Mike Ashley

Christmas Tree

Good little analysis of our situation, with George Caulkin, on The Times The Game podcast this week, about 25 mins in.

George :thup:

Makes you wonder whether Ashley's real intent it to break the backs of the fans - with many choosing to turn away, so once he's clawed back what he owes, he can sell with the damage being done, leaving a burnt-out shell of a club that will probably never recover..... mainly because it has alienated it's core support.

The lowering of prices is another move in his contraction of our finances. Lowering all costs, minimize all need for revenue in order to keep the club ticking over without any big money going in or out. Sports Direct get free advertising as we don't need other deals to cover any costs.

But why would lowering prices reduce our costs? And why would he want to minimise money coming in?

Good little analysis of our situation, with George Caulkin, on The Times The Game podcast this week, about 25 mins in.

Makes you wonder whether Ashley's real intent it to break the backs of the fans - with many choosing to turn away, so once he's clawed back what he owes, he can sell with the damage being done, leaving a burnt-out shell of a club that will probably never recover..... mainly because it has alienated it's core support.

I don't think that's his intent, he just knows that football customers are extremely loyal. And combined with that, the effect of match-going fans is now minimal compared to TV income.

For me, and why I don't passionately hate Ashley, is that he's more a symptom of what football has allowed itself to become. At all clubs, fans are unimportant and locked into support their clubs. Especially in one-city clubs without many glory hunters like us.

TV money is everything, it has eclipsed matchday revenue to the point where we've got the perfect storm of powerless and passionately attached customers.

The lowering of prices is another move in his contraction of our finances. Lowering all costs, minimize all need for revenue in order to keep the club ticking over without any big money going in or out. Sports Direct get free advertising as we don't need other deals to cover any costs.

But why would lowering prices reduce our costs? And why would he want to minimise money coming in?

Ask him that, he is the one who has massively reduced our commerical revenue since he took control of the club.  :lol:

He is tatty, tatty little man.

Ask him that, he is the one who has massively reduced our commerical revenue since he took control of the club.  :lol:

Not needing to increase income, and giving away advertising to his own company, is pretty different to deliberately putting down ticket prices in an effort to minimise income.

In this case it's to keep attendances high. I'm quite certain this is a move to keep people happy because, while the football being s***, it's still "affordable" - which is the main concern of his customers, whoever they may be. He treats Newcastle United supporters like Sports Direct customers. The main draw, in his world, is low pricing and good deals. He's now trying to compensate for the lack of sporting progress with at least making football "affordable". Revenue at Newcastle United doesn't seem to interest him, it's all about keeping things to a minimum and use it as a platform for SD. He only needs the income in order to cover the lower and lower costs. The TV deals will cover most of that, it's gone from 30% to 60% of our entire revenue.

In this case it's to keep attendances high. I'm quite certain this is a move to keep people happy because, while the football being s***, it's still "affordable" - which is the main concern of his customers, whoever they may be. He treats Newcastle United supporters like Sports Direct customers. The main draw, in his world, is low pricing and good deals. He's now trying to compensate for the lack of sporting progress with at least making football "affordable". Revenue at Newcastle United doesn't seem to interest him, it's all about keeping things to a minimum and use it as a platform for SD. He only needs the income in order to cover the lower and lower costs. The TV deals will cover most of that, it's gone from 30% to 60% of our entire revenue.

Oh right, I understand all that, you just seemed to be saying he was deliberately lowering matchday revenue for some reason other than attracting fans.

Oh right, I understand all that, you just seemed to be saying he was deliberately lowering matchday revenue for some reason other than attracting fans.

No, not at all. He just doesn't need it as the club's being ran on low costs, so he can afford to give it away to soften the critique.

This has been the mantra since the back end of last season when Llambias came out with something similar to justify our low ambition. We're s***, but don't complain, because we're affordable and stable.

“Everyone connected with the club was disappointed to finish where we did last season, particularly on the back of such a fantastic year prior to that."

“Our discussions on Wednesday were very constructive and pinpointed a number of factors that contributed to a season which fell below expectations."

“We’re now looking forward and are entirely focused on the forthcoming campaign, with an expectation of at least a top ten finish"

“There’s been a great deal of speculation in recent weeks but our desire, as we announced back on September, is to bring long-term stability to the Club. It is now up to all of us to work closely as a team to ensure next season sees us competing in the top half of the table again."

“We’d like to thank the fans for their continued support and assure them we remain committed to providing affordable football at St. James’ Park."

They'd be back, though, if someone new came in. People have left because they love the club. It's the extinguishing of hope that has driven people away-if the hope returned, so would the ones who've left.

Not needing to increase income, and giving away advertising to his own company, is pretty different to deliberately putting down ticket prices in an effort to minimise income.

I think you are right. He doesn't need to increase income, since the primary reason for owning NUFC is as an advertising vehicle for Sports Direct. He needs bums on seats not for the money, but to see the advertizing. It also looks better for the Sports Direct brand to have a full stadium than one that is empty.

He very much needs to increase income though, luckily it happens by default because of the TV deal. Obviously it's right about wanting a full stadium.

Then at some point he has to improve the product (success absolutely increases revenue on many levels) and also PAY for the advertising that he currently gets for free.

The advertising is the thing that ticks me off the most, because we are constantly told the club owes him X when it should be X- advertising cost. I assume his thoughts are the payment for the interest free loan is free advertising. So it isn't really interest free, is it?

He doesn't need to increase the quality of the product really though, because match day revenue is small compared to TV money. And match day revenue only fluctuates to a certain extent, because fans are very loyal.

I mean more from the perspective of what I saw during the Keegan years (#1 time as manager). I was walking in Notting Hill and saw our shirts all over the place. We were on the verge of challenging as top dog in England. You can see the same with Man City today: I see their shirts here in the USA now, whereas a few years ago it was all Chelski and Manure.

And more shirts = more revenue, both for NUFC and SD

He doesn't need to increase the quality of the product really though, because match day revenue is small compared to TV money. And match day revenue only fluctuates to a certain extent, because fans are very loyal.

I mean more from the perspective of what I saw during the Keegan years (#1 time as manager). I was walking in Notting Hill and saw our shirts all over the place. We were on the verge of challenging as top dog in England. You can see the same with Man City today: I see their shirts here in the USA now, whereas a few years ago it was all Chelski and Manure.

And more shirts = more revenue, both for NUFC and SD

THis does not compute with Mike Ashley.  He does not understand football.

:lol: I'm not sure it was him, looked like him though. Blonde bird passenger

It doesn't matter if you're not sure, the fact that you thought it might have been, even if only 0.00000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000001% sure then take him out.  If it wasn't him then try again, next time it could be.

:lol: I'm not sure it was him, looked like him though. Blonde bird passenger

It doesn't matter if you're not sure, the fact that you thought it might have been, even if only 0.00000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000001% sure then take him out.  If it wasn't him then try again, next time it could be.

That's the spirit  :lol:

Was in a car, didn't even get a chance to check it was him. Definitely looked like him though

You were in a car?  You could have killed the bastard and said you'd lost control.

He was in a car? Give him one of these.

http://i.imgur.com/i2Z85jB.gif