Mike Ashley

Christmas Tree

Was talking to one of my work colleagues today who is generally an intelligent guy who's a season ticket holder. We naturally got talking about the state of the club and I said I stopped going a while a go and wouldn't return until Ashley has gone. Big mistake, he then starts to fire out phrases such as:

"I was there before Ashley was, and I'll be there after".

And

"If you can't stick it through the shit, you don't deserve to be there when it's good".

We really are doomed.

Was talking to one of my work colleagues today who is generally an intelligent guy who's a season ticket holder. We naturally got talking about the state of the club and I said I stopped going a while a go and wouldn't return until Ashley has gone. Big mistake, he then starts to fire out phrases such as:

"I was there before Ashley was, and I'll be there after".

And

"If you can't stick it through the shit, you don't deserve to be there when it's good".

We really are doomed.

People seem to think they are spiting him somehow by saying that and that 2nd one is just bollocks. It could easy be said 'If you know its willingly shit and you still think its okay to keep paying for it; then you've no right to complain.' Stubborn, ignorant tits. I know its because of an innate love of the club and the best intentions but its so foolhardy.

From today's Shields Gazette;

lso - old hairy hands himself, Richard Keys says that supporters should boycott as Mike Ashley is 'taking the micky andkilling the club'

http://www.shieldsgazette.com/sport/newcastle-united/latest-nufc-news/richard-keys-mike-ashley-is-taking-mickey-out-of-newcastle-fans-they-must-boycott-1-7600664

Richard Keys: Mike Ashley is taking mickey out of Newcastle fans - they must boycott

Ross Gregory

12:32Tuesday 01 December 2015

Newcastle United fans have been urged to boycott the club until Mike Ashley leaves - as he’s ‘taking the mickey’ out of them.

That’s the view of TV presenter Richard Keys, who says Toon owner Ashley is ‘killing’ the club.

Writing in his blog, former Sky Sports anchor man Keys - now working for Bein Sports - says Ashley has been a disaster for the Magpies, and it is now time for fans to act.

“Ashley and his acolytes are killing the club,” he wrote. “It’s dying. It’s desperate.

“Newcastle don’t have the debt problem they once did, but other than clearing that - and now earning good money out of the club - Ashley’s ownership has been a disaster, right up to the present day.

“At Palace at the weekend the Toon Army were signing ‘we’re s**t and we’re sick of it’. These are good people. They follow their team no matter what. They complain about Ashley but still go.

“My advice? Don’t go guys. Don’t go anymore. It’s short term pain for long term gain. I know it’s likely to be tough, but don’t go.

“It’s the only way let let Ashley know he’s not wanted. He’s taking the mickey out of you - playing with your blind loyalty.

“Stay loyal to your team, but let him know enough is enough.

“My message to Mike Ashley is this - go. Go now while there’s just enough life in the corpse for someone else to try and revive it. Get out of Toon. Now.”

Keys also claims he had a conversation with Ashley about appointing Alan Shearer as manager, and that after the Newcastle legend failed to save the club from relegation, Ashley didn’t want to make Shearer permanent boss as he was ‘too big a personality’.

“He wanted him out of the club,” added Keys. “Alan was too big a personality for Ashley to deal with. His popularity was always going to be an issue.”

Keys also claims that Michael Owen ‘badly let down’ Shearer in the season Newcastle were relegated.

It's actually a pretty good blog article:

As I was watching the latest  abject performance from Newcastle - that 5-1 hammering at Palace - my mind wondered back to that infamous tv interview with Mike Ashley on the last day of last season.

He told David Craig 'I won't leave Newcastle until we've won something'.

If Ashley means what he said I don't see a future for the once proud Toon. Ashley and his acolytes are killing the club. It's dying. It's desperate.

Newcastle is a wonderful football club. My earliest memories were watching them at Coventry. I was sitting in the West Stand as the late Terry Hibbert cracked in a wonder goal. They left with the points - we were left in the same kind of mess they're in now!

They took 'one of our own', John Tudor, to form a front line partnership with the raging Super Mac so I took more than a passing interest in the club as I followed Tudor's progress.

There was the Fairs Cup win - ignominy at Hereford - Keegan's cup final when Liverpool tore them apart - Shankly taunting Joe Harvey on Grandstand before the game - Keegan eventually signing for them - there was always something coming out of that part of the world that even the neutrals would find interesting. 

Of course Keegan gave us 'The Entertainers' when he went back to manage them. What a ride that was. Fantastic.

The Second Coming was a disaster, but only because Ashley & Co were in charge by then.

I remember flying home with Ashley and his hangers-on after one Saturday morning game at St James'.  As we drove to the airport the conversation was all about Shearer. He wanted my thoughts on whether Shearer could manage the club. I told him it didn't matter what I thought, only what he thought. That seemed to please him. The conversation ended with him saying 'I suppose I'm going to have to give them Shearer at some point'. 

His 'go-fer' back then was a guy called Chris Mort. Almost as soon we'd landed at Luton Mort was on the phone. 'I'd appreciate it if you forgot what Mike said to you about Shearer. He didn't mean it'. Ok, no problem. But he did mean it, Shearer eventually succeeded Joe Kinnear's circus, was badly let down by Michael Owen, and had no time to stop the rot. Newcastle were relegated.

A lot happened over the following summer and it's not my position to talk about it here. I'm sure Alan will tell his side of the story in his own good time, but as he and I spoke during that summer it was pretty evident from what Alan was saying that Ashley felt he'd delivered Shearer to the faithful - and that was the end of it. No more. He wanted him out of the club. Alan was too big a personality for Ashley to deal with. His popularity was always going to be an issue.

Newcastle don't have the debt problem they once did, but other than clearing that - and now earning good money out of the club, Ashley's ownership has been a disaster, right up to the present day.

At Palace at the weekend the Toon Army were signing 'we're s**t and we're sick of it'. These are good people. They follow their team no matter what. They complain about Ashley but still go. My advice? Don't go guys. Don't go anymore. It's short term pain for long term gain. I know it's likely to be tough, but don't go. It's the only way let let Ashley know he's not wanted. He's taking the mickey out of you - playing with your blind loyalty.

Stay loyal to your team, but let him know enough is enough. My message to Mike Ashley is this - go. Go now while there's just enough life in the corpse for someone else to try and revive it. Get out of Toon. Now.

The missing link is right.

Wish people would just wake the fuck up and do what is best for the club and not go. Ashley is, and always has been about money.

But what else are people supposed to do on a Saturday afternoon?!

We can sack managers.  Scouts. MD's. But this is the real problem st the club. I've thought 'if he sacks Charnley and co. things might improve' but then you look at his record. He's failed multiple times, reappointed with the same gutless strategy. It's all futile.

I believe some think we'll be okay if we sack McClaren or Charnley or whoever. We won't be Newcastle United until he sells.