Newcastle United 2 - 2 Tottenham - 16/10/11 - Post-match reaction from page 40

Dave

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

Glad we didn't lose to Spurs. Sick of their media love in. 1 good season overwrites a decade of midtable-7th finishes, and they're suddenly 'One of the Boys'.

Just back from the game, was a good one, think we could've won it. Tiote and Colo are fucking incredible. Demba Ba got his goal and Jonas kept running at them all day, on the down side Obertan was fucking shit, seems like the only player that manages to piss off half of the stadium every game despite us not losing, Cabaye looked a bit slow in the first half and his mistake cost us the first goal, Was glad to see both Santon and Ben Arfa come on, and even though i'm a bit disappointed we didn't win it, were still unbeaten and 4th :D

Man Tiote was a rock today, and his shot wasn't far off. Can people stop saying our midfield only looks good against bad teams already. Most midfields are going to succumb to the Beauty and the Beast (should totally be on the back of their shirts)

Guest kingdawson

Better team?

You played better overall but we created the better openings so a draw is fair.

Good match, KD. :thup:

What did Shola look like to you?

He was immense tbf. Great hold up play, good decision making and of course the finish.

I actually think you lot were very effective in your tactics. It was clear as day Pardew instructed you lot to get at Kyle Walker and Jonas was destroying him at times. Walker's good but he wasn't fit and is still learning the game defensivly but he needs to understand not to keep backing off. For you lot i think he was brilliant (jonas).

Krul  7

Simpson  5

Taylor  7

Coloccini  9

R.Taylor  6

Obertan  4.5

Tiote  8.5

Cabaye  5.5

Jonas  8

Best  5.5

Ba  8

Shola  7

Santon  6

Ben Arfa  6

For me, some slight changes, but aye, pretty much spot on.

Be

Man Tiote was a rock today, and his shot wasn't far off. Can people stop saying our midfield only looks good against bad teams already. Most midfields are going to succumb to the Beauty and the Beast (should totally be on the back of their shirts)

Beauty and the beast that's belting, how come no one has photo shopped that yet? You know the club shop is going to make up t-shirts.

Guest Geordiesned

Played very well 2nd half and particularly last 20 minutes or so.

It was a pen to them first half but the award of it was bizarre. The ref paused, looked across at his linesman who made no indication, then eventually blew up. Even when he whistled I'm convinced he hadn't actually decided at that point if he was going to point to the spot or book Adebayor for diving! He just thought that he had to give something.

Captain Colo MOTM for me. Another immense performance.

Obertan needs dropping and Marveaux brought in. He hasn't got a football brain and looks lost most of the time. Bottled quite a few 50/50s today as well.

Stunning goalkeeping by Krul at the end to deny Defoe. Couple of dodgy kicks but at least he cleared his lines. Nobody has ever scored from row Z.

Ben Arfa looked rusty and was trying too hard to impress instead of playing the simple ball. Nearly cost us when caught in possession which led to Krul's save.

Overall got to be pleased with a point. I couldn't see us getting back into the game at half time.

From start to finish I think we were much the better side and only poor defensive errors lead to their two strikes, the first a blatant penalty from a poor tackle by Taylor and the second goal R.Taylor was turned far too easily by Defoe. Othere than that we were on top for the majority and in the end they were really hanging on.

I thought Tiote, Colo and Jonas were all exceptional. Firstly Tiote, he was everywhere and broke up so much play, he dominated their entire midfield. Parker, Modric and Livermore just couldn't escape him. He is without a doubt the most impressive athlete we have ever had at our club and a tremendous all-rounder. Colo was just immense, he defended superbly and also helped in midfield and attack. He could have grabbed a winner. I was worried about Adebayor's strength, pace and mobility but Colo had him in his pocket all game. One of the best defensive performances I've ever seen at the back for Newcastle.

Jonas gets a lot of stick but that man just keeps going and going, his work-rate unreal and his cross for Demba Ba's goal was not only well worked, beating two men, but also perfectly delivered. Spurs couldn't handle him and given both Bale and Modric were deployed down his side throughout the game, to think he pegged that side back says it all for me.

Steven Taylor let the lads down with his poor tackle but in general he defended superbly and showed a more mature side to his game. The Taylor of old would have tried to make ammends for his poor tackle by playing the hero, but he recovered from his mistake and kept his head, making an absolutely fantastic block.

I thought up front both Ba and Best worked hard and were both mobile and physically strong. They may not be the best of footballers but they cause defenders problems and give us something up front.

I thought Ryan Taylor, his poor defending vs Defoe aside, had a good game too. As did the vast majority of the side. Simpson and Obertan were our weak links and Obertan especially needs replaced. He's a headless chicken and poor on the ball. Although his pace is an outlet.

Cabaye wasn't as instrumental on the ball today but he worked hard, tackled well and did keep the ball moving.

Ben Arfa tried to do too much and was a liability but he'll come good.

Shola? That's him all over, an enigma. What a goal and cameo from the big man.

Special praise to Pardew who could clearly be heard from the touchline constantly encouraging his men and always remaining positive.

As for Spurs, they are a good side, a very good side, probably one of the best 6 in the league, and encouragingly for us, I personally thought we were much better than they were for large spells.

Well done to the lads, manager, staff and indeed the fans who kept with the team.

Have to agree with this assessment 100%.

Listening to some -educated looking - Spurs fans on the train who seem to genuinely believe that Spurs dominated the game. I assume that was not how it came across on TV, bar the opening 15 mins? It certainly wasn't what it felt like being there. Can rarely remember a better atmosphere than for the last 15 mins either. Even the Esat Stand was at it.

Absolutely fantastic game that, particularly the second half. Was end to end and bursting with full-blooded challenges (apart from Obercunt - more on that waster later) and some excellent passing from both sides.

Krul 7 - Good save from Defoe at 1-2, claimed crosses well and did well to get hold of that R.Taylor header that nearly looped over him.

Simpson 5.5 - The usual irritating shit positioning. Thought his passing was a bit better than usual today - I was glad he came off though. Might remind him that he's not actually untouchable.

S.Taylor 6 - I'm not going to go mad over the penalty because that was Cabaye's error imo. He was solid other than that, made one absolutely mint block in the first half.

Coloccini 8 - Gorgeous passing, really drove the team forwards from the back and performed his standard range of class tackles. The last 20 minutes he was sick, just wish he'd buried that late chance.

R.Taylor 6 - done up like the proverbial kipper on the Defoe goal, but otherwise wasn't too bad. His long 'hoofing' was a bit better measured today, and his set pieces gradually improved as the game went on.

Obertan 4 - full of shit. Weak as water, shirked challenges, and on two or three occasions just gave the ball away under nearly no pressure at all. Disgusting from Pardew that this gimp got 90 minutes again ffs. Marveaux please.

Cabaye 6.5 - very bad error that lead to the penalty. I'd be rating him 8 had that not happened because he dictated periods of the game with his passing - those lofted balls for the wide players to run onto are fapworthy.

Tiote 8.5 - Man of the match - nearly scored a pearler in the second half. Strong in the tackle, positioned himself excellently - kept it simple with the passing and even heroically tried to cut a Spurs cunt in half.

Gutierrez 8 - Very impressive assist for the first goal and won the usual array of free kicks. I feel like he's going to create something every time he touches the ball now, seems very confident and long may that last.

Ba 7 - well placed for the goal, hold-up play got better as the game went on. He's a real fret (threat) to the opposition goal at the minute.

Best 7 - excellent hold-up play on the whole, won a lot of headers and posted another energetic display.

Ben Arfa 6 - showed glimpses but also gave the ball away and nearly cost us a goal with that at one stage.

Shola 8 - I pissed and moaned loudly when he came on but he was bloody magnificent with his hold-up play - lovely backheel to Jonas at one point and what. a. strike. for the equaliser.

Santon 6 - glad he's made his debut - slotted in fine without pulling up many trees

Pardew 7 - kept faith with the same team and it largely worked. The Shola sub seemed pointless but it came off for him. He loses points though for starting that useless cunt Obertan and failing to remove him from the field.

Not actually read anything on here or online yet, but for me the penalty looked pretty clear cut, and that handball shout we had at the death could well have been given as well.

Dont normally do this but

Ben Arfa playing behind Shola? Not sure that will work with Shola being so shite like.

NOOOOOOOOO... Not Ameobi FFS!!!

Shola the shiting on the cake.

Why Shola for BA

Ba for Ameobi is a mistake. Ameobi is a mistake

Ameobi lolz

Ba off is bad enough... But for Shola too :lol:

Ameobi for Ba :lol:

Hey, as 'unfair' as it is...might make some people realise how cretinous they are when 'supporting' their team O0

Guest CheickMansour

From start to finish I think we were much the better side and only poor defensive errors lead to their two strikes, the first a blatant penalty from a poor tackle by Taylor and the second goal R.Taylor was turned far too easily by Defoe. Othere than that we were on top for the majority and in the end they were really hanging on.

I thought Tiote, Colo and Jonas were all exceptional. Firstly Tiote, he was everywhere and broke up so much play, he dominated their entire midfield. Parker, Modric and Livermore just couldn't escape him. He is without a doubt the most impressive athlete we have ever had at our club and a tremendous all-rounder. Colo was just immense, he defended superbly and also helped in midfield and attack. He could have grabbed a winner. I was worried about Adebayor's strength, pace and mobility but Colo had him in his pocket all game. One of the best defensive performances I've ever seen at the back for Newcastle.

Jonas gets a lot of stick but that man just keeps going and going, his work-rate unreal and his cross for Demba Ba's goal was not only well worked, beating two men, but also perfectly delivered. Spurs couldn't handle him and given both Bale and Modric were deployed down his side throughout the game, to think he pegged that side back says it all for me.

Steven Taylor let the lads down with his poor tackle but in general he defended superbly and showed a more mature side to his game. The Taylor of old would have tried to make ammends for his poor tackle by playing the hero, but he recovered from his mistake and kept his head, making an absolutely fantastic block.

I thought up front both Ba and Best worked hard and were both mobile and physically strong. They may not be the best of footballers but they cause defenders problems and give us something up front.

I thought Ryan Taylor, his poor defending vs Defoe aside, had a good game too. As did the vast majority of the side. Simpson and Obertan were our weak links and Obertan especially needs replaced. He's a headless chicken and poor on the ball. Although his pace is an outlet.

Cabaye wasn't as instrumental on the ball today but he worked hard, tackled well and did keep the ball moving.

Ben Arfa tried to do too much and was a liability but he'll come good.

Shola? That's him all over, an enigma. What a goal and cameo from the big man.

Special praise to Pardew who could clearly be heard from the touchline constantly encouraging his men and always remaining positive.

As for Spurs, they are a good side, a very good side, probably one of the best 6 in the league, and encouragingly for us, I personally thought we were much better than they were for large spells.

Well done to the lads, manager, staff and indeed the fans who kept with the team.

Great post, agree with every word.

No idea if anyone's said this before - I've been watching Sky - but how come David Ginola's English is better than Dwight Yorke's? He can't do his plurals in the French fashion and his tenses are all to c*ck. Is it a Caribbean ting? I can't understand why he's on there as a pundit at all. :undecided:

Observations:

We're clearly a good team this season

Marveaux deserves a crack at RW,Obertan's still frustrating to watch

The difference between Simpson and Santon was like night and day,there can't be any more excuses for Santon not playing. He was comfortable on the ball,positive,and could pass

Ben Arfa looked very handy,deserves a start against Wigan

Guest firetotheworks

Krul 7

Simpson 5

S Taylor 6.5

Coloccini 9

R Taylor 7

Jonas 8

Cabaye 6.5

Tiote 8

Obertan 4.5

Ba 8

Best 7

Ameobi 8 :lol:

Ben Arfa 6

Santon 7

Think Obertan gets some unfair stick, he's alright, and one day he'll race clear and get a goal, or race clear and be hacked down for a red. Would still think he'd actually work better as an impact sub, coming on against tired legs is a good idea, though then for that I'd prefer Sammy ahead of him anyway...