St James' Park

Dave

Really happy about the stadium name, obviously.

I'm wondering why they're paying to do that though. If their intention is changing the name further down the line, any goodwill will be pissed away instantly. Maybe it's just because they have noted the negative reaction to their name being mentioned in the first place. Seems suspicious though.

Anyway, until something else like that happens all we can do is judge what has happened so far. Not particularly enamoured by the new shirt sponsor but if it's a better deal for the club then that is good news and them changing the stadium name back is fucking brilliant. Works for me tbh.

"Fans hate new sponsor? Let's make them pay to bring back St. James' Park for goodwill."

http://cdn.memegenerator.net/instances/400x/24133683.jpg

Wouldn't amaze me in the slightest. :lol:

Guest icemanblue

I'm wondering why they're paying to do that though. If their intention is changing the name further down the line, any goodwill will be pissed away instantly. Maybe it's just because they have noted the negative reaction to their name being mentioned in the first place. Seems suspicious though.

Anyway, until something else like that happens all we can do is judge what has happened so far. Not particularly enamoured by the new shirt sponsor but if it's a better deal for the club then that is good news and them changing the stadium name back is fucking brilliant. Works for me tbh.

I really don't think they're paying anything for the 'stadium rights'. It was probably used as a sweetener in the deal, by us. Saves us from having the whole thing be perceived as a 'failure' when we inevitably had to admit no one was interested.

I really don't think they're paying anything for the 'stadium rights'. It was probably used as a sweetener in the deal, by us. Saves us from having the whole thing be perceived as a 'failure' when we inevitably had to admit no one was interested.

Aye, that makes more sense. I will always remain cynical about it though, they did it once so I don't trust them not to do it again.

Seems about right to me, if they were paying anything for it the club would have said how much. More importantly if they were paying for it I find it very difficult to believe they'd call it St James Park  :lol:

That sounds about right to me. All we've really ended up with is a really shit name on our shirts IMO, and maybe slightly more money than Virgin were prepared to pay. Hope I'm wrong like, but stadium sponsorship is usually big money.

Aye, just what I said to me dad. Makes a whole lot of sense from everyone involved.