 5 & a Champions League Semi.

But we never spent that sort of money until Souness came in. That was Shepherd's biggest failing, trusting a bellend with money that wasn't really there.

As for Sir Bobby, Viana, Bramble, Woodgate, Bellamy and Robert was hardly spending above our limits.

We were about to sign Zenden before Robert. Doubt any of those top 5 finishes would have happened had he chose us over Chelsea in 2001. Can't put those finishes down to Shepherd.

As frustrating as the Shepherd era was, it was still miles better than what we have to endure with the current wanker. I wouldn't be jumping with joy if he bought us back (which he won't; he hasn't got the money for one), but at this point I would be satisfied with anyone offering a glimmer of hope and ambition, as sad as it is.

I'd written plenty out about this but I'm not even going to post it, it's that much of a ridiculous argument.

Suffice to say ambitious incompetence is infinitely preferable to sheer malice, and I say that as somebody who hated Freddy Shepherd.

Absolutely.

Guest neesy111

We were about to sign Zenden before Robert. Doubt any of those top 5 finishes would have happened had he chose us over Chelsea in 2001. Can't put those finishes down to Shepherd.

So who does it go to?  Lady luck?

So out of his depth that we finished 2nd, 4th, 3rd and 5th with him in the seat.

Then again, the balance sheet was s*** viewing.

Robson got him most of those. He is the sole reason for our success under him. Dalgleish's was lucky with inheriting a great team before royally f***ing it up.

Bobby was backed very well with transfer funds with the exception of one summer. We showed a lot of ambition back then.

Bobby had a fair few flunks in the transfer market and Shephard kept backing him. Carl Cort ffs.

Robson, the team & Robert.

That's it. Shepherd gets no credit for all that from me. Robson was not only an obvious choice, it was the only choice. It wasn't even a choice. Robson brought experience, respect from the world of football, ideas, tactical knowledge, player knowledge etc etc etc to the role and Shepeherd sat there watching, taking his millions and lapping it up. He hardly had to work. As I said, Robson carried us. Shepherd spent some money we made based on our GREAT manager's recommendations. That's all he did. That's the very least a chairman should be doing. Is he as bad as Ashley? No. Was he any good? No!

I'd written plenty out about this but I'm not even going to post it, it's that much of a ridiculous argument.

Suffice to say ambitious incompetence is infinitely preferable to sheer malice, and I say that as somebody who hated Freddy Shepherd.

Absolutely.

I've said this many times and it's true.

We spent £16m on two players after finishing 11th with no obvious cash injection.

Shephard was an ambitious Chairmen. When we got into the CL/battling it out in Europe. That's where he wanted the club to be and he tried to do what was necessary to get us there in the first place.

Souness was the worst move ever. But he genuinely tried to make it work by getting Souness big name signings to try and get us back in that top echelon. He tried. He wanted us to succeed.

Guest bimpy474

We spent £16m on two players after finishing 11th with no obvious cash injection.

Shephard was an ambitious Chairmen. When we got into the CL/battling it out in Europe. That's where he wanted the club to be and he tried to do what was necessary to get us there in the first place.

Souness was the worst move ever. But he genuinely tried to make it work by getting Souness big name signings to try and get us back in that top echelon. He tried. He wanted us to succeed.

Yep and why people saying they wouldn't want him back over Ashley is proper mental. A bloke who's misguided but wants us to be successful or a wanker who sees us as one big billboard for his own pocket.

I know who i'd choose every time.

That's it. Shepherd gets no credit for all that from me. Robson was not only an obvious choice, it was the only choice. It wasn't even a choice. Robson brought experience, respect from the world of football, ideas, tactical knowledge, player knowledge etc etc etc to the role and Shepeherd sat there watching, taking his millions and lapping it up. He hardly had to work. As I said, Robson carried us. Shepherd spent some money we made based on our GREAT manager's recommendations. That's all he did. That's the very least a chairman should be doing. Is he as bad as Ashley? No. Was he any good? No!

Apart from the times when he didn't.

Like going out and buying Carr because he didn't fancy Robsons choice, Miguel.

Or this gem - "I wanted to sign Carrick for Newcastle in the summer of 2004 for £3million but my chairman preferred the cheaper option, Nicky Butt".

Apart from the times when he didn't.

Like going out and buying Carr because he didn't fancy Robsons choice, Miguel.

Or this gem - "I wanted to sign Carrick for Newcastle in the summer of 2004 for £3million but my chairman preferred the cheaper option, Nicky Butt".

:lol::lol: