Mike Ashley

Christmas Tree

No one was expecting us to keep throwing money at players to compete with chelsea, we knew it was impossible.  What we didnt like was money being spent on wank players picked up by favs for agents or the burnt out hasbeens and even the players who never really wanted to be here.  Oh and Shit managers like souness.

Thats what pissed people off.  Oh and the insane wages we were giving players.

Got fuck all to do with competing with chelsea and the like who are owned by mad men.

Guest ToonUltra

My opinions are slowly changing in some respects. I thought he was taking us for a ride and intended on selling up. Now, im not so sure he is.

Judging by the premier league standards now, we will be - if he stays put, in one of the best positions finacially for a club outside of a european competition in the next few seasons, maybe even before then. I totally agree with the way he is controlling the club financially but at first i didnt trust him at all. Now however, i think im starting to.

His way of communication is pathetic, the way he is using SJP as a hoarding for SD is crucifying to see and his inability to delve deep into his billionaire coffers is ridiculous but in the same sentance his buying power for quality players means he doesnt have to spend big. If it wasn't for him I do believe we'd be bordering on FUCKED! (from a financial point of view). We will be the blue-print for the premier league, an example that other clubs will eventually have to follow if new restrictions come in. We will already be in place and operating.

How Citeh manage to spend more than they turnover considering no other business would be allowed to do this without the capital is crucial to how the premier league will eventually become...in fact that applies to nearly every club in the top flight. They got the £400m stadium sponsorship, the owner of Etihad just happens to be the brother of Shiek....funny how the footballing world works. Tell me how Shiek will ever sell Citeh? It's an impossibility unless some other oil tycoon is willing to buy him out. (Maybe his son). The FA overlooked the Etihad as a genuine sponsorship turning a blind eye to the teams that rake them in a vast fortune but punish the teams who slope into debt or administration for no fault of their own, simply a down turn in supporters being outpriced or fixtures being televised on Murdocks enterprise. This in turn meaning people go down their local to watch the games as opposed to funding the club. The FA also rakes in a vault full of money from these TV deals.

Thats why im slowly turning to the point where I can say Ashley is developing us as a 'Club', no longer a debt ridden business which will be self sufficient, providing no relegations in the near future. He has to keep hold of what matters though to make this work. The players, and most importantly the fans who pay our money to support his project.

Long may it continue.

I think he's getting too much credit and the players deserve alot more. He's got the club on a sound financial footing, which is great , and he did it with his own money, which Im very grateful for, but the rest.. very disappointing. I give alot of credit to how Pardew is conducting things, but I wouldn't necessarily give Ashley credit for appointing Alan Pardew, he was cheap and willing. And the stadium looks appalling.

Absolutely no problem with Ashley's transfer policy on the incomings, it's still whether he'll show the ambition to keep a hold of Krul, Colo, Tiote, Cabaye etc in January, the summer and beyond that worries me. One or two big money transfers wouldn't go a miss like, obviously not just for the sake of it, but he paid around £10m for Colo when he first arrived. Would love for us to go out and buy someone like Cissokho.

Why? It honestly sounds like you are wanting him to 'splash the cash' for the sake of it :lol: when you pay a substantial amount of money for a player, their agent (more often than not) expects them to be earning a similar amount to other players who have been bought at that price level. Chances are, the vast majority of £10m~ or more transfers have been carried out by champions league clubs who can afford a higher wage structure than we're currently willing to risk.

We've been doing well with freebies, loans, out of contracts and dissatisfied players with a point to prove - why would you want to change it?

Absolutely no problem with Ashley's transfer policy on the incomings, it's still whether he'll show the ambition to keep a hold of Krul, Colo, Tiote, Cabaye etc in January, the summer and beyond that worries me. One or two big money transfers wouldn't go a miss like, obviously not just for the sake of it, but he paid around £10m for Colo when he first arrived. Would love for us to go out and buy someone like Cissokho.

Why? It honestly sounds like you are wanting him to 'splash the cash' for the sake of it :lol: when you pay a substantial amount of money for a player, their agent (more often than not) expects them to be earning a similar amount to other players who have been bought at that price level. Chances are, the vast majority of £10m~ or more transfers have been carried out by champions league clubs who can afford a higher wage structure than we're currently willing to risk.

We've been doing well with freebies, loans, out of contracts and dissatisfied players with a point to prove - why would you want to change it?

Because like he's just said, Colo is an example of a £10 million player and he's our best and most consistent player.

Because like he's just said, Colo is an example of a £10 million player and he's our best and most consistent player.

Aye, and Colo is apparently one of the last few players on a wage outside of our ceiling - making people constantly worry that he won't be staying - I can't see them sanctioning another £80k pw player while we're outside of the champs league, so why bleat on about him 'splashing the cash'?

Guest ToonUltra

Aye, and Colo is apparently one of the last few players on a wage outside of our ceiling - making people constantly worry that he won't be staying - I can't see them sanctioning another £80k pw player while we're outside of the champs league, so why bleat on about him 'splashing the cash'?

agreed.....two words, Michael Owen

I think he's getting too much credit and the players deserve alot more. He's got the club on a sound financial footing, which is great , and he did it with his own money, which Im very grateful for, but the rest.. very disappointing. I give alot of credit to how Pardew is conducting things, but I wouldn't necessarily give Ashley credit for appointing Alan Pardew, he was cheap and willing. And the stadium looks appalling.

That's incredibly harsh. Ashley presided over the signing of the players and actively decided to go and get Pardew. He has to take the credit for how it has worked out.

Bottom line for me is he rightly got the blame when it all went tits up and should rightly get the credit for turning it around.

Even a lot of the decisions he has made post relegation I have disagreed with at the time and then come to realise it was the best decision (imo) be that ....

Not appointing Shearer after relegation

Appointing Hughton

Appointing Graham Carr

Replacing Hughton with Pardew

Selling Carrol

and quite a few more.

And thats even before we get to the improvements at the training ground (which if we are not already seeing the benefit of with less injuries, will will see the benefit of over winter when we can still train on grass due to under soil heating), or the various season ticket deals.

Took the crap for the bad, should get a fair heap of praise for the good. And long may it continue.

That's incredibly harsh. Ashley presided over the signing of the players and actively decided to go and get Pardew. He has to take the credit for how it has worked out.

I don't believe for one second that Ashley knew who Tiote and Cabaye were. He will of said how old are they, how much do they cost, and how much could they cost. Great buys. But praise the scouts and the manager for that. For all we know, Tiote and Cabaye could of been way down the list of targets that were given to Ashley, but the other ones were deemed too expensive.

I doubt if he will ever loosen the purse strings as someone was hoping.

We should keep our fingers crossed that he has a complete change of heart and becomes enthusiastic about us again. I think he is very likely to sell our best players in January if any offers come in.

His frugal policy probably has more to do with him getting his investment money back than bringing success to what he sees as a hostile and ungrateful Newcastle public.

I bet he is as surprised and amazed as we are that Pardew is managing so well with the paltry support he has given him.

We should keep our fingers crossed that he has a complete change of heart and becomes enthusiastic about us again. I think he is very likely to sell our best players in January if any offers come in.

His frugal policy probably has more to do with him getting his investment money back than bringing success to what he sees as a hostile and ungrateful Newcastle public.

I bet he is as surprised and amazed as we are that Pardew is managing so well with the paltry support he has given him.

could be that he'll never loosen the purse strings as such but will allow to be spent what is available (more available this year than last, more again if we have a a better season coming, more again a few years down the line should we get into the champs league etc). it's been stated already that the wage bill has increased so he is willing to let costs grow if we are in a position to pay for it.

when people say "loosen the purse strings" should they really say "spend more of his own money" ?

could be that he'll never loosen the purse strings as such but will allow to be spent what is available (more available this year than last, more again if we have a a better season coming, more again a few years down the line should we get into the champs league etc). it's been stated already that the wage bill has increased so he is willing to let costs grow if we are in a position to pay for it.

when people say "loosen the purse strings" should they really say "spend more of his own money" ?

it was me who said loosen the purse strings and i've explained what i meant, old ground but he's not really spent any of the money we raked in from sales on fees himself yet - doesn't have to release any of his own money but if the club are breaking even inc. player sales (is that even close?) and we're doing well on the pitch i'd like to see some more club generated money released, doesn't have to be shitloads as i've said

Guest BlacknWhiteArmy

Hats off to Ashley as well.

He's learned quickly and now looks like one of the best owners in the league.

http://blacksportsonline.com/home/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/WeeBey.gif

:lol: