Dogawful Officiating

Guest YANKEEBLEEDSMAGPIE

The ref set the tone for the game in the first 5 minutes. Two blatant yellow cards that went unpunished for pretty poor tackles. 

I can’t comment on the VAR decision as I obviously don’t understand the rules of football anymore. 

Even Forest fans can be angry with him, so many bad calls on both sides. Dennis foul and booking on Trippier was really bad and took away a really dangerous counter. No idea how Tierney missed Bruno kicking Dennis twice on the edge of the box either and the pen is fucking soft. Just hilariously bad performance all night.

Edited by Pata

1 minute ago, Pata said:

Even Forest fans can be angry with him, so many bad calls on both sides. Dennis foul and booking on Trippier was really bad and took away a really dangerous counter. No idea how Tierney missed Bruno kicking Dennis twice in the edge of the box either and the pen is fucking soft. Just hilariously bad performance all night.

I thought Tierney was absolutely horseshit too but the one decision he definitely got right was the pen. The guy raises his hand above his head to block the ball, I'm not sure how that is in any way "soft"? It's a stonewaller.

2 minutes ago, Pilko said:

I thought Tierney was absolutely horseshit too but the one decision he definitely got right was the pen. The guy raises his hand above his head to block the ball, I'm not sure how that is in any way "soft"? It's a stonewaller.

I would have no complaints if a header that's going over the bar hitting accidentally an arm wouldn't result in a spot kick but guess it's more the rules fault than Tierney's. 

4 minutes ago, RobsonsWonderland said:

I don't mind VAR as a principle but I don't see why we have to have so many angles, slow mo’s and freeze frames.

Give the ref a max 2 views in real time speed. Then if he can't make his mind up with his own eyes then he goes with his own pitch decision.

You can't fault the process when it's all about incompetent people somehow not familiar with the rules despite it being their fucking job. 

Just now, Pata said:

I would have no complaints if a header that's going over the bar hitting accidentally an arm wouldn't result in a spot kick but guess it's more the rules fault than Tierney's. 

It's not "accidentally" though if he's raised his arm in the air like a schoolkid answering a teacher's question. It's beyond the argument about arms being raised to jump, he's hoisted it above his head for no other reason than to try and block the ball.

1 minute ago, Pilko said:

It's not "accidentally" though if he's raised his arm in the air like a schoolkid answering a teacher's question. It's beyond the argument about arms being raised to jump, he's hoisted it above his head for no other reason than to try and block the ball.

Maybe it's just him trying to be a defender and the ball just happened to go there. No intention, but a penalty nonetheless. Don't think he planned to block anything with his arms and get away with it. Just happens.

The penalty was as clear as you get, though was worried for a fraction of a second that Tierney wouldn't give it

Tierney was awful, all started from that blatant foul by Ayew which should have been a booking. Forest saw that as the yardstick and kept committing fouls and he kept letting them mostly get away with it.

Then to top it off he denies Anderson his first goal with an illogical and almost law defying decision

Just glad we got all 3 points.

1 hour ago, Hanshithispantz said:

They explained in commentary that it's a subjective call on whether the 2 defenders played the ball or had it played off them.

So basically the officials went out of their way to chalk off a brilliant and unique goal. Just horrific, joyless men.

VAR was supposed to correct clear and obvious errors, wasn’t it? It’s more like find any excuse possible to chalk off a goal for a non “top six” side/allow for them. Absolutely disgusted at that call. Not even interested in how it could be explained. It’s horse poo that VAR steps in to get that disallowed.

At the very least they should have to explain the decision. 

When they’ve decided, switch on the mic for 15 seconds. “Goal disallowed, offside, defender plays the ball accidentally therefore attacker is still offside”. Kind of thing they do in NFL. 

If they are going to keep this ridiculous situation they at least have to communicate what happened. 

In cases like this ambiguity is their best friend, because absolutely everyone is looking at it wondering if they’ve missed something. Explaining this particular decision would just confirm that our match officials are grossly incompetent.

1 hour ago, Kid Icarus said:

It's an awful decision, but it's the fact they've robbed Anderson of his first goal, Isak of an assist, and us all of Isak's skill, and a brilliant goal more than anything. Up there with that MacAllister goal they disallowed. Miserable cunts.

Honestly man, just fuck VAR. I don't understand anyone who thinks the game is better off by not being able to celebrate a goal. Arguably the best part about going to games in Sweden is knowing that a goal is a fucking goal, I don't need to worry about anything but the linesmans flag.

Disallowing Andersons goal tonight is just incredibly shite referring, but it all comes from having VAR, it's fucking awful and ruins the game. 

Just now, Nobody said:

Honestly man, just fuck VAR. I don't understand anyone who thinks the game is better off by not being able to celebrate a goal. Arguably the best part about going to games in Sweden is knowing that a goal is a fucking goal, I don't need to worry about anything but the linesmans flag.

Disallowing Andersons goal tonight is just incredibly shite referring, but it all comes from having VAR, it's fucking awful and ruins the game. 

Disagree overall, but instances like these undoubtedly ruin it. I wasn't restrained at all with any celebrations tonight tbh.

Just now, Kid Icarus said:

Disagree overall, but instances like these undoubtedly ruin it. I wasn't restrained at all with any celebrations tonight tbh.

I didn’t fully celebrate either goal on Sunday. As thought Isak might have got pinged for his slight push (was up the other end) and thought Almiron was offside. 

Had a feeling there was an offside in the build up. Or that they were going to get Isak for handball. But don’t think VAR can go back for that unless it is the player scoring. But unlike last week. Went absolutely mental when Anderson scored. 

Absolute shit that every goal now you are always waiting for that fucking screen to pop up. 

10 minutes ago, Lush Vlad said:

I didn’t fully celebrate either goal on Sunday. As thought Isak might have got pinged for his slight push (was up the other end) and thought Almiron was offside. 

Had a feeling there was an offside in the build up. Or that they were going to get Isak for handball. But don’t think VAR can go back for that unless it is the player scoring. But unlike last week. Went absolutely mental when Anderson scored. 

Absolute shit that every goal now you are always waiting for that fucking screen to pop up. 

I disagree with the concept you "can't celebrate" a goal due to VAR existing. It's the same core principle as saying you couldn't "celebrate" a goal in the past because the linesman might've raised the offside flag and you didn't notice before celebrating, so what is the point of celebrating until you see the linesman keeps his flag down? Or what if the ref blows his whistle a few seconds after you've burst into celebration? Can't celebrate before we know the ref doesn't blow his whistle.

It's a self-enforced "punishment" that doesn't need to be there. You knew goals could be disallowed for tons of reasons in the past, yet you wouldn't withold your immediate reaction to the goal because of that. The only downside is it takes longer for a goal to be disallowed or not with VAR, however, if VAR worked as intended the game would be a lot more fair overall. I didn't see any of the NUFC fans not celebrating spontaniously when the disallowed goal went in, if you don't celebrate because of some weird issue with "VAR might disallow it" then that's a personal issue, not an issue with VAR. 

Just fucking celebrate and enjoy the game and then deal with the disappointment after if the goal is disallowed, just as you would've back in the days before VAR where a late offiside call might've disallowed it.

I don't think this is dealing with the fact that VAR has lead to goals now regularly being belatedly cancelled for esoteric reasons invisible to the human eye. Crowd wisdom gave a fair guide on whether a linesman was likely to raise his flag within a couple of seconds of the ball going in the net historically.

The guy sticks out his leg to cut out the cross, of course it's deliberate.The ball only goes in the direction of Longstaff because of this.

The Salah one is a through ball intended for him in offside position and reaches him by skimming off the defenders' head in the same direction. He as the offside player then receives the ball and scores immediately. No intervening actions or other players touching the ball like ours.

For an offside throughball that skims off a defender to be acceptable and but a long chain of events like ours to be illegal is a complete joke. The refs' logic justifying it sounds like government spokesmen defending waiting times in the NHS.

36 minutes ago, Kaizero said:

I disagree with the concept you "can't celebrate" a goal due to VAR existing. It's the same core principle as saying you couldn't "celebrate" a goal in the past because the linesman might've raised the offside flag and you didn't notice before celebrating, so what is the point of celebrating until you see the linesman keeps his flag down? Or what if the ref blows his whistle a few seconds after you've burst into celebration? Can't celebrate before we know the ref doesn't blow his whistle.

It's a self-enforced "punishment" that doesn't need to be there. You knew goals could be disallowed for tons of reasons in the past, yet you wouldn't withold your immediate reaction to the goal because of that. The only downside is it takes longer for a goal to be disallowed or not with VAR, however, if VAR worked as intended the game would be a lot more fair overall. I didn't see any of the NUFC fans not celebrating spontaniously when the disallowed goal went in, if you don't celebrate because of some weird issue with "VAR might disallow it" then that's a personal issue, not an issue with VAR. 

Just fucking celebrate and enjoy the game and then deal with the disappointment after if the goal is disallowed, just as you would've back in the days before VAR where a late offiside call might've disallowed it.

This is a little bit harsh. I haven't spontaneously decided not to celebrate goals... I've learned over a season that there are lots of goals that look perfectly fine but will later be ruled out for invisible infringements. That has conditioned me not to celebrate because I know there is a period following a goal where a team of people are looking for ways to rule it out. I don't know the numbers but it feels like the number of disallowed goals is much higher than it was before. 

Sometimes I forget and celebrate normally but a lot of the time I don't.

3 minutes ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

This is a little bit harsh. I haven't spontaneously decided not to celebrate goals... I've learned over a season that there are lots of goals that look perfectly fine but will later be ruled out for invisible infringements. That has conditioned me not to celebrate because I know there is a period following a goal where a team of people are looking for ways to rule it out. I don't know the numbers but it feels like the number of disallowed goals is much higher than it was before. 

Sometimes I forget and celebrate normally but a lot of the time I don't.

If you look at the core numbers for the 19/20 and 20/21 seasons, VAR was unfavorable towards the "Big 6" teams and favorable towards their opponents - by the number of overturned decisions by VAR.

In those two seasons, Newcastle placed 5th on favorable overturn decisions.

This season so far, Newcastle are placed 4th on favorable overturn decisions. Tottenham are 19th, Man City 18th, Arsenal 13th, Man Utd 11th, Chelsea 10th and Liverpool 3rd.

Prior to VAR the average "correct" decisions made by the referees over a PL season was 82%. It's risen to 94% after VAR was introduced.

On average, fewer penalties are given with VAR than without VAR. The amount of red cards have decreased on average, theoretically due to players knowing it is harder to get away with obvious fouls with VAR in effect.

I can't find it, but I recall from a previous discussion on the matter that on average VAR overturns a lino's wrong offside call more often than the other way around. That stat was globally though, not PL specific.