Spain win Euro 2012

Stifler
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

What's this conspiracy theory that the Russians had been offered a massive goal bonus last night, and so were all going for goal from anywhere rather than passing, thus losing them the game?

I thought it was a pathetic performance from a purely footballing point of view. Consistently making the wrong decision, regular selfishness and a real lack of urgency. Obviously thought they would be going through. Despite Greece's generally shit football, I was pleased for them.

I think the head to head record over goal difference is a stupid rule, the scenario for tomorrow is if Croatia and Spain share a 2-2 draw or more then they both qualify regardless of what the italians do.

Apparently the Premier League is one of the only leagues in the world where goal difference is the first deciding factor.

Anyway:

The Rules

If two or more teams are equal on points on completion of the group matches, the following criteria are applied, in the order given; to determine the rankings:

• (a) higher number of points obtained in the matches among the teams in question

• (b) superior goal difference in the matches among the teams in question

• © higher number of goals scored in the matches among the teams in question

• (d) If, after having applied criteria a) to c), two of those teams still have an equal ranking, criteria a) to c) are reapplied exclusively to the matches between the two teams in question to determine the final rankings of the two teams. If this procedure does not lead to a decision, criteria e) to i) apply in the order given

• (e) superior goal difference in all the group matches

• (f) higher number of goals scored in all the group matches

• (g) if the two teams have played each other in the final group game, the team to progress would be decided on penalties. Otherwise it comes down to the Uefa national team coefficient ranking system

• (h) fair play conduct of the teams (final tournament)

• (i) drawing of lots.

If two teams are tied on the same number of points as well as goals scored and conceded after playing each other in the final group match, qualification is decided by penalties.

So it's not exactly head to head, it's the most points gained in the matches between the teams in question - so if it's a three way tie, it's how many points you got from the other two teams on the same points as you.

The page that came from also shows exactly what needs to happen for each team to qualify

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/18454917

I think the head to head record over goal difference is a stupid rule, the scenario for tomorrow is if Croatia and Spain share a 2-2 draw or more then they both qualify regardless of what the italians do.

Apparently the Premier League is one of the only leagues in the world where goal difference is the first deciding factor.

No it´s not. I think more leagues than not has goal difference before head to head. I´m just to goal difference but start to think that maybe head to head is better. But isn´t this new to this tournament?

a 3-2 denmark win will so both teams advance regardless of the other game, which would also mean denmark topping the group. doubt that will happen though. im gonna watch portugal on the box and have the germany match muted on my laptop.

if portugal win  tonight then germany are out if they lose by 2 goals, 1-0, or 2-1, BUT a 3-2, 4-3 win will put them thorugh.

denmark out if they lose, or draw and portugal atleast draw.

holland out if they dont win by 2, but will go through with any 2 goal win assuming denmakr dont pick up a point. complicated stuff.  :laugh:

No it´s not. I think more leagues than not has goal difference before head to head.

Maybe not 'one of the only' but it's not as common as you might think

Argentina - Playoff

Brazil - Number of wins

Belgium - Games won

Greece - Head to head points

Italy- Head to head records

MSL - Head to head

Poland - Head-to-head points

Portugal - Head to head points

Russia - Number of wins

Spain - Head to head points

Just caught up on the last page.

Always raises a chuckle when Dave gets rattled. :lol:

Doesn't even have the humility to hold his hands up when he's wrong. Dissapointing from the self-appointed ambassador of the forum.

Guest bimpy474

Just caught up on the last page.

Always raises a chuckle when Dave gets rattled. :lol:

Doesn't even have the humility to hold his hands up when he's wrong. Dissapointing from the self-appointed ambassador of the forum.

You are a first rate belittler of people, i'll give you that Ronnie lad.

Head to head is a rubbish way of deciding things, in both leagues and groups. One measure takes all the matches into account, while the other does not. If we are measuring which team has performed at a higher level over the course of the tournament or league, (which is the point, imo) goal difference is the way.

Head to head in a 3 game group makes sense imo, the 2 teams would have likely played each other within the past week so if you have beaten them it's fair that you finish ahead of them tbh, unlike a 38 game league where it just becomes a bit of a lottery.

Italian players insinuating that we'll arrange a 2-2 with Croatia, which would send them packing no matter what they do against Ireland.

Thinks the thief that everybody steals...

We should totally do it, though!

:lol:

Italian players insinuating that we'll arrange a 2-2 with Croatia, which would send them packing no matter what they do against Ireland.

Thinks the thief that everybody steals...

We should totally do it, though!

:lol: as i wrong as it is i would be funny as hell though..

At various twitter accounts

Arshavin to Russian fans in the airport: "It's not our problem we didn't meet your expectations. It's your problem".

what a prick.

Arshavin to Russian fans in the airport: "It's not our problem we didn't meet your expectations. It's your problem".

what a prick.

I think Ibra's is better  :lol: "I don't give a shit who wins it now. I'm going on Holiday."

what a prick.

I think Ibra's is better  :lol: "I don't give a shit who wins it now. I'm going on Holiday."

was that a response to someone or just what was on his mind? :lol:

what a prick.

I think Ibra's is better  :lol: "I don't give a s*** who wins it now. I'm going on Holiday."

somehow I missed that. But it sounds very typical Ibra :lol: