Dogawful Officiating

Guest YANKEEBLEEDSMAGPIE

Umpire's call decision. If the ref gives it on the field then VAR aren't overturning it, he didn't give it and there wasn't enough to overturn it. Luckily it went for us today but we couldn't really have complained if he'd given the pen tbh. If that's Sa clipping Isak in the other box we're screaming for a pen :lol:

Amazed it wasn't given, but I also think it's fair not to. There is contact but you can also see the Wolves player take a horribly heavy touch and decide to go down. He would have had a lot to do just to catch up to the ball if he doesn't go down there. 

8 minutes ago, Miercoles said:

Amazed it wasn't given, but I also think it's fair not to. There is contact but you can also see the Wolves player take a horribly heavy touch and decide to go down. He would have had a lot to do just to catch up to the ball if he doesn't go down there. 

Please, please watch it again.  Jimenez has tried to con the ref (and has been successful with you) that he has been fouled.  I used to play centre forward and probably would have done similar (cough).  Jimenez has actually fouled Pope.  Trust me, I have exhausted my reasonings on another thread.  No pen, foul on Pope.

Did anyone see the Bella-Kotchap incident? I said no pen at the time but the more I see it the more I'm doubting my original opinion.  I'm totally confused as to what the handball rules are now. I thought if a defender handles the ball in the box from an attacking play it was a penalty and likewise if the attacker handles it's a free out.

https://www.skysports.com/watch/video/sports/football/12832424/were-man-utd-denied-a-penalty-against-southampton

36 minutes ago, KingArthur said:

It is a clear red for Pope and penalty. Jimenez is 100% scoring that and it is a clumsy collission, but still denying a goal scoring opportunity.

Don’t agree at all, it’s at the very least debatable. Raul scoops the ball and dives in one motion, the contact with Pope is after he’s already in the air. Also, the touch is quite bad and he may not have got to the ball anyway. 

Really don’t understand this desire to give game-changing penalties for very questionable stuff, it’s like people are just gagging for the drama no matter how much it ruins the game. 

Obviously I expected it to be given like. 

Jimenez goes down because he spreads his legs wide out. The contact from Pope did not cause this

It was a dive (like Gerrard did throughout his career), he was expecting more contact and thats why he didnt appeal

1 hour ago, KingArthur said:

It is a clear red for Pope and penalty. Jimenez is 100% scoring that and it is a clumsy collission, but still denying a goal scoring opportunity.

I can see both sides of the argument on this one, it's anything but clear.

It's poor from Pope, first the touch, then the clumsiness. 

At the same time Jimenez adjust his run and stops in an attempt to initiate contact. 

Personally, I thought the ref just about got it right, but it's just one of those where you're furious if it's given against you, but you'd always want it given in your favour. 

The more I watch it the more obvious it is that it's an absolutely stonewall penalty tbh.

Jimenez does turn but in real-time it's irrelevant really, he shouldn't be penalised for bracing for impact.

Madley is an atrocious referee like, but VAR should be intervening there. Pope and we were very lucky.

If that's the other way around everyone on here is saying it's a clear and obvious pen.

Edited by Kid Icarus

He's not bracing for impact like, that's incredibly generous :lol:

The fact there are so many people on both sides shows that the ref was within his rights and VAR were correct not to overrule him. It's subjective at the end of the day, there's never going to be a definitive answer. 

Edited by AyeDubbleYoo

10 minutes ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

He's not bracing for impact like, that's incredibly generous :lol:

The fact there are so many people on both sides shows that the ref was within his rights and VAR were correct not to overrule him. It's subjective at the end of the day, there's never going to be a definitive answer. 

Not at all if you watch it in real-time. 

There are people on both sides within our support - very different. Among the unbiased it's almost unanimous from what I've seen. 

I can see why it wasn't given in real time. Ref is miles away.

The argument for it it not being a penalty I guess is that Jiminez's touch was also bad. He's not nicked the ball off Pope he's kicked it away and not even really towards the goal. It means he's running across Pope which causes him to go into him.

If it was given I'd have no arguments but the fact there's discussion means I think stick with on-field decision. Refs should perhaps be a bit more forthright in saying to the VAR "I was miles away - what do you think?".

We were actually really lucky, for the record it was not a penalty - I watched it a couple of times and the only contact was from Jimenez on Pope.

The reason I say we were lucky was that the Linesman on that side went to flag a foul and then stopped himself.  I think if the on-field officials had given it then it might not have been overturned by VAR.

Popes touch was rotten though, it should never have been a decision to make.  I can forgive him that one considering the 2 or 3 amazing saves he made later in the game.

31 minutes ago, The Butcher said:

The more I see it the more I think Jimenez should've been booked for diving. Open goal and he throws himself into Pope.

No wonder he hasn't scored in a year.

Personally think he knew he had lost the touch as it was so bad and just went to buy the foul. He barely appealed it iirc, certainly not vociferously