Newcastle United 2 - 1 Everton - 05/11/11 - post-match reaction from page 26

James

Guest bimpy474

In Fifa's Laws of the Game 2005, Law 12 says a free-kick or penalty will be awarded if a player "handles the ball deliberately (except for the goalkeeper within his own penalty area)".

Exactly, it has to be deliberate. Commentators and pundits are terrible at getting this wrong, the media ignore the actual law, so now fans and players have incorrect expectations.

"deliberately" was also written in BOLD also in that rule.... so it basically ref & assistant decision... even they see the handball they don't feel it was DELIBERATE means NO PENALTY.....

See my post above, directly below your post, thats the grey area decisions that should mean, for me anyway, in the rules it should just say, "handball if the ref/officials deem it to be" thats how it is anyway.

No grey area decision.... because ref is the judge on the pitch.... he decide it.... we feel its grey area decision because we act like we are the ref in that match but honestly we aren't the ref.

Thats how it should be, officials make the decisions, end of, but if you looked at every penalty given/not given for handball in the premier league, there would be so many mistakes shown up if you went by what the rules state and what your taught (as i was) on a refs course.

Guest bimpy474

If the "deliberate" rule was applied properly, there would be almost no penalties for handball in the Premier League, which is how it should be IMO. Most of the penalties you see given are accidental handball.

:snod:

Exactly what i was getting at, thats why you scrap that law.

Guest bimpy474

McFadden will be your saviour :pow:

His late attempt was :anguish: worthy.

He looked rough as f*** when he came on.

Looked genuinly ill. He's aged f***ing loads sinse I last saw him in a Brum shirt.

I think its an illness called "To Be Scottish"

McFadden's the best player that never was.  He's got the ability but he doesn't have the work-rate, he takes the huff when something doesn't come off.

Alvaro Recoba

I think we were lucky to take 3 points tbh. The amount if chances they had in the first half was frightening. We did better in the second half though. Also the amount of balls we just knocked high into the box wad so frustrating,they won absolutely everything in the air and we just kept doing it. Best was very very average,yes he worked hard but just not good enough imo.

Massive three points though and fair play to us for seeing it through under pressure.

City with no Cabaye :(

I'm more worried about Tiote being missing, Guthrie has been better in his last 3 games than Cabaye has since he got injured for France.

Jesus Christ. Guthrie was worse than Cabaye today, until Cabaye went off he then raised the level of his game. Against Stoke I think they were both equally good, but Cabaye was distributing the ball better.

Cabaye is more than twice the player Guthrie is, and if he doesn't play against City we'll have more problems than we already should have.

Guthrie was one of our best players today, in fact for me he was the best player on the pitch.

He was also better than Cabaye against Stoke and Blackburn according to the people who watched the cup game, in fact I think Cabaye has been below par since he got injured against France so I'm not sure what the problem is with me saying that Tiote will be a bigger miss?

Or are you one of these posters with the "If Guthrie starts we will lose" attitudes?

If you look on the Guthrie thread, I said he was my MoTM, but I thought Cabaye was the better player until his injury. Guthrie got better as the more open the game got. Anyways, I agree that Tiote will be the bigger miss, but I was just reacting as I read your post as it really doesn't matter if Cabaye misses the match since Guthrie's been better. Might have interpreted it all wrong, apologies Baggio.

Anyway, enough of the penalty decision because as I say, it doesn't excuse what was a f***ing horrendous 2nd half performance. Just when I thought "oh, we're on top now", we offered f*** all. We kept possession and did our usual thing of dawdling about.

Indeed, it was you who were more likely to score in the last few minutes.

More generally, we have a long-standing habit of not playing badly but losing, and playing well but drawing. It's almost as if we're a good striker away from being a good team - shocking, ey?

Thats what i was saying in the bar afterwards, you keep the ball well and play some decent stuff but you are totally toothless up front. Shame for you's really.

I would have been fuming if it was the other way around and an Everton player had handled it.

It was a shot on target and it looks nailed on to me.

Agreed, it was a penalty no doubt about it. But still think that the ref somehow justified it by not giving Sammy a penalty, as I was of the opinion that Hibbert pushed him in the air just like Ba did Crouch monday night.

We were all right in the first half. Ba and particularly Best gave their CBs a battering, but the second half was just a complete reversal where we really struggled to hold on to the ball.

That'll be the Gosling for Cabaye effect.

Don't agree with all this 'poor 2nd half performance' tbh. Of course, we didn't really attack them anymore but from a defensive point of view, it was a very very good performance indeed. They were hardly able to create any real chances despite all their possesion in the 2nd half.

In the end, it's good defensive work that wins you points more than good attacking play. Most of the times, teams with the least conceded goals win the title so there's some truth in that surely.

Just look at Mourinho's Inter that won the CL in 2010, hardly attractive style of playing but very successful. Not that I want us to play that kind of football but sometimes it's necessary. Especially yesterday as we were playing with only 1 first choice midfielder.

I think we were lucky to take 3 points tbh. The amount if chances they had in the first half was frightening. We did better in the second half though. Also the amount of balls we just knocked high into the box wad so frustrating,they won absolutely everything in the air and we just kept doing it. Best was very very average,yes he worked hard but just not good enough imo.

Massive three points though and fair play to us for seeing it through under pressure.

Best needs dropped until someone can explain the offside rule to him. Very frustrating watching him yesterday.

I think considering the amount of changes we had to make due to injuries, as well as the tiredness that was clearly on show after monday night's epic display against Stoke, to win vs a good Everton team is a magnificent effort.

By the end our midfield was Jonas, Guthrie, Gosling and Sammy Ameobi. A very unfamiliar lineup.

Regarding the penalty appeal, I do think it would have been harsh to give it but at the same time, if rolls were reversed we would have all been crying out for a penalty too and been adamant it was definitely going in. You can't blame Everton fans for feeling hard done by.

All in all, a vital 3 points which sits us in a great position going into 3 very tough games.

we just didnt attempt anything like possession football yesterday and it was pretty irritating to watch us knock long balls up to Best and Ba when they were being continually dominated in the air.

I thought they won their fair share in the air yesterday, certainly not dominated anyway.