Newcastle United 2 - 1 Everton - 05/11/11 - post-match reaction from page 26

James

Just in from work, haven't seen anything, don't give a fuck about the performance. To get results at Stoke and again here against Everton in the space of a week and continue our unbeaten run is absolutely brilliant. We don't concede many and we score: that is why we're winning games.

Steady, you'll end up on the MOTD sofa with that sorta analysis.

The facts are that we can score goals for fun and we rarely concede: however you arrive at that situation--total football or counter-attacking blitzes--that is how you win games. People continually saying we're lucky are missing the point: aye, sometimes we get dominated for spells, but we can allow that as we're sorted at both ends where it actually counts.

We rode our luck a bit today on the not conceding score mind.

Just in from work, haven't seen anything, don't give a fuck about the performance. To get results at Stoke and again here against Everton in the space of a week and continue our unbeaten run is absolutely brilliant. We don't concede many and we score: that is why we're winning games.

The facts are that we can score goals for fun and we rarely concede: however you arrive at that situation--total football or counter-attacking blitzes--that is how you win games. People continually saying we're lucky are missing the point: aye, sometimes we get dominated for spells, but we can allow that as we're sorted at both ends where it actually counts.

Fair enough. Haven't seen the game today, was talking about our success in general.

Just in from work, haven't seen anything, don't give a f*** about the performance. To get results at Stoke and again here against Everton in the space of a week and continue our unbeaten run is absolutely brilliant. We don't concede many and we score: that is why we're winning games.

We've ridden our luck in a few games but its impossible to go through a season without being ripped. Man City could have been well done tonight by QPR with some better finishing, and ManU conceded 6 not so long ago. And one of those two clubs will probably win the league this season.

City with no Cabaye :(

I'm more worried about Tiote being missing, Guthrie has been better in his last 3 games than Cabaye has since he got injured for France.

Jesus Christ. Guthrie was worse than Cabaye today, until Cabaye went off he then raised the level of his game. Against Stoke I think they were both equally good, but Cabaye was distributing the ball better.

Cabaye is more than twice the player Guthrie is, and if he doesn't play against City we'll have more problems than we already should have.

Guthrie played better than Cabaye against Stoke.

Don't really agree. Guthrie had more energy in the 2nd half, but Cabaye ran his socks off in the 1st half and was although, the game passing the midfield by with the ball hoofing to the forwards, trying to get involved. He pressed smartly and even had two or three good balls to our strikers. Ran out of energy in the 2nd half, but considering he's been playing the whole season and 120minutes at Blackburn 4-5 days earlier its not to weird. He's a clever player who works his socks off everytime he's on field.

To come out with 'how on earth our we second?' is a very harsh comment, neither side were at their best and we were missing Tiote and Cabaye for a large chunk of the game, basically the engine room of our team. Got to say we looked pretty tired too, Jonas and Ba both put in sluggish performances. Any some match ratings:

Krul 6.5 - Nothing he could do about the goal. Some more aimless long balls towards the end of the game which resulted in our back four coming under pressure.

Simpson 6 - Didn't cover himself in glory for the goal but solid overall, also contributed tot he attack with some decent balls in.

Taylor 7 - A composed display, looked comfortable in large parts but Saha did give him a bit of bother at times.

Colo 7.5 - Commanding, won almost everything in the air and played with his usual level of class.

Taylor 6.5 - Looked uncomfortable with people running at him but didn't do an awful lot wrong, got a cracking match winner too.

Marveaux 5 - Floated in and out of the game. Linked up well in parts but ultimately contributed little in the final third.

Cabaye 5.5 - Worked hard as usual but didn't really impose himself on the game, his passing range was a bit  off too. Hope he's back soon mind.

Guthrie 7 - Impressive display, knows how to create a yard of space for himself and used the ball well. He's proving decent back up for Tiote.

Jonas 5.5 - Looked absolutely knackered and never really got into the game. Did track back to good effect at times mind, one brilliant sliding tackle in the second half springs to mind.

Ba 5 - Another who looked absolutely knackered. Dropped deep to help the midfield but was sloppy in possession and ineffective in the final third.

Best 5.5 - Battled hard but to little effect, needs to learn how to play the offside trap.

Gosling 6 - Nothing flashy about him but he put himself about and made some decent challanges. He dropped a bit too deep late on.

Ameobi 6.5 - I like him, he's direct, commits defenders and runs his socks off. By no means the finished article but there might be a decent player in him.

Ben Arfa 6 - Didn't really have time to impose himself on the game but he helped ease the pressure by creating some space and keeping the ball late on.

Pardew 7 - Can't really fault the starting line up, his changes weren't bad too. The sluggish display was most likely down to the monumental shift the lads but in on Monday night more than anything.

Actually Ba was not sluggish. He was freakin' everywhere, I remember him clearing freekicks and corners in our box. Probably not as sharp in front of goal as we'd have liked, but it's not like we were creating a shitload of chances. Had a decent game.

I'm more worried about Tiote being missing, Guthrie has been better in his last 3 games than Cabaye has since he got injured for France.

Jesus Christ. Guthrie was worse than Cabaye today, until Cabaye went off he then raised the level of his game. Against Stoke I think they were both equally good, but Cabaye was distributing the ball better.

Cabaye is more than twice the player Guthrie is, and if he doesn't play against City we'll have more problems than we already should have.

Guthrie was one of our best players today, in fact for me he was the best player on the pitch.

He was also better than Cabaye against Stoke and Blackburn according to the people who watched the cup game, in fact I think Cabaye has been below par since he got injured against France so I'm not sure what the problem is with me saying that Tiote will be a bigger miss?

Or are you one of these posters with the "If Guthrie starts we will lose" attitudes?

Guthrie was one of our best players today, in fact for me he was the best player on the pitch.

He was also better than Cabaye against Stoke and Blackburn according to the people who watched the cup game, in fact I think Cabaye has been below par since he got injured against France so I'm not sure what the problem is with me saying that Tiote will be a bigger miss?

Or are you one of these posters with the "If Guthrie starts we will lose" attitudes?

Most definitely

Most definitely

This