Mike Ashley

Christmas Tree

He's a proper chancer like. Doesn't have anything like the diction and eloquence you'd expect of someone with so much responsibility and money earned through business.

Spot on.  It's like listening to someone down the pub, who owns a one man and his dog, painting and decorating firm.  No offence meant to painters!!

Listening to this chancer,it's becoming much clearer why Pardew was here so long.  Two peas in a pod.

And the stupid long contracts.

Sorry if its been mentioned already, but what is the aim of this session?

Can Parliament do anything to force him to change the working practices? Or is this just to try and shame him into doing it, by making him discuss it publicly?

I heard stuff on radio this morning where he is promising to do stuff for the staff, clearly just trying to look pro-active before this meeting.

Guest chopey

110 ambulances to Shirebrook in a 3 year period  :o :kasper:

2000 people work there is that excessive ?

He just keeps saying "I think so.  I hope it has been done."  Is he the owner of SD or not?!  Fuck me.  He is awful.

It's exactly the same as when he gave that interview last season saying it was all his responsibility then this season claimed he just lets others run the club. He's got no concept of his own responsibility, seems to believe he can just take the money and let everyone around him deal with the problems.

I fucking hate the guy, but having sadly squandered several hours watching select committee 'performances', this is actually one of the better ones. His stupidity can easily be mistaken for honesty and the committee are going easy on him because he is admitting a degree of liability. Normally you get people desperately trying to avoid the question and change the angle to put out their agenda, which results in those questioning being far harsher.

All that said, I've only watched the last 20 minutes or so, may have been a car crash before that.

He's a shy and anti-social guy for sure. I remember when I 'confronted' him, LL Cool D and Bishop outside of a pub in Soho. He simply nodded, kept on looking down, avoiding eye contact and stuff. In fact he looked so intimidated and uncomfortable that I genuinely felt bad for approaching him. Llambias and Bishop on the other hand are much more accomplished verbal bullshitters. Llambias basically made me thank them for all the positive things they've done for the club :lol:

Those MP hearings are a bit of a farce though. "What would you do Chris?" :lol:

Well he seemed to think so and so did the committee.

Seems like a reasonably poor HSE record.

Roughly 3 ambulances called out per month does seem a bit high, to me?  But I don't work in health and safety and I don't know what other companies are like in comparison.

Sorry if its been mentioned already, but what is the aim of this session?

Can Parliament do anything to force him to change the working practices? Or is this just to try and shame him into doing it, by making him discuss it publicly?

I heard stuff on radio this morning where he is promising to do stuff for the staff, clearly just trying to look pro-active before this meeting.

http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/news/north-east-news/mike-ashley-house-commons-live-11434154

What happens afterwards?

The MPs will eventually write a report with their conclusions about Sports Direct’s treatment of its staff. Even if they ask tough questions, it doesn’t mean their report will necessarily criticise Mr Ashley or Sports Direct.

They are likely to consider whether laws protecting workers need to be changed, or are currently being enforced properly.

The Government will then publish its official response to the Committee’s report. This process could take weeks or months,

Before writing the report, it’s possible that the MPs could decide they want to hear more evidence - and this could mean accepting Mr Ashley’s offer to show them round the Shirebrook warehouse.

I work in a factory that employs roughly 1100 people. I've been there over 12 years and there's been ambulances called less than ten times.