James Tomkins

Dave

He's some kind of relation of mine (second cousin or some bollocks), so for that, I think he'd be a fantastic signing :thup:

Is he from Stevo? There was a West Ham player a few of my mates knew and I thought it could have been him but wasn't sure.

He's some kind of relation of mine (second cousin or some bollocks), so for that, I think he'd be a fantastic signing :thup:

Is he from Stevo? There was a West Ham player a few of my mates knew and I thought it could have been him but wasn't sure.

Quite possibly.  The family link comes from my grandads side of the family, and he's certainly lived in and around Stevenage/Hitchin/Letchworth all his life.  I have a feeling James's family moved down to/live down in London a while ago, but I don't know exactly.  Pretty sure he'd have some sort of roots in Stevenage either way.

Quite possibly.  The family link comes from my grandads side of the family, and he's certainly lived in and around Stevenage/Hitchin/Letchworth all his life.  I have a feeling James's family moved down to/live down in London a while ago, but I don't know exactly.  Pretty sure he'd have some sort of roots in Stevenage either way.

Cheers, probably is him then :thup:

He'd be excellent with Colo. An example of a young, talented centre half struggled by being paired with s***. Steven Taylor being the classic example.

Funny Taylor managed to look bad alongside Coloccini last season. As usual it's always somebody else's fault.

what utter crap. no doubt you knew i was going to post that.

may i cast your mind back to the relegation season when colo was shite with no matter who he was partnered with, soft on the ball, soft in the challange, bad decisions, poor on the ball. even at the start of the championship season taylor was the pick of the centre halves (who even then continued to gift poor teams chances they couldn't take). it wasn't until midway through the season that colo woke up to english football and started the improvement that has finished up with him as he is now.

when taylor came back from injury he looked a bit rusty (nowhere near as bad as colo in his first premier season mind) but then settled in to play well, especially toward the end of the season.

He'd be excellent with Colo. An example of a young, talented centre half struggled by being paired with s***. Steven Taylor being the classic example.

Funny Taylor managed to look bad alongside Coloccini last season. As usual it's always somebody else's fault.

what utter crap. no doubt you knew i was going to post that.

may i cast your mind back to the relegation season when colo was shite with no matter who he was partnered with, soft on the ball, soft in the challange, bad decisions, poor on the ball. even at the start of the championship season taylor was the pick of the centre halves (who even then continued to gift poor teams chances they couldn't take). it wasn't until midway through the season that colo woke up to english football and started the improvement that has finished up with him as he is now.

when taylor came back from injury he looked a bit rusty (nowhere near as bad as colo in his first premier season mind) but then settled in to play well, especially toward the end of the season.

What's this revisionist history? :yuno: Colo was good up until Xmas time of the relegation season, where he'd played every minute of every match in an utterly woeful team, bereft of any confidence, leadership (KK) or tactics (JFK). It's not rocket science to understand that his performance was going to drop off, given the above and that it was his first taste of English football - the Liverpool home game seemed to be the straw that broke the camel's back, he dropped right off for a few weeks after that. No surprise, given that he was torn a new one by Gerrard.

There's a popular myth going around that says Colo was shite in his first season and only 'learnt' how to play in England during the Championship - I suspect this is perpetuated by the section of our support who wrote him off during his first 18months ("fuckin' shite foreigner, get rid") and have now done a complete 180 :shifty:

How is this lad "highly rated" as the article in the OP says? Was instrumental in relegating them.

colo and taylor,nolan, enrique,barton, carroll were instrumental in relegating us !

Fair comment :thup:

As we've seen recently, our squad is pretty thin at the back so a young player that can play right back or centre back is welcomed, would probably be an improvement on last weekends centreback options too.

Freely admit I thought Colo was poor when he first arrived, he looked very shaky and error-prone IMO. Obviously I might have been wrong, but that's what I thought. We did have a history of signing awful CBs as well, which didn't help.

You thought he was poor because he often played poorly!!!!! Don't think you got a thing wrong there, like!!!!

When he first arrived he was alright, got worse, made mistakes that cost us goals. We were relegated, he got some form in the CCC and carried that through to the Prem last season and this and has been getting better all the time.

I watched quite a bit of Tomkins the past two seasons, due to the recommendation of a Wham supporting friend who rates him quite highly. He seemed completely out of his depth to me, and made quite a few howlers and seemed to crumble under pressure. It may have been too soon for him, as he is young, and Wham were awful all around so that didn't help. I suppose that he would work as a backup, with a good upside if he indeed develops into a more reliable player.

How about this for plagiarism (compare it to the OP):

http://www.dailystar.co.uk/football/view/225504/Sam-Allardyce-no-to-Toon/

SAM ALLARDYCE 'NO' TO TOON

14th December 2011

By Dave Armitage

SAM ALLARDYCE has rejected a £2.5m bid from Newcastle for West Ham star James Tomkins.

West Ham have rejected a £2.5million bid from Newcastle for James Tomkins.

But the Hammers are still facing a battle to convince the defender to sign a new contract at Upton Park.

But the Hammers are still facing a battle to convince the highly-rated defender to sign a new contract.

Allardyce means to keep the 22-year old and snubbed the offer Newcastle made at the weekend.

Manager Sam Allardyce is determined to keep the 22-year-old and snubbed Newcastle’s offer, which was made over the weekend.

Former Hammers boss Alan Pardew had targeted Tomkins after losing Steven Taylor for the rest of the season with an Achilles injury.

Allardyce's Magpies counterpart Alan Pardew, a former West Ham boss, had targeted Tomkins after losing centre-back Steven Taylor for the rest of the season with an Achilles injury.

Tomkins, who has been with the club since the age of seven, has been in talks over a new deal but is keen on a return to the Premier League.

Tomkins, who has been with the London club since the age of seven, has been in talks over a new deal but is keen on a return to the Premier League following Hammers' relegation last season.

Newcastle could come back with another offer in the New Year while QPR are also huge admirers.

Newcastle could come back with another offer in the New Year, while QPR are also huge admirers of the player.

Allardyce said: “We’ve been negotiating with him and will continue that in January. I am optimistic.

“We’ve been negotiating with him and will continue that in January. I am optimistic," said Allardyce.

“We can ill-afford to lose any players at this stage of the season.”

“We can ill afford to lose any players at this stage of the season.”

Tomkins has more than two years remaining on his current deal.

Tomkins has over two years remaining on his current deal.

Glorious :lol: :lol: :lol:

Me doing an essay-tastic. Apart from I use Wiki.

How is this lad "highly rated" as the article in the OP says? Was instrumental in relegating them.

colo and taylor,nolan, enrique,barton, carroll were instrumental in relegating us !

Very much so, they all proved themselves in the Premiership after though.

Aye, but Tomkins hasn't had that chance yet.

6_AaronLee Aaron Lee

2.5 mill for tomkins fuck off pardew hes better then any center half at newcastle thats a piss take

sewellyy James Sewell

@6_AaronLee Tomkins better than Coloccini? No.

6_AaronLee Aaron Lee

@Sewellyy yea i think hes better dont rate him hes a piss poor puyol look alike

:jones: