Dogawful Officiating

Guest YANKEEBLEEDSMAGPIE

To put it simply VAR was implemented to accommodate the most petulant and self-entitled dorks in the world. And now, after every single game, we have to bear with said dorks microscopically analyzing every minute detail of every refereeing decisions in astonishing detail. I can' really put into words how tedious that is. Currently all football discussion is absolutely dominated by this - I'm not saying refereing debate wasn't there before VAR, but after its implementation it has amplified it to a deafening level. Football is being thrusted into some kind of binary nerd-world which to me is becoming unbearable. 

If Muniz knows Maguire cannot touch the ball he's free to close down McTominay. He's clearly interfering with play.

The problem is that things like this will happen all the time, there will be marginal offsides on many set pieces, which will lead to defenders doing things they wouldn't do if they're aware the attacker they're marking is essentially out of play. They're just not as obvious as this was.

Not sure what the solution is though.

I think like the Maguire offside decision looks right to me, he's commits an offside offence by:

"(...)

preventing an opponent from playing or being able to play the ball by clearly obstructing the opponent’s line of vision or

challenging an opponent for the ball or

clearly attempting to play a ball which is close when this action impacts on an opponent or

making an obvious action which clearly impacts on the ability of an opponent to play the ball

*The first point of contact of the 'play' or 'touch' of the ball should be used"

Looks to me like you could pick any of them! He's certainly attempting to play the ball, gets very close to it and impacting the opponent, probably stops the Fulham defender from being able to get to it - looks like the defender can't get his leg round to play the ball cause Maguire's physically in the way.

Plus his enormous head is obviously going to be obstructing the defender's line of vision.

Edited by Checko

9 minutes ago, Froggy said:

I understand that, but Muniz wasn't marking Garnacho. It's just a very thin line of what constitues interfering with play.

You look at this decision and then look at the Akanji one and I think the latter is far more clear cut, yet it was given.

Muniz marking Garnacho is irrelevant, his ability to clear the ball was impacted by an offside player, it's clear cut to me

I agree the Akanji goal was a joke 

Honestly I get a lot of the noise around VAR, but what I don't get is that in one case VAR is being criticised for not taking enough time on a key decision, which may have led to a mistake. In the next case people are complaining about VAR taking too long, and saying that there should be a time limit. No wonder they feel stressed about having to make the decision as soon as possible, and that type of stress can lead to mistakes..

Edited by Erikse

An interesting take I read that I agree with is as much as we complain about VAR one of the issues we have is players trying to deceive refs. And I agree with that and maybe it should be the next clampdown. 

Some easy fixes:

Make simulation red cardable, and be much more willing to yellow card when you suspect simulation. Sterling I think it was last night should easily have been booked for trying to buy a penalty (Check complete - on field decision stands - no penalty - suggest booking for simulation). Blatant cases where they're looking for the foul and contact isn't even made should be a red with a 3 match suspension.

Going down clutching your face such as when Bruno made contact with the chest and the various other flavours of going down theatrically should be punishable by a yellow too.

Would we end up with a few yellows that possibly aren't? Sure, but we get that for legitimate tackles anyway. And the number would reduce when players realised what was happening and they stop doing it. 

The games the game and players try to take what edge they can. I get that. But the above examples are going into cheating territory for me and for all the talk of improving the standards of officiating we could start with improving the standards of playing. 

11 hours ago, Cf said:

An interesting take I read that I agree with is as much as we complain about VAR one of the issues we have is players trying to deceive refs. And I agree with that and maybe it should be the next clampdown. 

Some easy fixes:

Make simulation red cardable, and be much more willing to yellow card when you suspect simulation. Sterling I think it was last night should easily have been booked for trying to buy a penalty (Check complete - on field decision stands - no penalty - suggest booking for simulation). Blatant cases where they're looking for the foul and contact isn't even made should be a red with a 3 match suspension.

Going down clutching your face such as when Bruno made contact with the chest and the various other flavours of going down theatrically should be punishable by a yellow too.

Would we end up with a few yellows that possibly aren't? Sure, but we get that for legitimate tackles anyway. And the number would reduce when players realised what was happening and they stop doing it. 

The games the game and players try to take what edge they can. I get that. But the above examples are going into cheating territory for me and for all the talk of improving the standards of officiating we could start with improving the standards of playing. 

Wish I could give loads of likes to this.  What a great response.  Players cheating cause most if not all of the contentious decisions.

5 minutes ago, Stifler said:

‘Be a ref’, this cunt took a multiple choice online test earlier this morning, passed by chance, and is now refereeing a Champions League game.

Didn’t think he did badly after the Hall booking in all honesty

Just now, geordie_b said:

Or you look it another way and after the Hall booking he was awfully inconsistent

Sure, he didn’t book them when they should have had a couple of cards but it was hardly a shocker. He gave free kicks correctly throughout really and the game flowed well

It was a fairly easy game for him tbf, nothing particularly tough that I can remember. But aside from the ridiculous early yellow for Hall I can't think of much glaringly wrong. That's an above average performance these days. :lol:

2 minutes ago, gbandit said:

Sure, he didn’t book them when they should have had a couple of cards but it was hardly a shocker. He gave free kicks correctly throughout really and the game flowed well

But by not booking them they had a free pass to keep fouling, did Hall have that luxury? 

Edited by geordie_b

Just now, geordie_b said:

But by not booking them they had a feee pass to keep fouling, did Hall have that luxury? 

No he didn’t, thankfully he got hooked though as he wasn’t ready for a game like this just yet. Perhaps he would be with match fitness but we won’t know for a while as Tino will be starting on the left 

I was impressed by him overall to be fair. Need to see the Hall yellow replay again, but it looked like he got conned on that one, but the first time I saw it I thought it was a foul too. Can't expect perfection when people are out to trick you.

Thought the ref was fine. Surprising actually as someone posted his record and the enormous number of yellows he gives. Hall's seemed a bit soft, the linesman didn't even flag. Thought Sabitzer probably should have been yellowed near half time for taking down Longstaff, but no major gripes at all.

Mind you - throw in given again Willock when he clearly kept it in. FUCK YOU OFFICIALS, YOU'RE A DISGRACE. IT COST US THREE POINTS TODAY. I'M EMBARRASSED TO BE IN THIS COMPETITION.

On 07/11/2023 at 07:44, Cf said:

Some easy fixes:

It sounds great in principle, I'm all for clamping down on diving.

In practice it'd be impossible to implement. The difference between a dive, going down easy or a player merely falling over can be marginal. Particularly when you have someone like Sterling who will be about eight stone wet through with a low centre of gravity.

Then you have players like Gordon or Vardy who initiate contact, but are technically fouled. It's a very murky area and I have degree of sympathy for refs.

Some ideas could be making it mandatory for attackers to try and continue. If they haven’t tried to stay on their feet then it’s not a freekick or pen. 

Or if the attacker moves into the contact it’s not a foul. 

Possibly moves the needle too far the other way, but you get what I mean. 

Really we’ve created a culture now where it’s impossible to judge what is normal behaviour, so it’s really hard to fix things from this point.

In almost every other sport you try and put a brave face on and continue, in football crying at nothing is normal. It’s a very strange situation. 

49 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

It sounds great in principle, I'm all for clamping down on diving.

In practice it'd be impossible to implement. The difference between a dive, going down easy or a player merely falling over can be marginal. Particularly when you have someone like Sterling who will be about eight stone wet through with a low centre of gravity.

Then you have players like Gordon or Vardy who initiate contact, but are technically fouled. It's a very murky area and I have degree of sympathy for refs.

Often the difference between a dive and falling over is the player turning around and claiming a penalty, or how they fall, etc. Body language can give a lot away.

For those looking for a foul or initiate contact incidents there's not necessarily punishment required but if the sentence "he was looking for that" is in any way applicable then benefit of doubt to the defender.

I'm not saying every instance needs punishment, nor that every foul that's not means deception has taken place.

Just that if referees were more proactive with it, and that reds were available for the most egregious examples, it would soon stop. And we accept that there's situations where refs would get it wrong. The same they do for anything else on the pitch.