Hatem Ben Arfa

Rich

The impending departure of Ba is the only acceptable reason for keeping HBA fresh and hungry until now. When Ba goes he absolutely must start every game. Otherwise I haven't a clue what Pards is doing.

I agree with this, the only saving grace is he's been 'saving him' for january, but ultimately it could just be 3 games, I'm positive he could have brought more to the team already this season if given the chance, on the wing for example.

He's never been a winger. He was forced to play there at Lyon.

He's got no interest in defending either. The full back would get completely merked.

was he forced to play on the wing for us last season? he looked pretty good at it either way. it's completely pointless citing supposed lack of defensive work when the alternative is Obertan.

try harder

What makes you think he'd be better than Obertan? At least Obertan has the pace to get back.

Not much point getting back if you're just gonna jump out of the way of every challenge or stand there looking hopeless though.

Guest Haris Vuckic

:lol: we didn't control any part of that game. at all. we passed it about once in 90 minutes  :lol:

We had a spell where we strung about 20-30 passes together but after that I think we were soundly beaten in all quarters.

:lol:

Maybe pardew wont take the risk with playing ben arfa on the wing until he has a left back in place and santon proves he can cope with the prem, so he can then take up the RB position.

Nani's only in the Man United team cos he works his bollocks off getting back tbf. Ronaldo was the same. Workhorse.

Can't compare them type of wingers, workhorse fans will say they are in a better side who don't need to defend as often, or something along them awful lines.

:lol: we didn't control any part of that game. at all. we passed it about once in 90 minutes  :lol:

We had a spell where we strung about 20-30 passes together but after that I think we were soundly beaten in all quarters.

Yep - the fans were doing the oles in the away end at the time.

How is it a risk compared to playing Obertan who does absolutely f*** all, offensively and defensively? :lol:

Pardew's played a blinder getting people to believe that it's even an issue.

Pardew claiming HBA would never be playing on the wing in this side before he had even kicked a ball this season, i think he thought people wouldn't question it and just accept and see HBA as a striker, he was sadly mistaken, not sure he predicted Obertan to be so naff to be fair like. He's running out of decent excuses himself.

Since when is a winger judged 95% based on what he does defensively? It would be nice if we used our wingers to attack their fullbacks instead of just using them to cover our own.

Completely agree, surely Jonas on the other side is providing enough defensive cover already or atleast is suppose to.....

Most teams will have a "playmaking" player on one side and a defensively solid player on the other side anyway i dont see why we cant.......

4-3-3 with Jonas and Ben Arfa on the wings and Cabaye-Tiote-Guthrie( when hes fit) would work up a treat imo........

The only problem apart from Santon the fullbacks are shite.

Also about Nani at Man Utd atleast he had a component defender behind him we have Simpson ffs.

Just caught up with the thread. So it seems that the quotes from the Sun are similar to those in Le Parisien. The Chronicle has a more positive spin to this situation so that's somewhat reassuring.

It is somewhat worrying what Ben Arfa has mentioned about Pardew favouring "direct football" and all that. But I definitely still have faith/trust in Pardew to do the right thing in the end. We most certainly played a passing game in the early part of the season and it's definitely still somewhat there (that brief spell of possession in the Liverpool game). Ben Arfa is the key to us having a passing game again methinks.

The more direct style we've had in recent games could be down to Pardew himself losing his confidence or even panicking a bit. I guess you could say that losing to Chelsea changed something in Pardew. Having said that Pardew has talked about Ben Arfa and the number 10 role in recent times and that is as good as an indicator as any really of his intent to try and play a proper passing game in the future.

Really, pre-season wasn't the best of times in that Pardew couldn't actually experiment with formations and different systems which would have presumably involved Ben Arfa as the focal point.

I, for one, can see Ben Arfa certainly getting more chances this year. I guess he is handling Ben Arfa in a way that would make the lad even more motivated to prove himself. If the lad doesn't get a chance when Ba goes to the ACoN, then that's when I'll start asking serious questions. I honestly don't think there's a rift behind the scenes. I trust Pardew to make the right call.....

(Oh and thought I'd mention Simon Bird is a c*** again :))

Or he felt that the other teams we've played against recently were a bit suspect at the back and thought a more direct approach was better...

Personally Id go for playing the ball on the deck with plenty of movement over long ball anyday.

I dont think Pardew sits in his office and thinks "right, long ball for the next few weeks"  his plans plan for each game may have to differ given the information he has been handed by his scouts. 

None of us have seen him have an extended run of games to make the judgement on Arfa, however pardew sees him in training everyday.

I was giving this argument weeks ago. But i think now we've seen enough to justify he should be atleast given a chance at starting a game ahead of Best & 19 year olds.

He has gotten assists & a goal in his last few games. Its not an unknown anymore, he's shown he offers a realistic threat going fowards. No one else apart from Ba is for us atm.

Santon has only played 3 games. How can you say he's better than our other fullbacks. :lol1:

Yh he's shown more capabilities defensively and offensively in those 3 games than Simpson and Raylor( bar a couple of excellent goals) have all season.......

Santon has only played 3 games. How can you say he's better than our other fullbacks. :lol1:

If he's not then why did we pay £5m for him?

He's a prospect. He hasn't done anything to be labelled better than Simpson...yet. Seriously, what's he done? Ran down wing a few times and that makes him better than someone who's played 80+(?) games for the club.

Yh he's shown more capabilities defensively and offensively in those 3 games than Simpson and Raylor( bar a couple of excellent goals) have all season.......

I'm sorry, this post is completely moronic.