Newcastle United 2 - 1 Everton - 05/11/11 - post-match reaction from page 26

James

we just didnt attempt anything like possession football yesterday and it was pretty irritating to watch us knock long balls up to Best and Ba when they were being continually dominated in the air.

I thought they won their fair share in the air yesterday, certainly not dominated anyway.

Did in the first half definitely, both faded in the 2nd though.

we just didnt attempt anything like possession football yesterday and it was pretty irritating to watch us knock long balls up to Best and Ba when they were being continually dominated in the air.

I thought they won their fair share in the air yesterday, certainly not dominated anyway.

Did in the first half definitely, both faded in the 2nd though.

I think the problem that a lot of our players have is that they work so hard and cover so much ground closing down that they can't keep up that level for  90 minutes.

they might have won a couple, but everton won the majority. that's not necessarily a massive problem, the problem is when something's not working and you keep doing it. did we create any chances yesterday? they created loads in the first half.

Just seen this supposed stone wall pen on the telly.

The ball hits Goslings arms as he's getting up of the ground, would have been very very harsh had it been given.

He had his arm away from his body and the ball hit his arm, with some distance between the initial shot and the contact with his arm.

There is no way it isn't a penalty.

never a pen in a million years.

he's just getting up off the floor and it hits him after first taking a deflection off Colocinnis foot.

It is NOT hand to ball, it just hits him as he's trying to get up off the floor.

If that's not handball then nothing is. Nobody actually gives away a penalty in the box because they make a conscious decision to swat the ball away with their hands. (Obvious exception is obvious)

That said, we deserve all the good luck we can get after the fucking ridiculous series of decisions we got the season we went down, so screw it.

Surprised by how many people are trying to defend Gosling, and can't just accept that on this occasion, you got a big break. Doesn't mean we'd have gone on and won, or even scored the penalty, but there's no doubt you got lucky in this situation.

Agreed. The same way you lot were lucky Tiote was out and Cabaye had to be subbed off  :shifty:

If that's not handball then nothing is. Nobody actually gives away a penalty in the box because they make a conscious decision to swat the ball away with their hands. (Obvious exception is obvious)

That said, we deserve all the good luck we can get after the f***ing ridiculous series of decisions we got the season we went down, so screw it.

:thup:

Surprised by how many people are trying to defend Gosling, and can't just accept that on this occasion, you got a big break. Doesn't mean we'd have gone on and won, or even scored the penalty, but there's no doubt you got lucky in this situation.

I'm defending Gosling because it wasn't 'deliberate'. It was probably a penalty yes, but the ball hits him as he's getting off the ground. You can't get off the ground without moving your arms away from your body. Just because it's a pen doesn't mean it's not a harsh one.

Best needs dropped until someone can explain the offside rule to him. Very frustrating watching him yesterday.

Best gave away at least 9 free kicks but not all were offside.  He handled once and a couple were for him fouling the defender.

I've thought for a long time that the handball rule needs looking at, or at least re-wording. Who the fuck, other than Luis Suarez, handles the ball deliberately in their own area? The intent law is ridiculous.

Someone on the Guardian podcast last week said that the Norwich penalty when Nzonzi stuck his arm out appealing was the worst decision of the season because of the lack of intent. If you put your arm out in the area and the ball hits it, of course it's a fucking penalty ffs. Personally I reckon Krul would have saved it but I think it was a penalty, not according to the law, however the law as it stands is a farce. I thought we should have had one against Spurs too though when it hit Livermore's arm.

I've thought for a long time that the handball rule needs looking at, or at least re-wording. Who the fuck, other than Luis Suarez, handles the ball deliberately in their own area? The intent law is ridiculous.

Agree.

The law should be amended to reflect a penalty being given if the ball would otherwise be going in the back of the net, irrespective of the intention of the offending player. For other situations, the laws of intention seem adequate IMO.

The thing is there has to be an element of common sense about it. A player having the ball smashed at him from point blank range is different from one who has time to think about what he is doing, similarly a player who has his arms by his sides and physically cannot move his arm out of the way short of having it removed is different from the player who has his arms raised or outstretched.

If memory serves, Ameobi has given away two penalties, one against Arsenal and one against West Ham (someone feel free to correct me) by sticking his arm high in the air when a cross came in and the ball hitting it. Neither were penalties by law, both were blatant in reality. The law should reflect absolute stupidity instead of the ridiculous suggestion of intent.

That said, we deserve all the good luck we can get after the f***ing ridiculous series of decisions we got the season we went down, so screw it.

I disagree, I've seen quite a few penalties where the hand does move towards the direction of the ball. Obviously handballs are generally not premeditated, they are mostly instinctive, even Suarez's infamous save against Ghana, but you can still see the hand move towards the ball. Gosling's case was the opposite, the ball hit him on the arm. This rule (if applied consistently makes sense too), otherwise a clever striker could easily get a penalty by scooping the ball towards the hand of the defender in such a way/speed that it makes it very difficult for the defender to move his hands out of the way.

If memory serves, Ameobi has given away two penalties, one against Arsenal and one against West Ham (someone feel free to correct me) by sticking his arm high in the air when a cross came in and the ball hitting it. Neither were penalties by law, both were blatant in reality. The law should reflect absolute stupidity instead of the ridiculous suggestion of intent.

Is the former you're thinking of not Jenas? Turned out to be the decisive gooal in a 3-2 defeat.

I would say it´s a penalty if a player is spreading his arm to make himself bigger. Of course it get tricky sometimes if it is a penalty or not, but still, it is a good law and should not be chance. Maybe more clarify.

On a different subject, I get irritated when I see our first goal described as lucky. There was a good interchange of passes in midfield, and a dart into space by Guthrie which left the Everton midfield out of position. Then a great pass to Simpson in acres of space and a quick, accurate cross into the danger area. Yes, it was an own goal, but we'd put the ball, under pressure, into own goal territory, and got the reward.