James Tomkins

Dave

Doesn't look good on paper, but I'll back the scouts/staff until they start making poor signings.

Perch? Obertan? Gosling? Campbell/Ireland/Kuqi?

Perch - a Calderwood-inspired Hughton buy; not hard to convince Ashley because he was cheap and fits the profile.

Obertan - a Pards-inspired buy; not hard to convince Ashley because he was cheap and fits the profile.

Gosling - freebie/opportunistic signing; made cos of his lack of cost

Campbell - made sense on paper, backfired

Ireland - always a nutjob/temporary so no loss

Kuqi - our hands were tied/temporary so no loss

You can argue anything any which way. :lol:

Nowhere near as bad a player as people in here are making out. As you'd expect from a young defender, he had a bad time last season when West Ham's defence were almost constantly under pressure without any semblance of organisation or leadership, but he's looked much more steady and confident when I've seen him this year (I watch West Ham quite regularly since my father in law is a fan of theirs).

:thup:

Doesn't look good on paper, but I'll back the scouts/staff until they start making poor signings.

Kuqi was a stop gap. Gosling and Campbell were free transfers and Ireland was only a loan signing.

Admittedly Perch and Obertan have been poor, I supposed it depends on the market. I don't know which scout is looking at Tomkins, probably not Carr so may not be great.

What do you mean by that?

I meant I don't know how good our other staff are? Who's watching Tomkins play this season? Is it from Pardew's 'sources'?

Obviously if we had Carr watching him regular then I'd be more inclined to back it despite having the perception he's shit as Carr has scouted almost perfectly.

However it seems he's probably just scouring the foreign market so my initial reaction of 'If we like the look of him I won't judge till he's played' may be wide of the mark #AlanOliver.

Kuqi was a stop gap. Gosling and Campbell were free transfers and Ireland was only a loan signing.

Admittedly Perch and Obertan have been poor, I supposed it depends on the market. I don't know which scout is looking at Tomkins, probably not Carr so may not be great.

I meant I don't know how good our other staff are? Who's watching Tomkins play this season? Is it from Pardew's 'sources'?

Obviously if we had Carr watching him regular then I'd be more inclined to back it despite having the perception he's shit as Carr has scouted almost perfectly.

However it seems he's probably just scouring the foreign market so my initial reaction of 'If we like the look of him I won't judge till he's played' may be wide of the mark #AlanOliver.

See I just don't buy this. Are we to believe all our good signings came because of Carr and all the not so good ones didn't? He's our chief scout, I can't see why he wouldn't be involved in any of our signings.

See I just don't buy this. Are we to believe all our good signings came because of Carr and all the not so good ones didn't? He's our chief scout, I can't see why he wouldn't be involved in any of our signings.

Not necessarily, but it's clear he's scouting abroad and so it's highly likely he spotted those ones first.

I don't know who scouts the rest, maybe it's a combination of Carr/Pardew/other sources.

£2.5m ? Cheeky b*stards !! He is a current England U21 International FFS - How much did Leicester pay for Mills ? £5m wasn't it. We should move heaven and earth to ensure that Noble and Tomkins are kept.

Pretty sure I've read or heard somewhere that Carr is involved primarily in international scouting. I don't think he attends matches in this country for us - could be wrong though.

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

Pretty sure I've read or heard somewhere that Carr is involved primarily in international scouting. I don't think he attends matches in this country for us - could be wrong though.

Aye, tends to be Norman Wooster who does domestic scouting.

he wears gloves and seems more bothered about his hair than concentrating on the game but he's a decent prospect so I'd have him

Paul Huntington esque. Plays to a fairly similar standard too. Not seen him this season but he was car crash last season.

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

he wears gloves and seems more bothered about his hair than concentrating on the game but he's a decent prospect so I'd have him

Paul Huntington esque. Plays to a fairly similar standard too. Not seen him this season but he was car crash last season.

Watched him tonight in the FA cup. Still poor.

I've came up with some pretty stringent criteria which I'm going to use to assess all over our defensive targets over the coming transfer window. Should they pass they'll be suitable for Newcastle United. I'll demonstrate below:

Is James Tomkins better than James Perch?    Yes (x)    No ( )    Not sure ( )

Conclusive. Welcome aboard Jimmy!

I've came up with some pretty stringent criteria which I'm going to use to assess all over our defensive targets over the coming transfer window. Should they pass they'll be suitable for Newcastle United. I'll demonstrate below:

Is James Tomkins better than James Perch?    Yes (x)    No ( )    Not sure ( )

Conclusive. Welcome aboard Jimmy!

:lol:

From a recently-bumped thread on KUMB:

Very interesting to see what was put last year. "League 2 standard" "Will never make it", etc... I know it's the Championship and not the PL, but I knew in time, I knew he'd improve. Class player with maybe a little error (nothing like Wolves or Villa yet) in him from time to time, but will only improve further. Class act.

Worth noting that somebody on their forum thinks Noble would transform Man U's midfield and allow them to pip City to the title :lol:

From a recently-bumped thread on KUMB:

Very interesting to see what was put last year. "League 2 standard" "Will never make it", etc... I know it's the Championship and not the PL, but I knew in time, I knew he'd improve. Class player with maybe a little error (nothing like Wolves or Villa yet) in him from time to time, but will only improve further. Class act.

Worth noting that somebody on their forum thinks Noble would transform Man U's midfield and allow them to pip City to the title :lol:

saw that as well. dear god.

How about this for plagiarism (compare it to the OP):

http://www.dailystar.co.uk/football/view/225504/Sam-Allardyce-no-to-Toon/

SAM ALLARDYCE 'NO' TO TOON

14th December 2011

By Dave Armitage

SAM ALLARDYCE has rejected a £2.5m bid from Newcastle for West Ham star James Tomkins.

But the Hammers are still facing a battle to convince the defender to sign a new contract at Upton Park.

Allardyce means to keep the 22-year old and snubbed the offer Newcastle made at the weekend.

Former Hammers boss Alan Pardew had targeted Tomkins after losing Steven Taylor for the rest of the season with an Achilles injury.

Tomkins, who has been with the club since the age of seven, has been in talks over a new deal but is keen on a return to the Premier League.

Newcastle could come back with another offer in the New Year while QPR are also huge admirers.

Allardyce said: “We’ve been negotiating with him and will continue that in January. I am optimistic.

“We can ill-afford to lose any players at this stage of the season.”

Tomkins has more than two years remaining on his current deal.

14th December 2011

By Dave Armitage

SAM ALLARDYCE has rejected a £2.5m bid from Newcastle for West Ham star James Tomkins.

West Ham have rejected a £2.5million bid from Newcastle for James Tomkins.

But the Hammers are still facing a battle to convince the defender to sign a new contract at Upton Park.

But the Hammers are still facing a battle to convince the highly-rated defender to sign a new contract.

Allardyce means to keep the 22-year old and snubbed the offer Newcastle made at the weekend.

Manager Sam Allardyce is determined to keep the 22-year-old and snubbed Newcastle’s offer, which was made over the weekend.

Former Hammers boss Alan Pardew had targeted Tomkins after losing Steven Taylor for the rest of the season with an Achilles injury.

Allardyce's Magpies counterpart Alan Pardew, a former West Ham boss, had targeted Tomkins after losing centre-back Steven Taylor for the rest of the season with an Achilles injury.

Tomkins, who has been with the club since the age of seven, has been in talks over a new deal but is keen on a return to the Premier League.

Tomkins, who has been with the London club since the age of seven, has been in talks over a new deal but is keen on a return to the Premier League following Hammers' relegation last season.

Newcastle could come back with another offer in the New Year while QPR are also huge admirers.

Newcastle could come back with another offer in the New Year, while QPR are also huge admirers of the player.

Allardyce said: “We’ve been negotiating with him and will continue that in January. I am optimistic.

“We’ve been negotiating with him and will continue that in January. I am optimistic," said Allardyce.

“We can ill afford to lose any players at this stage of the season.”

Tomkins has over two years remaining on his current deal.

Glorious :lol: :lol: :lol:

14th December 2011

By Dave Armitage

:laugh: