Wolves 1 - 2 Newcastle United - 01/10/11 - post-match reaction from page 46

Disco

Slightly bevied Liverpool fan here, always had a bit of a soft spot for Newcastle. Great start to the season, what do you think has been the biggest improvmnt? I know a few who were writing Pardew off but it looks looks like he's built a good team spirit.

I think we were written off by quite a few of our own supporters, as well as those outside. The focus all seemed to be on the players we were losing, and not the players who were coming in.

There are a few things that have improved, but the obvious one is we're not conceding many goals. I wouldn't say our back four has looked any more solid than last year, but in Tim Krul we have a young keeper who now has the confidence to go with his talent. If I was to point to any one factor, it would be him.

The fixtures will get harder and the initial momentum will flag, but we actually have some good players waiting to come into the side, so the dip, when it comes, won't be as severe as some pundits are suggesting.

Slightly bevied Liverpool fan here, always had a bit of a soft spot for Newcastle. Great start to the season, what do you think has been the biggest improvmnt? I know a few who were writing Pardew off but it looks looks like he's built a good team spirit.

Big difference in the middle of the park: Cabaye and Tiote partnership = why we have best prem defensive record and they aren't too shabby going forward either!!!!

Up front: we ain't toothless anymore. Ba has turned out to be a very shrewd signing and the size ten up best's behind has worked a treat...

I think we were written off by quite a few of our own supporters, as well as those outside. The focus all seemed to be on the players we were losing, and not the players who were coming in.

There are a few things that have improved, but the obvious one is we're not conceding many goals. I wouldn't say our back four has looked any more solid than last year, but in Tim Krul we have a young keeper who now has the confidence to go with his talent. If I was to point to any one factor, it would be him.

The fixtures will get harder and the initial momentum will flag, but we actually have some good players waiting to come into the side, so the dip, when it comes, won't be as severe as some pundits are suggesting.

Wayne Hennessey is an absolute abortion of a keeper, like. Looks absolutely dreadful every time I see him.

Totally agree with this like. Probably the poorest number 1 in the Premiership.

Wayne Hennessey is an absolute abortion of a keeper, like. Looks absolutely dreadful every time I see him.

Aye, agree with both of yous there.

I agree. He's that bad he's almost a number 2

Was listening on the radio and Mick Lowes and John Anderson didn't give Jonas nearly enough credit for his goal- said he was lucky as he scuffed it

That's odd, they're usually spot on with their assessments. Cabaye too smiliar to Tiote springs to mind.

Simpson letting his man come inside yet again. The lad's f***ing terrible.

Tbf to him he made a brilliant headed clearance to stop a almost certain goal in the second half, didn't show it on MOTD, i thought he got caught too far forward in the second half, needed to see the whole game to notice it but it happened a few times, badly out of position when we were under pressure.

I thought Simpson was our worst player yesterday, was very poor.

Reply #165 on: Thursday 29 September 2011, 08:59:03 AM »

Remove

1-2 win.

Ive predicted the last two scored bang on, so seriously, everyone, put as much cash as you have available on this score line. Nailed on.

Three in a row and not a penny gained. FML.

Well ok some did of course, but generally think he's become central to the team much quicker than could have been asked of him

Fair point. There hasn't been the kind of transition phase that often happens when players move from the Continent. He got stuck in right away.

As some of you will have said, we played alright in the first half. Jonas' goal was something very special and Cabaye's corner just needed a touch from someone really, I'm glad it was Ba.

We were second best in the second half like. Ba should have finished the game off when he had that chance but ah well. Thank fuck for Tim Krul and Wolves' shit finishing.

All in all, a great result.

Whilst we can be dangerous on the counter attack, I think with teams like Stoke and Wolves you have to play a high line so they don't bombard you with crosses and set pieces. As mentioned previously, we sat back second half and if it was a tactical decision I don't think it was quite the right one to make. But we're unbeaten, so who am I to criticise I guess.

First 70 minutes was a damn good away performance.

Ultimately though you were extremely lucky to win that. Should've been a penalty against S. Taylor, and although I haven't seen a decisive replay, it certainly didn't look like the whole ball was out before Wolves' disallowed goal.

Still, you have to take what you can get and ride your luck. Every result isn't going to directly reflect the relevant performance in that match. Up until the last 10 minutes, I thought your performance was assured and professional, and Wolves were looking fairly desperate. It was a clear case of one side having confidence and one side lacking it.

Am I the only person on the planet who doesn't think that should have been a pen?, to me O'Hara dived.

Ultimately though you were extremely lucky to win that. Should've been a penalty against S. Taylor, and although I haven't seen a decisive replay, it certainly didn't look like the whole ball was out before Wolves' disallowed goal.

Still, you have to take what you can get and ride your luck. Every result isn't going to directly reflect the relevant performance in that match. Up until the last 10 minutes, I thought your performance was assured and professional, and Wolves were looking fairly desperate. It was a clear case of one side having confidence and one side lacking it.

Am I the only person on the planet who doesn't think that should have been a pen?, to me O'Hara dived.

Taylor went straight into him and didn't get the ball. It was a foul, hence a penalty.

Taylor went straight into him and didn't get the ball. It was a foul, hence a penalty.

I wouldn't have been surprised if it was given, just didn't think it was a definite pen, I've only seen it during the match though.

EDIT:  Seen it on MOTD, I don't think he trips him, which is what I was looking at during the match.  But something I didn't notice during the match is Taylors arm in O'Hara's face.  Suppose I'd have been pretty pissed off if it was the other way around and not given.