Newcastle United 2 - 2 Tottenham - 16/10/11 - Post-match reaction from page 40

Dave

A lot of credit should go to pardew, in previous premier league seasons we wudnt have had the heart to come back from behind twice in a game, he realy has got this team working hard and the team spirit was there for all to see for shola's goal  :snod:

anyway ratings

Krul 6.5 no chance with either goal but general good performance

Simpson 5 meh

Saylor 6 stupid for the pen but I'd put more blame on the ball being given away in front of him

Colo 7 overall good but partly responsible for pen conceded

Raylor 7 is he actually a good defender underneath it all? excellent delivery from free kicks too

Obertan 6 Some good some bad

Tiote 7 Rock in midfield

Cabaye 6 not at his best

Jonas 8 torments full backs when he's in this kind of mood

Best 6 held up the ball well but not much else

Ba 7 Good finish

HBA 7 created some openings in attack

Shola 8 Magnificent

Santon 7 Looked good in his cameo

Pardew 7 got his subs right and changed tactics a bit too to help us

also may I say the ref was excellent today

Krul 6 - Didn't do a lot a wrong. A few aimless balls up the park but made some saves that needed to be made so it's hard to be too picky.

Simpson 4 - Woeful for me like. He seems to be getting worse as the season goes on.

Taylor 6 - Awful for the panalty but played alright overall, crucial block in the second half.

Colo 8 - Dreamy, as always.

Taylor 5 - He didn't do a lot wrong but he still looked clueless at times. Unconvincingly did his job.

Obertan 4 - Seriously man is he smoking Pardew? Looks a real poor player, unsure how he's clinging onto his place in the team.

Cabaye 6 - Played well overall but really poor for the goal, his set pieces were hit and miss too.

Tiote 8 - Thought he was immense today.

Jonas 9 - Absolutely brilliant again. Tracked back, looked threatening going forward. Great play for the goal.

Best 6 - I know he didn't look threatening but his hold up play was excellent today.

Ba 7 - same as Best, defended from the front and got his goal. As a pair they look a real handful.

Ben Arfa 5 - Looked a bit off the pace getting caught in possession a couple of times. Seemed to almost try too hard at times.

Shola 8 - Shola at his very best. Great hold up play and superb finish, I slated Pardew for bringing him on but fair play.

Santon 7 - Looked really good to me, comfotable on the ball and goot forward well.

Pardew 7 - Didn't think he put the correct team out but we played really well. His subs saved the game.

Just got out the ground and into a pub, really enjoyed that. Again, kept fighting and didn't let our heads go down. Been Shola's harshest critic but he was great when he came on. Either side could have edged it and you can't say we didn't deserve that result. Crowd was great as well. Obertan was crap. End transmission.

:lol: Someone please explain Sholas performance. Someone that knows how math works. Write it out.

God!

Its "maths" man not "math"  you american cleb end  :lol:

LOL, that annoys the hell out of me with my daughter, I keep having to correct her with it's Maths, it's Schedule not Skedule and it's Tom ar toe not Tom may toe :)

Obertan's surely not going to mantain his position in the first Xl.

He shouldn't do so.

The one moment when he got his shot wide, Simpson was on the right. Could have been a goal as we had bodies in the middle and Simpson would have had an easy cross to play.

Guest Howaythetoon

From start to finish I think we were much the better side and only poor defensive errors lead to their two strikes, the first a blatant penalty from a poor tackle by Taylor and the second goal R.Taylor was turned far too easily by Defoe. Othere than that we were on top for the majority and in the end they were really hanging on.

I thought Tiote, Colo and Jonas were all exceptional. Firstly Tiote, he was everywhere and broke up so much play, he dominated their entire midfield. Parker, Modric and Livermore just couldn't escape him. He is without a doubt the most impressive athlete we have ever had at our club and a tremendous all-rounder. Colo was just immense, he defended superbly and also helped in midfield and attack. He could have grabbed a winner. I was worried about Adebayor's strength, pace and mobility but Colo had him in his pocket all game. One of the best defensive performances I've ever seen at the back for Newcastle.

Jonas gets a lot of stick but that man just keeps going and going, his work-rate unreal and his cross for Demba Ba's goal was not only well worked, beating two men, but also perfectly delivered. Spurs couldn't handle him and given both Bale and Modric were deployed down his side throughout the game, to think he pegged that side back says it all for me.

Steven Taylor let the lads down with his poor tackle but in general he defended superbly and showed a more mature side to his game. The Taylor of old would have tried to make ammends for his poor tackle by playing the hero, but he recovered from his mistake and kept his head, making an absolutely fantastic block.

I thought up front both Ba and Best worked hard and were both mobile and physically strong. They may not be the best of footballers but they cause defenders problems and give us something up front.

I thought Ryan Taylor, his poor defending vs Defoe aside, had a good game too. As did the vast majority of the side. Simpson and Obertan were our weak links and Obertan especially needs replaced. He's a headless chicken and poor on the ball. Although his pace is an outlet.

Cabaye wasn't as instrumental on the ball today but he worked hard, tackled well and did keep the ball moving.

Ben Arfa tried to do too much and was a liability but he'll come good.

Shola? That's him all over, an enigma. What a goal and cameo from the big man.

Special praise to Pardew who could clearly be heard from the touchline constantly encouraging his men and always remaining positive.

As for Spurs, they are a good side, a very good side, probably one of the best 6 in the league, and encouragingly for us, I personally thought we were much better than they were for large spells.

Well done to the lads, manager, staff and indeed the fans who kept with the team.

Simpson gets far too much stick on here, he had a good game, kept their (apparently world class) wingers quiet pretty much the entire game.

I agree with this, didn't think he had a bad game at all really.

Just got in. So, was it a pen then?

Yea.

Simpson gets far too much stick on here, he had a good game, kept their (apparently world class) wingers quiet pretty much the entire game.

:snod:

He was solid enough at the back, people go over the top. Still Santon is very exciting, may offer more going fowards also.

If we had been as solid in defence as in the first few games we would have won. We were chasing from 1-0 down and then from 2-1 down. Not easy but to get a draw is still a good result.

Disagree, thought we were immense in defence, penalty came from nowhere and was against the run of play. Had a few shocking moments in the second half positioning wise, but overall I thought we were at least as good as we were in the first couple of games if not better, raylor actually seems to be growing into LB, still needs replacing ASAP. Can see us signing cissokho or pieters in January and santon playing rb.

Obertan's surely not going to mantain his position in the first Xl.

He shouldn't do so.

The one moment when he got his shot wide, Simpson was on the right. Could have been a goal as we had bodies in the middle and Simpson would have had an easy cross to play.

That and his pathetic pass across goal, then the 0 crosses he put in in general. He has spirit but not enough effect atm, have to give Marv his chance now.

From start to finish I think we were much the better side and only poor defensive errors lead to their two strikes, the first a blatant penalty from a poor tackle by Taylor and the second goal R.Taylor was turned far too easily by Defoe. Othere than that we were on top for the majority and in the end they were really hanging on.

I thought Tiote, Colo and Jonas were all exceptional. Firstly Tiote, he was everywhere and broke up so much play, he dominated their entire midfield. Parker, Modric and Livermore just couldn't escape him. He is without a doubt the most impressive athlete we have ever had at our club and a tremendous all-rounder. Colo was just immense, he defended superbly and also helped in midfield and attack. He could have grabbed a winner. I was worried about Adebayor's strength, pace and mobility but Colo had him in his pocket all game. One of the best defensive performances I've ever seen at the back for Newcastle.

Jonas gets a lot of stick but that man just keeps going and going, his work-rate unreal and his cross for Demba Ba's goal was not only well worked, beating two men, but also perfectly delivered. Spurs couldn't handle him and given both Bale and Modric were deployed down his side throughout the game, to think he pegged that side back says it all for me.

Steven Taylor let the lads down with his poor tackle but in general he defended superbly and showed a more mature side to his game. The Taylor of old would have tried to make ammends for his poor tackle by playing the hero, but he recovered from his mistake and kept his head, making an absolutely fantastic block.

I thought up front both Ba and Best worked hard and were both mobile and physically strong. They may not be the best of footballers but they cause defenders problems and give us something up front.

I thought Ryan Taylor, his poor defending vs Defoe aside, had a good game too. As did the vast majority of the side. Simpson and Obertan were our weak links and Obertan especially needs replaced. He's a headless chicken and poor on the ball. Although his pace is an outlet.

Cabaye wasn't as instrumental on the ball today but he worked hard, tackled well and did keep the ball moving.

Ben Arfa tried to do too much and was a liability but he'll come good.

Shola? That's him all over, an enigma. What a goal and cameo from the big man.

Special praise to Pardew who could clearly be heard from the touchline constantly encouraging his men and always remaining positive.

As for Spurs, they are a good side, a very good side, probably one of the best 6 in the league, and encouragingly for us, I personally thought we were much better than they were for large spells.

Well done to the lads, manager, staff and indeed the fans who kept with the team.

Have to agree with this assessment 100%.