Hatem Ben Arfa

Rich

Guest bimpy474

did he not get injured while being challenged?

Aye, he stretched to poke a ball forward, sort of in a challenge, not a heavy one though.

Hatem Ben Arfa will miss Sunday's trip to Southampton in the Premier League with a hamstring injury, manager Alan Pardew has confirmed.

The French international hobbled off shortly before half-time on Thursday night as Newcastle recorded a 1-1 Europa League draw with Maritimo.

Having been one of their brightest sparks this term, the loss of Ben Arfa is a big blow to United's impact in the final third of the pitch.

But while he is ruled out of a trip to the South Coast this weekend, Pardew is confident that the playmaker will not sidelined long-term.

"It's a hamstring problem, so it will definitely keep him out on Sunday, and probably next week. I don't know from then on," explained the boss.

It's absolutely shit news, obviously. But, just to clutch at straws, in a way a rest might benefit him. He's burned out after some blistering form earlier in the season (though i'd put that down to tactical deployment more than anything).

Guest hatem garrincha

He was getting better and better in the number 10 role yesterday, 10 minutes before his injury (after a timid start)

It's a shame really.

It's absolutely shit news, obviously. But, just to clutch at straws, in a way a rest might benefit him. He's burned out after some blistering form earlier in the season (though i'd put that down to tactical deployment more than anything).

:thup: it's straws as well but it might see a few of the other so called purple players take a bit more responsibility too while he's out instead of relying on HBA to do everything.

Minor point, but Gaston Ramirez for Southampton today was playing in the role that we really should be playing Hatem in, bit like a more advanced Cabaye in our version of last season's 4-3-3 (2 DM's, 3 AM's with 1 striker). Of course it helps that the style of play and the system around him suited a creative "number 10".

Guest malandro

Yesterday really exposed the problem with HBAs schoolyard dribbling. The rest of the team have forgotten how to play. I blame AP for not integrating HBAs talent into a team structure. Just letting him run around in an ill disciplined frenzy of ball hogging is plain lazy