Dogawful Officiating

Guest YANKEEBLEEDSMAGPIE

The problem refs will always face apart from players trying to con them every second of the game is football is one of the few sports where it is deemed that the ref has a responsibility to keep the players on the pitch for the spectacle so they are now being forced to go against the rules of the game the later in the match it goes. Also it seems to be forgotten but refs should never be expected to ref in the same as each other. Part of the game is sussing out what kind of referee you have on your hands. That’s why expecting consistency amongst referees over a season has always felt like a fool’s errand to me. Media scrutiny and the likes of VAR have brainwashed fans unfortunately.

I think a simple answer (to the question of stopping player simulation/faking) is to have the PL conduct a post game review (with all footage) and to issue yellow & red cards to players who bring the game into disrepute (e.g. simulation, diving, dissent, spitting, reckless play, etc.).

I think the Australian Football League (AFL) has a model that would work (I don't know if other football leagues have a model too), whereby the league reviews every game and can charge players & clubs for on-field actions that contravene rules and can then impose sanctions.  The AFL will review every game, will then "charge" players and/or clubs with offenses, will bring the player & club in to face those charges (in a pseudo court-room environment), and will decide if and what punishment is to be applied.  This process is conducted every week of the season (at the beginning of the week, immediately following each weekend's games) and, I think, is massively responsible for keeping a lot of this rubbish (the rubbish seen in football) out of the game.

Media really need to clamp down on how much time they spend on the refs now IMO. Seems it's all they fucking talk about, and it's boring as shite. So fucking what if a ref had a howler, talk about the game instead ffs. 

7 hours ago, Nobody said:

Media really need to clamp down on how much time they spend on the refs now IMO. Seems it's all they fucking talk about, and it's boring as shite. So fucking what if a ref had a howler, talk about the game instead ffs. 

As someone who stepped away from football for 10 years, I can confirm it was never this bad in the past. Sometimes, yes, but it was the exception, not the norm. Now it feels weird when there isn't steaming controversy.

Tempted to blame VAR but I think you have to factor in cultural, economic and technological (i.e. social media) changes as well.

9 hours ago, Nobody said:

Agreed, it’s not going to change shit. I think it’s fine to bring attention to laws of the game that are absurd like the handball ruling but individual refereeing errors should get 10% talking time and the rest should be football 

12 hours ago, 80 said:

As someone who stepped away from football for 10 years, I can confirm it was never this bad in the past. Sometimes, yes, but it was the exception, not the norm. Now it feels weird when there isn't steaming controversy.

Tempted to blame VAR but I think you have to factor in cultural, economic and technological (i.e. social media) changes as well.

Agree in general but I would deffo blame VAR. The state of that Spurs game man! Surely this is not the direction we want football to go in. 

1 hour ago, JCONA said:

Agree in general but I would deffo blame VAR. The state of that Spurs game man! Surely this is not the direction we want football to go in. 

Oh definitely, I detest VAR. But there are definitely some people who think that is the direction football should go in - accuracy ahead of fun. Postecoglou sounded like an out of touch dinosaur after the match, talking about getting on with life without complaining too much, and I loved him for it.

(Note: I don't actually know the details of the Spurs match but I'm under the impression most of the interventions were correct, it was just the quantity that was shocking).

Interesting that the panel assessment was Havertz and Udogie both should have seen red (Udogie for his two footer which got him his first yellow). Will we now see correct refereeing and red cards being given for these tackles now or will it be the same old bottle jobs?

16 hours ago, Skeletor said:

Interesting that the panel assessment was Havertz and Udogie both should have seen red (Udogie for his two footer which got him his first yellow). Will we now see correct refereeing and red cards being given for these tackles now or will it be the same old bottle jobs?

I dont get why in those instances, the ref can't just ask to watch it back. He just goes straight to the screen they show it and he makes a call. He's going to be waiting for VAR anyway, then has to have a look, so just go over watch a replay then decide. 

Is this sharing of information from PGMOL and the Premier league panel the same thing or are they separate? And is this the first season where there’s been this much communication back to the fans about appraisals of referee’s performances? I personally think it’s a good thing. The more that accountability or culpability is highlighted I don’t think it will necessarily reduce human error but I think it will reduce bias if they know that every game will be reviewed and shared in a similar manner 

23 minutes ago, Adam said:

I dont get why in those instances, the ref can't just ask to watch it back. He just goes straight to the screen they show it and he makes a call. He's going to be waiting for VAR anyway, then has to have a look, so just go over watch a replay then decide. 

I don't know how any referee could see either of those tackles in real time and have any doubt it's a red card to begin with. The only possible factor is the team the player is playing for that makes them bottle giving the red card.

On 09/11/2023 at 00:07, Nobody said:

Definitely, in fact the media obsession with decisions is part of the reason we ended up with VAR in the first place. 

Just now, The Prophet said:

I remember back in the late early 80s watching a game in the Gala field Newbiggin Hall and the ref, little tubby fella, sent off a bloke on a Sunday morning. 5mins later the bloke drives his car on to the pitch and chases the ref round. Fucking hilarious it was. That's when these games would regularly get 400-500 people watching.......except the last half hour when they'd all piss off to the Comrades, Hall or Mede for opening time.

There's a growing trend in the welsh FA where referees are refusing to do DBS checks so that they can't do youth football.

A referee in a U13 game was prevented from getting into his car at the weekend and parents were getting physical with him. No serious contact thankfully but (a) wtf, its an u13 game and (b) that's just going to transfer to the kids on the pitch