Wolves 1 - 2 Newcastle United - 01/10/11 - post-match reaction from page 46

Disco

Guest Pedro_de_geordieo

27 here in Liverpool but most of our team are from warm climates so I can't see that. rather they also were deflated at seeing the subs come on.

IMHO I think he is keeping the better players for spuds next week

What an utterly terrible 2nd half performance. Was screaming at my laptop in anger, all down to Pardew, pathetic substitutions and tried to play on the break when we should have been going for the killer 3rd goal. All that quality on the bench and he brings on Guthrie and Lovenkrands ffs. Only thing I can think of is that he wants to save the likes of Ben Arfa and Marveaux for Spurs.

Not really wanting to defend it too much, but at Wolves when they're on the front foot there is an argument for preferring lads with experience in the English league. It certainly wasn't a game at that point to bring on HBA.

Yup.

Bringing on Ben Arfa and Marveaux was not going to make us keep the ball straight away, Wolves were going to be pushing us hard and looking for a goal.

It's a matter of thinking positive. There were three or four occasions in the last quarter where we had the ball in the final third, with plenty of time and space. Situations made for Ben Arfa.

I can understand not wanting to bring on a lightweight but skilful player if you're closing the opposition down effectively and looking secure. But they were just knocking it around and had plenty of time to put crosses in. It's a miracle that only one went in.

Well, Krul played a part as well. That's the best I've seen him play.

The only subs we've really been bringing on the last few games are Marveaux, Sammy and Ben Arfa, not sure why he's changed tack this game.

Because those 3 offer absolutely bot all on the defensive side of things.

I disagree, we were clearly inviting pressure on ourselves that half and they'd have at least meant we had more of the ball.  Lovenkrands on is daft, he's better off bringing any of those 3 on and Cabaye couldn't have managed another 8 minutes?  He's the best passer on the pitch, you keep him on unless he's really struggling imo.  It's the Lovenkrands one that's really strange though, Marveaux or Ben Arfa gives us more pace and possession whereas Lovenkrands is now just a poacher who will pop up with the odd goal.

Cabaye looked absolutely spent tbf, no problem with him bringing Guthrie on we didn't have anyone else to bring on. Bringing on another attacker when you're under the cosh would've been mental.

I'd not have brought Lovenkrands on like, I'd have brought on Marveaux and put him in the hole.

Fair enough.  What the fuck is going on with Gosling by the way, it's getting ridiculous.

Anyway, great result - disappointing that we made a mountain out of a molehill 2nd half but that's the first time we've won at Wolves in over 50 years and we're 3rd in the league.  Hope Pardew's learning from his errors while we're getting the rub of the green, he's going to really need that experience later on.

3rd mate, 3rd. Getting a bit big for your boots there. Let's wrap up this CL place before we think about the title. O0

Eh, I edited it almost immediately. :lol: I'd be happy with 3rd at the end of the season tbh, I'm not greedy.

considering how exposed Raylor was against the likes of Jarvis I don't want to see him demolished by spurs.  Hoping Santon is ready.

Made a goalsaving block at one point tbf after kruls deflected save. He is an active part of us not conceding much, as much as people dont like it. Santon might still improve us further ofcourse !

Krul 9 - Unbelievable

Simpson 6 - Decent

S.Taylor 7- Solid enough, didn't think the so called 'stonewall' penalty was a pen tbh.

Coloccini 8 - Coped well with the onslaught in 2nd half.

R.Taylor 5 - Struggled, sorry but its time for Santon.

Obertan 4 - Awful

Cabaye 7.5 - Assured and committed in midfield, great corner for the opener.

Tiote 6.5 - Battled well.

Jonas 7 - Absolutely cracking goal, not really allowed to get forward in the 2nd half as was constantly having to defend.

Ba 7 - Well taken goal, should have had more.

Best 7 - Does wonderfully well at holding up the ball and creating space for other players to run in. Has a decent cross on him as well.

Lovenkrands 0 - Why why why fucking Delilah why?

Guthrie - Could see the sense in it, until I realised it was Cabaye coming off.

considering how exposed Raylor was against the likes of Jarvis I don't want to see him demolished by spurs.  Hoping Santon is ready.

He wasn't exposed at all. Time and time again Jonas was getting back and putting in tackles and interceptions.

Simpson on the other hand was left exposed a fair bit.

What the f*** is going on with Gosling by the way, it's getting ridiculous.

When he's played in the Carling Cup he hasn't been very good at all. He's done well in two reserve games though. He's been out for more than a year to be fair.

Aye, he was poor at Forest but we thought he'd be absent for about 6 months when we signed him, it's now been around 15.

He was playing plenty of football pre-season like, seems like he's had a few setbacks in his time with us.

Guest mimifrench

Well, the other premier league teams are going/have to take you seriously now...

But can someone explain me why Marveaux isn't actually playing in your team ?

I think Pardew saw no reason to change the team from last week, seeing as we played very well. Judging by today's performance you would think Marveaux would be starting against Spurs.

Ok, i see your point, but Marveaux is better than Obertan, no ?

I think he should replace him next match

Well, the other premier league teams are going/have to take you seriously now...

I think Pardew saw no reason to change the team from last week, seeing as we played very well. Judging by today's performance you would think Marveaux would be starting against Spurs.

Agreed.

I agree he should play next week in place of Obertan. Pardew sees Obertans pace as a big outlet for us though, especialy on the counter, which is why he is starting.

What an utterly terrible 2nd half performance. Was screaming at my laptop in anger, all down to Pardew, pathetic substitutions and tried to play on the break when we should have been going for the killer 3rd goal. All that quality on the bench and he brings on Guthrie and Lovenkrands ffs. Only thing I can think of is that he wants to save the likes of Ben Arfa and Marveaux for Spurs.

Not really wanting to defend it too much, but at Wolves when they're on the front foot there is an argument for preferring lads with experience in the English league. It certainly wasn't a game at that point to bring on HBA.

Yup.

Bringing on Ben Arfa and Marveaux was not going to make us keep the ball straight away, Wolves were going to be pushing us hard and looking for a goal.

It's a matter of thinking positive. There were three or four occasions in the last quarter where we had the ball in the final third, with plenty of time and space. Situations made for Ben Arfa.

I can understand not wanting to bring on a lightweight but skilful player if you're closing the opposition down effectively and looking secure. But they were just knocking it around and had plenty of time to put crosses in. It's a miracle that only one went in.

Well, Krul played a part as well. That's the best I've seen him play.

:thup: :thup:

Language? Too lightweight? All irrelevant, when you are 2-0 up you go for the killer third. If you choose to protect and play on the counter you bring on an extra man in midfield.

It's a bit harsh to blame Pardew for negative tactics in the second half. I can remember goal scoring chances for Ba, Best and Obertan in the second half. It's hardly Pardew's fault they missed them.

Newcastle manager Alan Pardew after his side hung on to beat Wolves at Molineux: "We were lucky today. Wolves were very, very good and they weren't going to give in."

Krul - 9 - Sensational performance, though Wolves were a bit too dominant from crosses for my liking and tbh scored two good goals.

Simpson - 3 - An abject performance. Basically a con man who hides from the ball, back-offs, blames others, and fucks up attacks. Was dominated 9 times out of 10 by Jarvis, failed to put a foot in and acted like a drunk when on the ball. Gets points for one or two last ditch blocks. Out for Santon hopefully.

Raylor - 7 - One of his better performances. Contrast wolves' crosses from the right compared to his side.

Saylor - 6 - Very busy, perhaps too busy, trying to do too much. Some brilliant tackles and blocks. Should've had a pen given against him though.

Coloccini - 7 - Really great 99% of the time, but dwelling on the ball too much on one occasion.

Obertan - 4.5 - Some good counter attacking in the first 40 or so minutes, and linked up well with the strikers. Still, his decent first half was marred by erratic choices and poor end product. Seriously turd after half-time, didnt lift his head up and played within himself. Looked knackered and had next to no involvement in the last 25 minutes. Cannot believe he stayed on so long.

Cabaye - 6 - Some excellent one and two touch passing in the first half, great engine and tough tackling as well. Looked shattered in the last 20 mins.

Tiote - 6.5 - Again, looked fantastic and ultra sharp in the opening 25 mins, and was pretty good defensively for the rest of the match, but is still far too sloppy and needs to know when to get rid of the ball.

Jonas - 7 - Easily one of our best. Good contribution to help out Raylor, super goal, couple of good dribbles.

Ba - 6.5 - Well taken goal, but was mediocre in the rest of his play. Far too selfish on the ball. Was taken off at the right time.

Best - 6.5 - Really linked well with Ba and the wingers, selfless play without attracting the plaudits. could've got a couple of assists on another day.

Loven - 4?5? - didn't notice him.

Pardew - 7 - Perhaps generous but you can't argue with the end result. set the team out really well and we looked a class above them at first. Once they got back into the match we were able to hold steadfast and break really well on the counter. After half time though it's hard to defend the team. We probably deserved to lose, and would have were it not for Tim Krul, lady luck and crap refereeing, yet come home with all 3 points.

Great win, but we were hanging on in the end. Bizarre choice of subs from Pardew though which very nearly cost us the game - lucky! Still though, it's been a terrific start to the season but there is still plenty of work that lies ahead (particularly in November!) Looking forward to seeing the highlights on Sky tonight. :)

It's a bit harsh to blame Pardew for negative tactics in the second half. I can remember goal scoring chances for Ba, Best and Obertan in the second half. It's hardly Pardew's fault they missed them.

Newcastle manager Alan Pardew after his side hung on to beat Wolves at Molineux: "We were lucky today. Wolves were very, very good and they weren't going to give in."

:thup:

First 70 minutes was a damn good away performance.

Ultimately though you were extremely lucky to win that. Should've been a penalty against S. Taylor, and although I haven't seen a decisive replay, it certainly didn't look like the whole ball was out before Wolves' disallowed goal.

Still, you have to take what you can get and ride your luck. Every result isn't going to directly reflect the relevant performance in that match. Up until the last 10 minutes, I thought your performance was assured and professional, and Wolves were looking fairly desperate. It was a clear case of one side having confidence and one side lacking it.