Mike Ashley

Christmas Tree

:lol: I love it.  I'm sorry but if you don't come up with a decent source but your own day-dreams that's fucking hilarious.

John Hall = football visionary who can look at the world of football and identify the best possible football manager for NUFC.  Unfortunately he kept getting overruled. :lol:

:lol: I love it.  I'm sorry but if you don't come up with a decent source but your own day-dreams that's f***ing hilarious.

John Hall = football visionary who can look at the world of football and identify the best possible football manager for NUFC.  Unfortunately he kept getting overruled. :lol:

John Hall did want Sir Bobby but Bobby was under contract at Barcelona.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sport/football/news/432906.stm

Robson, who currently works for the Football Association's technical department in an advisory capacity, said: "I have had no contact with Newcastle since the day I told them I could not break my contract with Barcelona when they tried to persuade me to manage the club after Kevin Keegan had left.

"I was compelled to do that because I had a two-year contract in Spain at the time and was only in the first year. I had to honour that contract.

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/sir-john-hall-joins-martinez-2202166

KEVIN KEEGAN, Kenny Dalglish, Ruud Gullit, Bobby Robson, Graeme Souness, Glenn Roeder, Sam Allardyce....Roberto Martinez?

Luton Town 1-3 Swansea City

KEVIN KEEGAN, Kenny Dalglish, Ruud Gullit, Bobby Robson, Graeme Souness, Glenn Roeder, Sam Allardyce....Roberto Martinez? Surely not.

If anyone thought the Spaniard’s work at Swansea City was going largely unnoticed in national circles, Sir John Hall’s comments linking him to the vacant Newcastle job should make them think again.

Hall, the man responsible for revitalising Newcastle when he took Keegan back to Geordieland in the early 1990s, is still the club’s life president.

And, as the Toon Army await the appointment of yet another manager, it seems Martinez’s stylish brand of football has caught the eye on Tyneside.

“Do you go for a big name, like the (Guus) Hiddinks, or do you try and find someone who can give us the football we had under Keegan,” Hall said yesterday.

“There’s the Swansea manager, Martinez, who seems to be turning them around.”

What do you think about that then 'polic? Maybe he was just lucky?

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/sir-john-hall-joins-martinez-2202166

KEVIN KEEGAN, Kenny Dalglish, Ruud Gullit, Bobby Robson, Graeme Souness, Glenn Roeder, Sam Allardyce....Roberto Martinez?

KEVIN KEEGAN, Kenny Dalglish, Ruud Gullit, Bobby Robson, Graeme Souness, Glenn Roeder, Sam Allardyce....Roberto Martinez? Surely not.

If anyone thought the Spaniard’s work at Swansea City was going largely unnoticed in national circles, Sir John Hall’s comments linking him to the vacant Newcastle job should make them think again.

Hall, the man responsible for revitalising Newcastle when he took Keegan back to Geordieland in the early 1990s, is still the club’s life president.

And, as the Toon Army await the appointment of yet another manager, it seems Martinez’s stylish brand of football has caught the eye on Tyneside.

“Do you go for a big name, like the (Guus) Hiddinks, or do you try and find someone who can give us the football we had under Keegan,” Hall said yesterday.

:lol: January 2008, after Hall and Shepherd had sold the club.  Right.

Some absolute drivel been posted in the last 4 or 5 five pages like. One of the men responsible for taking the club from being penniless & on the brink of the 3rd division to being a regular competitor in Europe & one of the richest clubs in the world was disastrous for the club apparently. :lol: Don't tell me that "it was all because of Hall" either. Maybe he was a better chairman then Shepherd - I don't know the ins & outs of who did what exactly to compare the two - but he certainly had an easier job to do while the club was riding on the coattails of Keegan's success than Shepherd had to do trying to maintain the momentum of the club without the footballing results to back it up.

Even after 7 years of Ashley some people must still think that stadiums expand themselves for free, and advertisers, sponsors & supporters from around the world come begging to throw their money at the club just because its Newcastle United. The owner & chairman just sit back and watch all the cash flow in, only lifting a finger to make bad decisions & throw an occasional spanner in the works for the hell of it.

No-one has ever said Shepherd always made good decisions, but in the main they were always made with the intention of being for the good of the club (and thereby good for himself & the Halls of course). Even possibly his worst decision - bringing in Souness - was done in the context of most supporters seeing some of the players taking the piss out of Robson & the club, and wanting a more disciplinarian line to be taken.

The pick of the bunch for me though is the idea that appointing a manager who had won the league 4 times in the previous 10 years with 2 different clubs, one of which had been in the Championship when he took over, was a "terrible managerial appointment". It didn't work out, shit happens, but I think you'd have had to search for quite a while to find a supporter who wasn't very happy with the appointment at the time. Hindsight's great though isn't it.

Hindsight's great for supporters, but if you own a football club then you don't want to be relying on hindsight to learn about your mistakes. Hall wanted Robson and Shepherd and Hall Jr. wanted Dalglish. John Hall was also talking up Martinez when he was relatively unknown at Swansea in League One. Shepherd went for Allardyce instead. Shepherd then also went on to hire Graeme Boumsong Souness and Michael £17m Owen during that era. Fuck knows what was going on there but it's difficult to avoid the suspicion that money was getting trousered by someone away from the camera. Other than that though, I will agree that Shepherd was at least answerable to the Newcastle fans and if someone was skimming off the top at least we still were allowed to dream.  But like you say, hindsight's a wonderful thing.

You say hindsight is a wonderful thing to use for supporters, yet you're just as guilty using it in your own post when using it to prove your own point. I dare say most people thought getting Michael Owen in his supposed prime, snatching him in front of Liverpool, was a great buy. It's only in hindsight you can say Owen was a piece of shit and we wasted so much fucking money.

Yes hindsight is fine for supporters that's why it's ok for me to use it, I'm a supporter. If I was the owner of a football club though I wouldn't want to be relying on hindsight.

:lol: I love it.  I'm sorry but if you don't come up with a decent source but your own day-dreams that's f***ing hilarious.

John Hall did want Sir Bobby but Bobby was under contract at Barcelona.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sport/football/news/432906.stm

Robson, who currently works for the Football Association's technical department in an advisory capacity, said: "I have had no contact with Newcastle since the day I told them I could not break my contract with Barcelona when they tried to persuade me to manage the club after Kevin Keegan had left.

"I was compelled to do that because I had a two-year contract in Spain at the time and was only in the first year. I had to honour that contract.

Well exactly tbh, we showed an interest in Bobby Robson at times when he wasn't available.  Nobody ever actually chose Dalglish over Robson.

Hall was still the club's life President at the time.

:mackems:

One of the funniest posts I've ever read on here.

I think I might have kept that one to myself.  :lol:

What for? It just shows that labels don't mean that much in the greater scheme of things but if you are willing to sell out then Geordies have their price like everyone else. Otherwise Hall and Shepherd would still own the club.

Putting aside the money argument which is desperate stuff. The idea that Shepherd was at least ambitious and exciting just doesn't hold water. The club was dying on its arse with Souness, Roeder and Allardyce his choices after 'shooting bambi', and an increasingly dour bunch of players on the pitch. Fucking delighted he took his wedge and left. Just as with Pardew, whether the grass is greener or not, it gets to a point where a change was needed.

What for? It just shows that labels don't mean that much in the greater scheme of things but if you are willing to sell out then Geordies have their price like everyone else. Otherwise Hall and Shepherd would still own the club.

:lol: Mannnnn.

And that's got what to do with Martinez? :lol:

And that's got what to do with Martinez? :lol:

John Hall thought he was a good manager in 2008 :lol:  Everton hired him as a manager 5 years later and are doing ok :lol:  I bet they wish they'd hired Dalglish instead :lol: :lol:

You see I'm now going to say that ti despise those signs an Ashley, but to say they're worse than neatly going bankrupt?? C'mon. Now some people with tiny minds will read that as me sticking up for Ashley.

Worse than going bankrupt? You just can't help yourself can you? :lol:

I'll indulge you then.

What would you call the financial statements of the club back then? Far from financially solvent?

We were just about fucked, please explain how that isn't true or just keep posting smiley faces.

You've fallen hook, line and sinker for Lambiass' and Ashley's rethoric Thomson Mouse. The club debt has doubled since Ashley took over, whilst commercial and matchday revenue has dropped significantly. We're certainly not better off financially, the only saving grace is Ashley has the capital to shoulder the debt. Who knows what might have happened if Hall and Shepherd had not sold. Pouring money into the club when Souness was manager had obviously not worked iut in hindsight. I like to think Shepherd was aware of this, hence the appointment of a manager capable of working on a tight budget (Allardyce). If things hadn't worked out we might have been taken over by another owner capable and willing to grow the club. To say we would have gone under without a doubt is just make belief.

Guest bimpy474

All of these people who reckon we'd have done a Portsmouth without Ashley are talking Shite. Does no one think that at some point we wouldn't have been sold to someone else?

Shhh stop talking common sense.