Mike Ashley

Christmas Tree

What would we be thanking him for exactly? Re-investing some cash from the Carroll sale and keeping a promise for a change?

I applaud a lot of the work that has gone on since we went down - we've made great strides since 08/09. I'm delighted with the business we've done this season, with the Cisse signing being a nice balance to the summer's opportunist deals. But there's still a long way to go before they're being coated in overwhelming praise. From me, anyway.

I've said this before, and i know it's a contentious school of thought, but i still consider them in debt to us for the Keegan debacle/subsequent relegation. On the whole, they're going the right way to rectifying it, in spite of the periodical hiccups (eg, turning our stadium into a giant sticker-book).  They're not there yet, though.

Guest BlacknWhiteArmy

I actually think a "Cheers Mike" banner would be a decent idea.

Make him feel loved again and he might just spend a bit more! ;)

FFS :lol:

Guest bimpy474

What the fuck in the devils turds is going on, banners for Mikey boy to make him feel loved :kasper:

I'll show him some love, i'll bum the fat blimp to smithereens and certain death by anal assasination, i'll go gay just for craic  :dave:

i think we all know in our heart of hearts he has not done bad for this football club..when you consider the previous owner....Sir John was pretty good for us but Ashley has tried to stabilise what was a club  alike to an Italian Cruise Ship approaching a harbour  !!!

i think we all know in our heart of hearts he has not done bad for this football club..when you consider the previous owner....Sir John was pretty good for us but Ashley has tried to stabilise what was a club  alike to an Italian Cruise Ship approaching a harbour  !!!

I sea what you did there.  :shifty:

Lets wait until the window is closed before we start showing our love.

yes to a degree i do agree .......  but lets all be honest paying mediocre footballers top top wages who (most of them delivered nothing) was a shit way forward .... i look at some premier league clubs now and i fear for them..thankfully we are no longer in  that bracket !!!

I actually think a "Cheers Mike" banner would be a decent idea.

Make him feel loved again and he might just spend a bit more! ;)

:lol:

just sing- 'get into our club, get into our clu-u-ub, you fit southern geezer get into our club.

This has probably been posted 10 pages back in the Cisse thread so thought I would post it somewhere more people might see it -

http://blogs.independent.co.uk/2012/01/18/papiss-cisse-the-latest-to-benefit-from-newcastles-efficient-recruitment-philosophy/

It’s taken 12 months and two transfer windows, but Mike Ashley has finally fulfilled his promise of splashing the Andy Carroll cash, by delivering Newcastle United fans a new £9m number nine.

He’s much travelled Senegalese striker Papiss Cissé, who comes with a solid pedigree after six fruitful years in France, followed by a successful stint with Bundesliga side SC Freiburg. Hard working, powerful and instinctive, Cissé has the right qualities and talent to suit English football, and with 24 goals in 34 games last season, combined with nine from 15 this, also boasts a reputation as a clinical goalscorer.

Many have known about Cissé for years, recognising him as an under-rated forward who has always scored goals wherever he’s played. Yet in the modern world of lazy scouting, plenty have looked, but nobody has taken the calculated gamble on a forward clearly hungry to succeed.

But that, in a nutshell, typifies Newcastle’s new player recruitment philosophy, which is driving them up the table. In the summer, out went the high earning but less efficient Joey Barton, Kevin Nolan, José Enrique, Wayne Routledge and Sol Campbell, and in their place, cheap, foreign talent with a point to prove.

Yohan Cabaye, Demba Ba, Gabriel Obertan, Davide Santon and Sylvain Marveaux all came in, with many accusing Newcastle of penny pinching and pointing the finger at the pantomime villain Ashley, still sitting on the £35m Carroll fee from the previous January.

The reshuffle has proved to be an instant success, and works on a basic formula: find good players in good leagues and do your research. It’s a simple strategy, but the Premier League is a bubble where reputation can often proceed ability, and as such, many have a short-term inconsistent approach to buying players. Newcastle though, now seem to have found the balance, intensively scouting players recognised as top of their respective foreign leagues, and moving quickly to secure them at bargain prices, taking advantage of the unwillingness to gamble many English outfits still have.

Cissé is the latest, known as a good player who can score goals by many clubs, but those in need of goals would prefer to focus on the likes of Bobby Zamora, Carlton Cole and Andy Johnson. Again, known as decent options, but in a world where value for money is vital, Premier League clubs need to work harder and become more switched on to the talent in the foreign and lower leagues.

If it can work on drama prone Tyneside, it can work anywhere.

A few sly digs in regards to the fans and their opinion of Ashley but a decent article none the less imo.

Guest Sophie S

I don't feel like thanking anyone, for doing once what should come naturally to them. Every club owner should want to try and make their site better and more successful. Finally, after several years, he has done something that seems to be solely for the reason of improving our strength and not just for financial profit. Wow, great, thanks so much Mike for not just seeing us as a delivery boy to the big clubs anymore. Really, he once spends money on us and I'm supposed to forget all his wrongs? We do now have the talents of Cabaye, Ba, Santon and Marveaux thanks to great scouting and maybe the luck of things working out so well, not because Ashley was willing to buy us quality. But he happily sold out good players leaving us with hardly anything to work with at the time.

Also, the last few years have made me extremely distrustful. I'm still expecting a kick in the (figuratively) balls next time I turn around.

I don't feel like thanking anyone, for doing once what should come naturally to them. Every club owner should want to try and make their site better and more successful. Finally, after several years, he has done something that seems to be solely for the reason of improving our strength and not just for financial profit. Wow, great, thanks so much Mike for not just seeing us as a delivery boy to the big clubs anymore. Really, he once spends money on us and I'm supposed to forget all his wrongs? We do now have the talents of Cabaye, Ba, Santon and Marveaux thanks to great scouting and maybe the luck of things working out so well, not because Ashley was willing to buy us quality. But he happily sold out good players leaving us with hardly anything to work with at the time.

Also, the last few years have made me extremely distrustful. I'm still expecting a kick in the (figuratively) balls next time I turn around.

:kasper:

:thup:

don't get the point about financial profit as most of the sales we've made have been what the majority of other clubs would have done. the only question has ever been about how much we could afford to reinvest and how to do it.

Guest Sophie S

don't get the point about financial profit as most of the sales we've made have been what the majority of other clubs would have done.

Maybe financial profit is the wrong term to describe the whole of this problem. It is most definitely his unwillingness to spend any of his money on us. He is treating the club as something that will bring him profit. When it looked like that didn't work out for the last years he refused to spend a penny more on us. I'm sure he'd love to get rid of us as soon as someone is willing to pay him the right amount. If we were lower down in the league right now he wouldn't have re-invested the money from the sales, he would have kept it to balance the books in this business that Newcastle FC is to him. It's just right now that he figures by spending some of it he could actually get us into Europe and that will increase the value of the club.

Might be wrong, but that's what it seems like to me.

:kasper:

:lol:

he's highly unlikely to'make' am

don't get the point about financial profit as most of the sales we've made have been what the majority of other clubs would have done.

Maybe financial profit is the wrong term to describe the whole of this problem. It is most definitely his unwillingness to spend any of his money on us. He is treating the club as something that will bring him profit. When it looked like that didn't work out for the last years he refused to spend a penny more on us. I'm sure he'd love to get rid of us as soon as someone is willing to pay him the right amount. If we were lower down in the league right now he wouldn't have re-invested the money from the sales, he would have kept it to balance the books in this business that Newcastle FC is to him. It's just right now that he figures by spending some of it he could actually get us into Europe and that will increase the value of the club.

Might be wrong, but that's what it seems like to me.

he's highly unlikely to make any money on us (unless someone buys us for 250mill +...unlikely) and you hit the nail on the head with spending "his" money, he'd have a point in saying he's spent enough which is far more than anyone else has ever spent on this club. (not all good though, he's made some huge fuck ups that have affected the club on the pitch and businesswise)