Newcastle United 0 - 3 Chelsea - 12/03/11 - post-match reaction from page 37

Beren

Cabaye's been really poor for an extended run of games now. very worrying. he needs to be creative, getting up supporting the attack, and able to put his foot on the ball and picking a pass or starting off one-twos. let someone else like Tiote put in the legwork. Guthrie is just a disaster for Cabaye. You wouldn't play Modric alongside a more attacking player and ask him to be the more defensive of the pair as he'd look shit and the same applies to Cabaye.

Cabaye's been really poor for an extended run of games now. very worrying. he needs to be creative, getting up supporting the attack, and able to put his foot on the ball and picking a pass or starting off one-twos. let someone else like Tiote put in the legwork. Guthrie is just a disaster for Cabaye. You wouldn't play Modric alongside a more attacking player and ask him to be the more defensive of the pair as he'd look shit and the same applies to Cabaye.

He's been 'poor' for the last 3 games because we haven't had the ball and he hasn't had the chance to shine offensively.

He's still put his shift in defensively.

What a terrible scoreline - very disappointing we played some kamikaze stuff with 10 men when the game was clearly lost.

As others have hinted, we dearly missed a proper left back. Ryan Taylor was a disaster waiting to happen without Spiderman covering his backside.

The one good thing to come out of the game (other than Krul, who never ceases to amaze me) for me had to Danny Guthrie - i thought his second half performance was outstanding (bar one stray pass). He wanted the ball at every opportunity which is a delight to watch having seen players hide in the past. He also spread the play delightfully on numerous occassions. Kudos to him for stepping up to the plate following Tiote's injury.

My Ratings

Krul - 9 - usual awesomeness from the dutch man

Simpson - 6 - skinned by mata but ok

Saylor - 7.5  - good before a very worrying injury

Colo - 7.5- not enough time but his positional play was excellent before he went off

Raylor - 3 - I like the guy but he is playing out of position and it is costing us

Obertan - 4.5 - lightbulb man seems woefully short on confidence

Cabs - 6.5  - i've knocked off a bit due to his abysmal tracking for the first goal, but fairly tidy other than that

Guthrie - 8 - Great second half performance

Lovelypants- 7 -decent performance - not half as bad as some folk make out on here

Ben Arfa - 5.5  - overdoes it for me but will come good in time

Ba - 7 - unlucky not to score

Subs

Perch - 7 -  I actually thought he was half decent given his ability. Seems to be less of a liability through the middle but still a worrying sight every time i see him coming on. Harsh to blame him for the goal as some have done here. If Perch had done what Cabaye had done in the lead up to the goal he would have been lynched.

Sammy - 6 - gutted his shot was cleared off the line.

Strolla - 7 - very unlucky with his shot that hit the bar. I dunno if he is working out or just wearing tighter shirts each time i see him these days but he looked like the incredible hulk when he came on!

FUCK ME AM FREEZING!

We were not outclassed today, the scoreline does not reflect the game.. They have to be the most dishonest team in the league by a country mile, their time wasting in the second half was beyond a disgrace.

From taking an eternity to take a throwin (usual time wasting) but Chechs deliberate miss control so the ball rolls miles past him to Drogba seeing Torres was coming on and fucking off miles across the pitch before the number board was held up.

No point debating the non re card we all know, they all know and anyone who will see it knows it was a straight red, the ref was never going to give us anything, he constantly ignored his linesmen and over ruled them on most things.

Now our lot

Krul oh Timmy Krul.. offer the lad a 10 year deal now and never sell him MOTM by a mile he superb, awesome, brilliant, outstanding, wonderful and incredible all in one.

Ryan Taylor found wanting today most of the time, in the 1st half you could see their plan was to get Sturrage inbehind him and he did time and time again.. it just shows how MUCH we really did miss Jonas today.

Losing Colo was a massive bow I hope its not serious BUT Perch did okay I have to say.

Taylor looked a serious injury it looked maybe a broken foot, if that is the case then that an utter disaster for us.

My biggest gripe today apart from the ref again is Obertan if he did not have pace he would not be a footballer but even when he does run with the ball he just runs himself into trouble, he is the worst passer of a football I have ever seen just so dam careless.

So we have now lost two games but in neither have we looked terrible I hope to god the squad don't let their heads drop, the media will bang on now have we been tested and have shown we are lucky to be where we are blah blah blah but we know that's utter bollocks.

Cabaye and Guthrie consistently did some beautiful passes today and Krul was his usual fantastic self. Ba created plenty of chances for himself and I think he linked up well with Shola. There were positives from the game, but a lot of damage has been done today.

Steven Taylor has an achilles injury - quite serious according to Pardew.

Coloccini has a thigh strain, could miss a couple of weeks.

That begs the question, who the f*** plays centrally next week?

:undecided:

Big Sol still available?

;)

Guest Wally_McFool

Krul - 9 - usual awesomeness from the dutch man -  Agreed

Simpson - 6 - skinned by mata but ok - Agreed

Saylor - 7.5  - good before a very worrying injury - Agreed

Colo - 7.5- not enough time but his positional play was excellent before he went off - Agreed

Raylor - 4 - I like the guy but he is playing out of position and it is costing us - Agreed. Lost without Jonas

Obertan - 3.0 - Osram seems woefully short on confidence - Modern day Wayne Fereday

Cabaye - 7.5  - Classiest outfield Newcastle player. Clumsy penna he gave away tho

Guthrie - 6'5 -  Worked hard

Lovelypants- 6 - Good going forward. Offered nothing defensively

Ben Arfa - 5.5  - Luxury player. Needs a full strength  hard working team around him before we see the best of Benny

Ba - 7.5 - Thought he played very well

Subs

Perch - 6 -  Did OK

Sammy - 6.5 - OK.

Strolla - 6.75 - Ok and unlucky

I'm actually quite proud of our team today. We really need our best 11 to compete with the moneybags teams, but we have been steadily losing our quality players and against top teams it is going to tell. Even so I thought we knocked it about quite nicely, and were never outclassed. No doubt we'll be written off by the media but considering how much money we've spent on our squad, to see AVB celebrating like he'd beaten Barcelona says plenty about what we've achieved this season.

Krul - 9 - Superb performance - collected his crosses, stood up and made himself large during a few one-on-ones, and made a couple of big saves, including a superb reach for the penalty. Didn't deserve to concede three goals. He's suddenly blossomed into a world class keeper this season - will be interesting if he can keep this form up as a lot of what determines a keeper's longevity is their psychological robustness.

Simpson - 5 - Typical performance we've come to expect from Simpson, mediocre in every aspect; weak in the tackle, a liability on the ball, and no finesse in the final third. Did make one or two blocks and tackles though.

Taylor 8 - Solid as usual this season, and marshalled the back line very well after Colo went off. Strong aerially. Unfortunately playing with an injury for a few minutes cost us a goal.

Coloccini 7 - Imperious, but it was noticeable that he was struggling to get out wide and cover for Raylor at times, which let Sturridge have too much space.

Raylor - 2 - Sick of him. Opening half hour is as bad as i've ever seen from a newcastle left-back, and it feels like i've been saying that too many times this season. Awful, just awful as a left-back. Did improve slightly, and made two crucial blocks before half-time, but he is not playing at a high enough standard for us. This season he has gotten by not only because he's had Jonas tracking back and acting as a 2nd LB, but, and imo more importantly, he's had Colo acting as a sweeper in the space behind him. he gets caught out of position, or simply beaten for pace/trickery half a dozen times in every single match, it's just he's had Colo dealing with the problem. With the captain suffering all game from his back injury, there was no one to help him out until ironically Perch came on. Needs to be dropped ASAP and ill be astonished if Pardew doesn't bite the bullet and do it.

Obertan - 3 - Nothing came off for him today, looks like he lacks any sort of confidence. Very frustrating, and without his usual one or two bright touches.

Cabaye - 5 - Poor yet again by his standards. Hassled well and ran about a lot, but it is not his natural game. We miss his creative influence. Awful for the pen.

Guthrie - 6.5 - Continuing his decent run of games, however he was pretty weak in the challenge 4 or 5 times and lost his man, particularly Ramires, when chelsea broke. Also tries too many "hollywood passes" or chipped balls that don't come off. He's done better than most expected and earned his place in the squad, but i'd drop him in an instant when Tiote gets back.

Lovenkrands - 6.5 - Not bad, went on some great dribbles and floated in a couple of excellent crosses. Easily our most creative player in the first half. However he tended to drift inside and is guilty of dereliction of duty in defensive terms.

HBA - 4.5 - Poor compared to his previous two matches. Wasn't on the ball enough, and played himself into trouble when he finally did receive it.

Ba - 7.5 - Played really well I thought - reminds me a bit of Bellamy, minus the effort and technique, but with much more physical power and goalscoring ability. Probably deserved a goal, and should've been rewarded for his early run on goal by getting Luiz sent off.

SUBS:

Perch - 6 - He didn't do as badly as some thought, however he lost most aerial duels with Drogba, and one cost us the opening goal. He also didn't tackle effectively enough on Torres for one of the later goals, so i wouldn't say he played well. Good effort, but he's not a centre-half by trade and it is not his fault Pardew is forced to play him there.

Shola - 7 - Played really well. His strong running and presence was exactly what we needed in the second half. Some of his shooting was a bit scrappy, but perhaps unlucky he didn't get a goal.

Sammy - 6.5 - Arguably better than Obertan, HBA or Lovenkrands as he makes things happen and pulls full-backs out wide leaving gaps in the middle. Could well have scored. Still very, very raw and makes bad decisions & poor touches when we are trying to build possession.

That's the most frustrating game I've seen us play for some time.

They obviously should be down to ten men for 87 minutes but the ref completely bottled it. Yes they had chances in the first half but we'd go in level at half time if it wasn't for a throw in given inexplicably their way.

Then you've got us hitting the woodwork 3 times and them clearing off the line. Colo goes off first half and we lose Taylor ASWELL,finishing the match with 10.

Then there's the oh so obvious deficiencies of our left side but fucking hell,our right hand side was awful. Obertan can never make it stick when he tries to beat someone,which is frustrating in itself but it's because it's always being laid off to Simpson to put an ineffective cross in every single time it's even worse.

Lastly my main frustration was that in Guthrie and Cabaye we've got CM's who consistently find our wide men and put them 1 on 1 but we've got no-one on either side who can make it count. Why is Pardew taking HBA off instead of Lovenkrands? He didn't ONCE help Raylor out all day,is Lovenkrands worth the shirt for his forward play like?

Positives are Danny Guthrie in the form of his life,sharp in the tackle and sure in the pass,and obviously Tim Krul. Shola and Ba caused them all sorts of problems.

No fucking way did they deserve to win that 3-0.