Would you change anything?

relámpago blanco
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Looking at the squad now and how fresh and exciting it looks, would you change anything in terms of personnel change since Ashley took over.  We all kinda hate him and slate him for everything that has happened but really would you change anything.

You have to bear in mind some not leaving who have left may have meant others not coming in etc.

I don't regret Nolan leaving, he was liability really. Scored goals and supposedly good in team moral but he lost possession so much, which made it hard for us to  score. No wonder it was long ball tactics. Carroll doesn't seem to be doing to well at Liverpool, so no great loss there then.  Enrique is the only one regret. 

Mort was apparently complicit in the Keegan affair, so appearances can be deceiving. He was also lucky to be here at a time when there was generally a real high following the ousting of the disliked previous regime. Ultimately though he was more involved with the financial appraisal side.

I'd like someone professional operating our day to day business who knows a thing about football rather than simply being a friend of the owner.

I don't regret Nolan leaving, he was liability really. Scored goals and supposedly good in team moral but he lost possession so much, which made it hard for us to  score. No wonder it was long ball tactics. Carroll doesn't seem to be doing to well at Liverpool, so no great loss there then.  Enrique is the only one regret. 

:nods:

Mort was apparently complicit in the Keegan affair, so appearances can be deceiving. He was also lucky to be here at a time when there was generally a real high following the ousting of the disliked previous regime. Ultimately though he was more involved with the financial appraisal side.

I'd like someone professional operating our day to day business who knows a thing about football rather than simply being a friend of the owner.

I saw Mort at a couple of games with his family in the away end when we were in the Championship.  I was surprised to see him there when he no longer had any ties with the club.  I wonder if he is still attending the odd game these days.

:thup:

Barry Moat? :lol:

Oh and it goes without saying that I still wouldn't have sold Carroll either, even if he is yet to find form at Liverpool. Yes the money they paid looks steep on reflection, but I simply don't believe we needed it to make the signings we have since then anyway. Nor do I believe we're playing (or are going to play) a style of football that would stop him scoring goals.

I don't mean to start up that debate again btw.

Guest johnson293

Agreed - but he had left by the time the Sh1t hit the fan, and Keegan walked.

I still think the aftermath, and a lot of subsequent incidents would have been handled a lot better with Mort as Chairman, than they were/have been by Dekka.

People are getting a bit carried away like, as good a start as we have had. It's nice to see a bit of optimism following the excessive amount of negativity around the place following the transfer window but it's very early days. We have no idea how Santon is going do, Gosling has it all to prove, Obertan has looked far from great while, below Ba and Best we have little depth in terms of quality in the striking department. I'm loving the start we've made and will fully enjoy it while it lasts but to say I wouldn't chage any of our personnel for people associated with the club in the past is a bit far.

I wouldn't change a thing tbh.

I used to call for David Dein type appointment a year or two back but business relationships are strange things, especially when you have a hands on owner like Mike Ashley. David Dein would fit in great probably with an Ellis Short type owner, but not in our set up.

Not to say I like Llambias but he obviously suits Ashley.

It now seems a very happy camp from the top to the bottom and that is worth its weight in gold.

The only cloud on the Horizon seems to be Ashley's enthusiasm which was touched on by Llambias / Pardew in the recent statement and his absence from the games (not sure if he was there on Saturday).

Hopefully he stays interested.

People are getting a bit carried away like, as good a start as we have had. It's nice to see a bit of optimism following the excessive amount of negativity around the place following the transfer window but it's very early days. We have no idea how Santon is going do, Gosling has it all to prove, Obertan has looked far from great while, below Ba and Best we have little depth in terms of quality in the striking department. I'm loving the start we've made and will fully enjoy it while it lasts but to say I wouldn't chage any of our personnel for people associated with the club in the past is a bit far.

Is the correct answer adding that to get Santon we sold arguably our best player of recent seasons.

We didnt need to bin Barton either. I'd have kept him, especially given as we didn't replace him.

Unsure what you're getting at but we're a centre back and striker short. It will almost certainly come back to bite us later in the season.

I'm not sure about the centre half point, full backs concern me more.

We have 3 good CH's in Colo,Taylor and Williamson. Not many clubs can afford more than that on the payroll and like us would have to make do with a lesser standard 4th choice or a player out of position in the unlikely event of 2 being out.

I would love for us to still have Enrique, he's the one player who I think will be hard to replace. Yes we have bought what looks like a class replacement, but there are still question marks until he's had a good run of games behind him. Other than that, this is exactly the type of football team I've always wanted us to try and put together, based on passing and movement rather than the lump it hump it style we were sort of stuck with while Nolan was our captain.

It's early days and we still need to tweak a few areas but the squad is looking healthy for the most part.