Mike Ashley

Christmas Tree

It's not even a case of SPEND LOADS OF MONEY NOW YA TIGHT b******! It's more simply 'be sensible, back the manager, don't lie'.

What do you class as sensible spending for this summer ?

However much Rafa thinks he needs to spend in order to achieve whatever he wants to achieve next season, give or take a few million either way. There isn't a specific number.

I don't really like the whole "oh, we need to spend X amount," because that isn't how it works. I've argued before that I don't think we need to spend absolutely gazillions in order to create a side that will stay up. We need a minimum of four significant upgrades in defense, midfield and attack to ensure we've got a team capable of surviving, imo. Fuck knows how much they're gonna cost; it'll be whatever the selling clubs are prepared to sell for.

Only one problem with that logic - you are assuming that Rafa will be happy just to survive in the premier next season. I doubt it. He's not daft, he'll know we are a couple of years away from having a team he can be proud to call his, but he's going to want a first team that can at least compete with the big boys. Mid table will probably be a realistic ambition for next season but he'll be wanting to hit the European spots by the season after IMO.

Nah I'm not. My second point about 'what I think we need to survive' is a separate one to what I said in the initial paragraph.

I don't know what Rafa's target is for next season; but he's pragmatic enough to know that, despite his ambition, qualifying for Europe is probably unlikely (though far from impossible...)

My overall point is that I think it's unrealistic to say "we absolutely must spend THIS, or he's been shafted!" The first order of business is to invest to the point where we've got a squad good enough to survive. Anything beyond that - Rafa, the board and selling clubs will have to 'have out'. I'm optimistic we'll get what we need to see him stay and continue building.

On a separate note; some interesting comments from Wheez Keez about a potential takeover. Aye she's a Mackems but she's constantly around NUFC as well. Would love to hear Caulkin's take on it, like.

Rafa exhausting his extensive network of contacts to land the players he wants Vs The board (under Ashley) propensity to penny pinch (to secure the perfect deal), and deliberately underbid for top targets (as revealed by Keegan).

Now the real fun & games begin. Rafa's vision Vs well, Ashley's Sports Direct United's business model.

Guest chicken little

anyone have an idea at all what the dread louise taylor is banging on about here?

https://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2017/apr/25/newcastle-premier-league-mike-ashley-rafael-benitez

Will the club be sold in the coming weeks?

Watch this space. It is quite possible that nothing will happen and Newcastle simply continue under Mike Ashley’s ownership but senior club sources acknowledge that there has been discreet interest from assorted parties in recent months. If – and it is only an if – a takeover does happen, expect it to be as sudden and unexpected as Manchester City’s switch to Emirati control.

Possible buyers? Well, the state of Qatar is reportedly weighing up purchasing a Premier League club and rumours of Chinese interest refuse to disappear.

first i've heard of it, tho i've hardly been looking quite hard.

anyone have an idea at all what the dread louise taylor is banging on about here?

https://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2017/apr/25/newcastle-premier-league-mike-ashley-rafael-benitez

Will the club be sold in the coming weeks?

Watch this space. It is quite possible that nothing will happen and Newcastle simply continue under Mike Ashley’s ownership but senior club sources acknowledge that there has been discreet interest from assorted parties in recent months. If – and it is only an if – a takeover does happen, expect it to be as sudden and unexpected as Manchester City’s switch to Emirati control.

Possible buyers? Well, the state of Qatar is reportedly weighing up purchasing a Premier League club and rumours of Chinese interest refuse to disappear.

first i've heard of it, tho i've hardly been looking quite hard.

somebody was talking about it on facebook last night- they claimed a deal had been done when Benitez signed and is only proceeding now- I assume cos we are promoted- I call it bullshit tbh.

Only Ashley could agree to sell the club and then alow Carr, Charnley and McLaren to relegate it.  :lol: :lol:

I'll wait fir solid evidence that NUFC are up fir sale before getting interested too much.

Sell up you f***ing fat mess!

We're dreaming he will sell. The club is his own personal ATM, and an outlet for his crappy merchandise, and billboard for the same.

The club was the perfect purchase for him at the perfect time.

Guest chopey

ftom caulkin earlier on today:

"Weird. No contact from Ashley to Benitez to congratulate on promotion or reassure after Charnley arrest. #Nufc "

f*** sake our club is so embarrassing.

I think its more Ashley thats the embarrasment.

• 2 weeks later...