Dogawful Officiating

Guest YANKEEBLEEDSMAGPIE

With the “high bar” for clear and obvious then either way VAR weren’t going to overturn the onfield decision.

Jimenez knew what he was doing but so

did Pope. Most referees would have given a penalty and sent Pope off.

Edited by Tsunami

I cant see the point of Jimenez diving. He might get a penalty and sending off for Pope, but if he stays up it's a certain goal. Might have been not that big of a contact, but I think ref just bottled it. A bit like in Leicester-Chelsea with the first minute red card.

I would say Jimenez did not lose the ball / was not going out of the play.. But seems like some disagree and thats fine. I think these even out in the long run. We suffered from VAR against Palace

5 minutes ago, KingArthur said:

I cant see the point of Jimenez diving. He might get a penalty and sending off for Pope, but if he stays up it's a certain goal. Might have been not that big of a contact, but I think ref just bottled it. A bit like in Leicester-Chelsea with the first minute red card.

I would say Jimenez did not lose the ball / was not going out of the play.. But seems like some disagree and thats fine. I think these even out in the long run. We suffered from VAR against Palace

Seriously only look at his legs in that clip, the movements arent natural.

He pauses expecting contact, then spreads his legs to fall. Pope has nothing at all to do with it. Its a dive

Edited by geordie_b

13 minutes ago, Tsunami said:

With the “high bar” for clear and obvious then either way VAR weren’t going to overturn the onfield decision.

Jimenez knew what he was doing but so

did Pope. Most referees would have given a penalty and sent Pope off.

Pope didn't make contact deliberately though, not sure what you mean by 'knew what he was doing'.

11 minutes ago, Sempiternal said:

I don’t think he’s getting that touch personally, he sort of throws his arms up but I wouldn’t say he’s vociferously appealing for the pen either 

Possibly he thinks it's so clear that he doesn't need to appeal :lol:

Obviously I disagree.

1 minute ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

Possibly he thinks it's so clear that he doesn't need to appeal :lol:

Obviously I disagree.

Yeah :lol: footballers generally appeal as much as they can for any decision and be barely does, very half hearted 

41 minutes ago, Froggy said:

It looks like a stonewall penalty from a couple of angles, then from others it looks like Jimenez has made a meal of it. It's very close. 

100% 

Personally don't think you can give the ref too much heat for awarding it either way as it's an incredibly difficult decision, particularly in real time. It's certainly not clear and obvious enough to overturn the on-field decision. 

Agree that Madley is a poor ref on the whole though.

image.thumb.png.3a18c61198e77874bb172630e15fd780.png

Not saying this is a bad decision either, but no other thread for it really.

I didn't think a pen at first, but is he not stopping a clear goalscoring opportunity? I thought the new rules suggested that was a pen.

3 minutes ago, KingArthur said:

Was the ball going to Weghorst without the hand ball?

If it was, then it certainly was not denying obvious goal scoring opportunity.

:lol: I've made that joke myself this morning. 

I couldn't tell for certain if it was a handball when I was watching it tbh. The rule is sleeve height now isn't it, and I thought it was hard to tell whether it hit his arm below that point at any time. 

Edited by Kid Icarus

1 hour ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

Pope didn't make contact deliberately though, not sure what you mean by 'knew what he was doing'.

We can disagree on that, looks to me that Pope is absolutely looking to impede Jimenez, not much, but enough. Jimenez is definitely looking for the contact and I don’t understand why. 

1 hour ago, KingArthur said:

That's a bad dive for me. His touch is a bit heavy and I think he's instinctively decided he's not getting to it before the angle is gone. Look at how he dangles his trailing leg along the floor in the hope that Pope will trip it. I can't see anything Pope has done there to cause him to fall.

1 hour ago, KingArthur said:

Looking at if from this angle suggests Pope commits the foul and a penalty but if you see if from another angle like behind the goal you can see that Although Pope goes for the ball, Jiminez angles towards Pope to clash not Pope to Jiminez.

If you look form the other angle you can clearly see Pope angling back a bit so as not to initiate first contact.

Edited by magvicar
spelling

I think if that's Sa, or Pope at Molineux, in the exact same incident then the ref at least goes to the monitor. You look at the wide Premier League table and there's generally wide discrepancies between respective home and away records, and a part of that will be decisions like this.

https://www.soccerstats.com/widetable.asp?league=england

Edited by Paullow

9 hours ago, KingArthur said:

From 80 metres away in the Gallowgate it looked like a nailed on penalty watching the clip above I'm not sure. From the first angle it looks like Pope pulls his arm away before any contact. Which might explain why Jimenez didn't appeal if he didn't get the contact he was anticipating?!?  Either way I'd hope our strikers would be screaming blue murder for that if it happened with them and I'm surprised he wasn't :lol: